What would you do?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As so many of you know, I have a few places that I rent out (listed in the RE section of DR1), and I field all sort of inquiries. Now, through word of mouth, I get three or four phone calls a month from Dominicans in NYC...But to the case in hand.

99.9% of the people I deal with are really nice and I was wondering how you guys would deal with an inquiry worded like this one. I am thinking that this is European mind set thinking:
"Good day We are 3 person of a new society in Santiago ( a free zone business) and must transfer in Santiago (Dominican Republic) from 1st August 2010 and we find a house from 120-150 m2 (min. 3 bedrooms), or residence with 3 mini apartment solution (living room with kitchen, bedroom and bathroom). We prefer zone La Esmeralda or same zone (with europe and american people) near Mall in good zone. Attended your notice quicly

There were two things that confused me: the idea of a place with three mini-apartments (like some beach condos?), anyway I have never seen or heard of such a place or places in Santiago, much less in the sector the person is looking at, so I tell the person that. And the person sends me back a note saying that he KNOWS they exist. I ask several RE people and they are like HUH???? WTF is that???
The next thing is this part about (with european and american people)....on some level that offends the crap outta me...

So, would you tell the person to go fly a kite or what? (Oh and they want to pay between US$500-600!!! For a furnished apartment???

Oh well, what do you all think>?

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The next thing is this part about (with european and american people)....on some level that offends the crap outta me...

HB

Offends the crap out of me too. Nor would I be too enamoured of 'Attended your notice quicly' although I guess English is not their first language.

You could take the trouble to explain that your neighbourhood has very nice Dominican people in it, but what's the point? I'm assuming you don't want to rent to these people, in case the mail signals the sort of issues they might bring with them? Too much hassle for a landlord!

Why not just send them back a website for an all inclusive hotel (not in Santiago) & tell them that if they are looking for Europeans and Americans, they will find some there? :)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Hey.....just tell em.....GREAT NEWS!!!......I found you a residence with a 4 MINI-APARTMENT SOLUTION!!....for $350.00 US per month....This apt also comes with Free use of a 2010 BMW......Free maid service.....Free valet parking.....Free health insurance.....and Free groceries......for the length of your stay......Have him call you back at 1-800-IAMCLULESS.......GUARANTEED........when he calls you back.....(I don't think he will get through though).............he will try to negotiate a lower price......You never know.....This deal could happen...........NOT..............

Reactions: MikeFisher
May 12, 2005
I think that there are plenty of better people out there to do business with. Next. But just out of curiosity couldn't they rent an entire house for $600 US/month in Santiago?

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Try to find out how are they so sure this kind of property is available in that particular region, could be interesting to know for you on which website they found that?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HB, why are you bothering with this? If the places you rent out either don't meet their requirements or are not available, why not just move on to other more pressing matters and let the "new society" people make their own search.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
As so many of you know, I have a few places that I rent out (listed in the RE section of DR1), and I field all sort of inquiries. Now, through word of mouth, I get three or four phone calls a month from Dominicans in NYC...But to the case in hand.

So, would you tell the person to go fly a kite or what? (Oh and they want to pay between US$500-600!!! For a furnished apartment???

HB

On a slightly related topic: HB, did you ever post pics of your unit? I for one would love to see it.

Thanks,

DRob

May 5, 2007
That verbiage sounds very similar to our friendly Nigerians

99.9% of the people I deal with are really nice and I was wondering how you guys would deal with an inquiry worded like this one. I am thinking that this is European mind set thinking:
"Good day We are 3 person of a new society in Santiago ( a free zone business) and must transfer in Santiago (Dominican Republic) from 1st August 2010 and we find a house from 120-150 m2 (min. 3 bedrooms), or residence with 3 mini apartment solution (living room with kitchen, bedroom and bathroom). We prefer zone La Esmeralda or same zone (with europe and american people) near Mall in good zone. Attended your notice quicly

There were two things that confused me: the idea of a place with three mini-apartments (like some beach condos?), anyway I have never seen or heard of such a place or places in Santiago, much less in the sector the person is looking at, so I tell the person that. And the person sends me back a note saying that he KNOWS they exist. I ask several RE people and they are like HUH???? WTF is that???

