Explanation please

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
yesterday morning when I was heading to drop the baby at the daycare I saw my next door contemplating a flat tired in his car I stop to see if he was in need of help and he said yes as he was in a hurry to the airport. I backup into my garage for a small air compressor.
I asked him to droop it in the garage and went to droop the baby, when I came back this is what found....
Aircompressor.jpg

A five dollar note posted in my air compressor, this have me confuse. What he is trying to say? maybe that he don't want my favor or is this the American way....
I don't know, maybe some of you guys have a good interpretation for this.

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear JJ: He just said "thank YOu" in a very American way--with money...

What you did was most kind and unusual, and he did not have time to write you a note, so he used Mr. Lincoln to say "THANKS, neighbor!"

By the way, you have a nice way of writing, and "droop" the baby, might become a new phrase.... (It should be "drop off" in this case)....

No matter, you did a very nice, neighborly thing, and you now have a new friend.
Maybe you can invite him for some beer or sancocho ...

HB

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
He paid you for using your compressor...

He's paying you for lending him your compressor. If you were there he would have given you the five dollars directly. Thank you= $$$

I have never experienced this or heard of this in my area but it does not surprise me because I know that some people charge others to give them a boost when their battery is dead. It's pathetic! I know the cost of a boost from a stranger ranges anywhere from $10.00 to $ 30.00. In my opinion, this is exploitation of a situation where somebody needs help desperately. Taxi drivers try to charge more if they can.

That's why I always have my own booster cables in my trunk and keep my car maintained (serviced regularly) although a battery can die at anytime but there are usually warning signs. As soon as I detect it, I get the battery changed or I change the battery after a few years. I have had few battery problems.

Is this (North) American? I can't say for sure but definitely some people are expecting compensation when they help people with a flat tire, or a battery boost and (some) people are even expecting to pay. My theory is I am not paying anyone. I will call for help if that's the case (and hopefully it is not in the middle of the night). I have helped others and was glad to do it. I got back in my car and drove off when all was resolved.

-MP.

JABULANI....

dilligafny

Jan 31, 2010
I would return the money..you never know when you might need a favor from him.and you acted in kindness,getting paid for it kind of takes that away,,dont you think?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'm with Dilligafny, return the money. I've never seen neighbors paying others neighbors just for a favor. If that is the case nobody would accept help from their neighbors when they are in need.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Definetly don't return the money. If he is from the US he is just saying thank you, it's the way we do it. He sincerely appreciated what you did for him now he wants to do something nice for you. Buy a little treat for you or you baby and maybe mention what you did with the money and say thanks back. It's a nice way to start a friendship with a neighbor. He will also remember your act of kindness and return the favor if he can.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Definetly don't return the money. If he is from the US he is just saying thank you, it's the way we do it. He sincerely appreciated what you did for him now he wants to do something nice for you. Buy a little treat for you or you baby and maybe mention what you did with the money and say thanks back. It's a nice way to start a friendship with a neighbor. He will also remember your act of kindness and return the favor if he can.
JJ this is good advice and unfortunately the way we do it in the states. When you get a chance maybe you could tell your neighbor how surprised you were and tell him how things are done in rep dom.

A few years ago I gave a jump start to an old beat up pickup truck. I was on one of the back dirt roads in Bonao. I stopped to help the guys get started. It took them 20 minutes or so to take the battery out of my rental, into their truck, and back into my rental.

They got the truck started, said many "gracias" and off they drove. The men were very thankful but they didn't offer me not one peso. There was a small colmado in a house less than 50 feet away and they didn't bother to buy me a soda. At first I thought "American" and was surprised they didn't offer to "pay" me. Once I realized that is not the Dominican way of doing things I was grateful just for their words of thanks as they were truly grateful and it showed in the smiles on their faces and the heart warming handshake. I learned another lesson in life that day........

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
It sounds like you and your neighbor don't know each other very well, which is maybe why he left the $$. Plus you saved his azz so he could get to the airport on time.

