Car Rental

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Guys i know its a somewhat generic question but a looking for a small size (Mitsubishi Lancer) or comparable for the cheapest possible price.

I'll be in DR for two weeks in July, first time going back in over a year!!! Traveling everywhere from Barahona, Samana, the Capital and whats in between!!

Any thoughts/heads up would be appreciated. Just looking to save some bucks kiddos

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I love the Mitsubishi Lancer, great choice for a rental while visiting and sightseeing around the island! :)
I have been using Europcar for my last 4 visits to the island and have had no complaints with them in terms of customer service and vehicles. I usually get a Chevy Aveo for about $19 to $21 USD a day which is a decent price for that size car. The Lancer ends up costing about $5 USD more daily because of its category. I have managed to sweet talk my way into getting a Lancer at a lower price but that depends who you get at the counter and how well you can work the charm :)
Have fun and drive carefully! :)

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Get the hell out!!!! a Lancer for less than US$30....Whats the contact info for them jalen.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Jalen, thanks again buddy! i booked the car for nine days and all in its like US$377 which i find reasonable, since i was actually thinking it would be double that rate.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey there

Jalen, thanks again buddy! i booked the car for nine days and all in its like US$377 which i find reasonable, since i was actually thinking it would be double that rate.

sorry i took so long to respond, i havent logged on in a while.
Contrary to other posters and individuals that have used Europcar, I have never had a negative experience with them. In fact, I find it much easier to deal with the customer service representatives directly than booking upon arrival to the island. You can get great deals on rentals on travel websites, I usually rely on Travelocity for this, and then print our your reservation. I then call Europcar directly [the offices located in Gazcue on la Avenida Independencia are by far the nicest, more professional, and accomodating team of people i have dealt with] and see if I can negotiate a lower price or free upgrades. Most of the time I deal with one or two individuals who I have gotten to know personally on my trips to DR, and we also keep in touch via company email so that I can alert them of my trips. Everything is set up nicely and I have had no complaints. $377 is a good rate for 14 days, I hope you have a great trip and let us know how the rental experience went.
Safe travels! :cheeky::bunny:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
CC Hold

what is the hold on the credit card?

I have been able to negotiate the amount they hold on my CC but that is because I have gotten to know the customer service representatives and can usually get pre-authorization in writing which is then confirmed at the desk [at the airport]. I have had holds from as much as $1500USD [for a 21 day rental] to as little as $500USD [for a 5 day rental]. I think it varies on a few things: length/duration of the rental, and whether or not you take insurance/liability on the cars. I never get additional insurance but have been told if I accept it the amount of the hold placed on the card can be lowered even further, but that I wouldnt know since I have never done it.... :paranoid: