Tourists in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I didn't want to hijack a different thread but I read that there is a lack of tourists in Sosua? Is this year worse than other years previous?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I didn't want to hijack a different thread but I read that there is a lack of tourists in Sosua? Is this year worse than other years previous?

No, It's t same every year. We are at the bottom of the curve. It should pick up in a month or so,

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually by our account on number of clients and some friends who own restaurants, bars, beach shacks this year was slightlly better then last season. Now it is dead time but that is always the case at this time of year.

BObK

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Looking at the POP airport arrival numbers, tourist arrivals are down 20% compared to last year. Whether this translates into less tourists in Sosua, is debatable, as Playa Dorada has probably seen most of this decrease. But last year was already a bad year.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
hmm.. thanks guys! So really, it's only a couple months to a 'slow season'?
Do they have a 'hiring' season? In Canada the big one is usually right after summer. Everyone is looking for staff. I don't know if they have such a thing in DR but just another crazy question I had.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Looking at the POP airport arrival numbers, tourist arrivals are down 20% compared to last year. Whether this translates into less tourists in Sosua, is debatable, as Playa Dorada has probably seen most of this decrease. But last year was already a bad year.

I think the absence of tourists on the streets of Sosua is due to more than this being the low season.

Casa Marina seems to be doing well from what I have heard, but I don't think many other hotels can say the same.

And as far as those who do come, why spend time in town? When my brothers and their families were here for 2 weeks, they spent no more than 2 hours in town. There was more for them to do at the hotel than in town, meals and drinks were included in the price of their room, and the resort had a big pool and nice beach.

Except for the guys who come here for the girls, Sosua doesn't have much to offer tourists.

Re Chelley's question about hiring season, I would not recommend coming here if you need a job.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Ken, I'm not specifically coming to Sosua to look for employment, however, it would be nice since I want to stay for a while. There's only so much I can save before I head down there lol ;)

It's a shame there is so much bad talk about Sosua. I know it's full of prostitutes and sankys, but for some reason, I love it there. Everyone I was in contact with when I was there was great. The beach is fun and there were a few good restaurants I liked to frequent.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
But you don't have to go for that or associate yourself with those kinds of people. I met lots of people who weren't into any of it.

There can be nasty people no matter what part of the world your in. I, myself, look for the good. And I found myself a little bit of good in Sosua :)

Reactions: woofsback

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
But you don't have to go for that or associate yourself with those kinds of people. I met lots of people who weren't into any of it.

There can be nasty people no matter what part of the world your in. I, myself, look for the good. And I found myself a little bit of good in Sosua :)

No, you don't have to go where the girls and sankys are; I don't. I have been living in Sosua for 10+ of the 25+ I have lived in the DR and have no plans to leave.

But the thread started with your question about lack of tourists in Sosua. The answer to that question is "yes". Why would tourists, other than those interested in night life and girls, or find an offer for an AI too good to refuse, want to come to Sosua as it is today?

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Why would tourists, other than those interested in night life and girls, or find an offer for an AI too good to refuse, want to come to Sosua as it is today?

Well, in my case, my trip started off because I had a great quote on a condo I could stay at for a few months. It turned into fun day trips to Puerto Plata and Cabarete, meeting great people and volunteering with a few different organizations/people. Sosua itself, I guess, isn't much, but for some reason I just loved it.

There is always something to see in Sosua.. some good, some also very bad. My family came to visit for a week (first time in Sosua) and they didnt like it much. So to each their own. My experience there was nothing but positive.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chelley, there is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself in Sosua. Many people do. However, you did not come as a typical tourist.

But you started this thread asking about tourists. The reaction of your family seems to support what I am saying: Sosua, as it is at present, is not a great tourist town.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Nothing else brought me there. I had travelled to Puerto Plata a few times at an AI and it just wasn't enough for me. I got a great deal and you're exactly right ... it was primarily a home base so I could explore

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought Sept./Oct. was the "bottom" of the tourist season...

Status
Not open for further replies.