HB

Reactions: Celt202

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
One could interpret their description of "mini-apartment" to STUDIO and that they want to live in the same building or residence in order to be near each other. In many places in the world, a formerly grand residence has converted parts of the building into studio apartments - for example a widow who now needs to find income and has too much space to live in. It makes sense to me.

Also, maybe they are considering that any sector in Santiago with europeans or americans already living there translates into a safer area in which to live. (chances are, those types of people are not living in a poor barrio which may be unsafe, and there may be others living nearby who speak English to help them in the beginning). They may already know there is no "Czech" or "Polish" section in Santiago, so they generalized with a request for an area that may have some English speaking people. No reason to be offended HB, something was probably lost in translation, as in "little people".

Coming into a strange land with few or no connections, and no Spanish skills can be a scary proposition, and having a safe place to sleep when you're not at work makes life easier in the beginning. One needs business skills but not necessarily Spanish to open a successful business here if you have good support people - the Spanish can come along later. Who knows?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
That verbiage sounds very similar to our friendly Nigerians

Ten minutes ago, I typed - " This seems like the wording of a Nigerian scam" and then deleted it because I thought the "you are a racist" police might come out fighting...... but you've said it, so - I Agree...... :cheeky:

Rio

Reactions: MikeFisher

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If this was in SD then I would say it is the mass of UN workers now resident here part time who like to keep themselves within one small place. My block for instance started with 2 Indians moving in and then it ended up that 6 were staying in a 2 bedroomed apartment. Then they took another apartment, got the landlord to convert it into a more spacious setup. Now they are taking another two apartments and having them converted to thier needs. So in all the entire block is now a small UN Indian community with my family in the middle of it all. I expext we will be moved on somehow also in the near future.
Santiago though!! I am not sure if you have the same part time haiti workers over there.

I expect landlords love them as they know they can name thier price as the UN covers expenses.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not the scam, these are folks from southern Europe.
All of my units are now leased out.
I am curious on how other people feel about this.

No biggie, it is curious expression of their want/needs. And I gave a wide birth for language differences.

HB

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
HB..........All kiddin aside...they sound a little rough around the edges.......bad communication.....bad english.....or lack thereof........no tact.....a little crude......but who knows......whoever sent you the message might think that it sounded great.....and somehow this person was going to get a good result......I don't think their intent was to rub you the wrong way..........

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have a "funny" feeling

Almost ALL "Nigerian" scams and their spin offs start with "GOOD DAY" A form NOT often used in real life anymore and end with a sense of URGENCY for you to reply.
They also always include the expectations of a very "juicy" business proposition.

YOU would think that "oh, but... so much detail, and who would know about Santiago?...
Well, let me tell you that I've had Nigerian scan offers hit me with offers to buy STEEL GUITARS (how'bout that for a niche biz one would not expect them to know about?!?!)!

They READ the internet and can really get into it.

Short, I'd be very careful.... along the exchange of mails, there might be a story about a payment with an "Int'l certified check" coming up. Just might...

... J-D.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It doesn't seem all that odd to me. People are often way off on the cost of apartments and hotels in a foreign city...Remember those yahoos from Chicago who were "positive" there were several decent hotels in Santiago for $10-$15 a night?

In most major cities in the world there are plenty of aparthotels in the better neighborhoods that would rent studios for $500-600 a month (even in SD)...or was that the total they were looking to spend for 3 studios? And as for the "European/American" neighborhood, that makes some sense to me as an assumption that it's more ex-pat/tourist friendly and probably a little more upscale than a local neighborhood in a 3rd World country...

My initial take is it's some naive guys with bad information looking for something they probably won't find and as foreigners who don't speak Spanish will have trouble finding anyone to help them...which is why I assume HB was willing to give of his own time to try to help...

Then again, could be a new scam! :ninja:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes David,
you might be right.
on the other side the writing sounds to me very familiar to some mails/charter inquiries i receive every month of the 'scammers'.
did they offer to pay all upfront with a credit card?
b/c thats what my scammers always to me.
otherwise they easily also could be some nice eastern european folks looking for a good deal in santiago.
Louis,
if your own properties are anyways not available, just tell em that.
if you have space available, drop a e-mail with the rates and amenities, what's available and what not, so they can grab it or leave it.
but still, the writing style sound's suspicious to me.
cheers
Mike

getting ready for the Brits now against Algeria

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
It looks like they may have even used some online language translation site the way the email reads... I've gotten some pretty silly translations before using babelfish and google translator...