I agree with the others - buy a couple of Presidentes and go over and get to know your neighbor better. Neighbors in the US who know each other do favors back and forth all the time (without paying any $$).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dear JJ: He just said "thank YOu" in a very American way--with money...

What you did was most kind and unusual, and he did not have time to write you a note, so he used Mr. Lincoln to say "THANKS, neighbor!"

By the way, you have a nice way of writing, and "droop" the baby, might become a new phrase.... (It should be "drop off" in this case)....

No matter, you did a very nice, neighborly thing, and you now have a new friend.
Maybe you can invite him for some beer or sancocho ...

HB

Best shot so far. Agree with HB.

If you had been home when he finished, that would have been the time to explain that you were just happy to help, and no payment needed for neighborly help.
Now buy a couple of beers with the money and explain to him over the beers(that he bought) that you were glad to be able to help him. Am assuming that you have not had much interaction with him before.

Giving the money back at this point will be an insult.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
DONT return the money, buy a couple of presidente's and have a drink with your neighbor

Absolutely!

I was in a similar situation a year ago. Leaving the parking garage at El Nacional on Lincoln in SD, I was flagged down by a man and his family. They needed a jump and I happened to have cables, so I helped them out. You could tell they were a well-off family, as they were driving a BMW SUV.

They tried to give me RD$1000 but I refused, saying I would accept prayers and best wishes instead. They couldn't believe I wouldn't take the money. The abuelita with them said, "Hay damas de verdad todiavia!"

They started to drive off but then the wife got out and asked if I ever went to Acropolis. She then handed me a business card for the Swarvoski store and said, "You have a lifetime 40% discount at our store." I have zero use for that discount, but they wanted to give me something to show their appreciation, so I accepted.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
OK, thank you guys for the different point of views. in the beginning I was thinking to do as Ezequiel said (we have Dominican mentality) to turn the money back. Now after reading all theses post I have better idea..... Next time we bump in the back yard I'll invite him to cross the divisor line to come to my deck so that we can enjoy some Presidentes bien frias and a cook out.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Sancocho!! good idea and I can find everything I need to cook Dominican food at international food or at Supermercado Pueblo here in Raleigh, both of them are owned by Dominicans.

JJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its clear both of the men don't know each other. I wonder if the neighbor ( I assume a white guy) would have left the money if bachata was himself a white guy with a good job and driving a nice car. This gesture could also translate into something totally different as well. The american neighbor felt you would be more satisfied with a 5 dollar bill than a thank-you note. To me this would be an insult if I had seen the money on my compressor. This would mean that the neighbor doesn't really think very highly of me.
I am sure this is why bachata is a bit confused. He really didn't want or expect the money. Its a tough situation: if he accepts the money, he will feel cheap and if he return the money, the neighbor will be embarrassed. I am sure the neighbor didn't do it with bad intention in mind either, he just didn't know how to thank you in the situation where time was a factor.
So just invite him for a BBQ and get to know him better.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The $5 was not a thank you, solely. It was payment for the use of your equipment. YOu have an air compressor along with many other tools. Your neighbor paid you for that because he respects your time and desire to help. AND because in the future when he has a more compelling problem with that car he will ask for your input and consider you as an option to the guy/dealer/shop where he d normally bring the car. Thats why he gave you the money. If he didnt, then when he had a problem with the car and he d ask you, you may blow him off because he thinks you work for free.
And also, no, no sancocho. Not for new neighbors. And not if you dont live in New Orleans. Make him some rice y beans with maduros. Dont complicate it. You may like sancocho but I hate it. My nieces mothers side is Portuguese. And every time we do something with this girl they always bring the FAVA beans in garlic sauce. No one eats Fava beans in garlic sauce. So they have driven 200 miles with a platter of Fava beans in the back of the car, for no one to eat it. You dont want to hurt anyones feeling or culture, but I dont know anyone who eats Fava beans in Garlic sauce. So no...no sancocho, mangu, mofongo, mondongo, bacalao. Make chicken with rice, so he can ease himself into your cuisine

keep the money, it is an insult to return it. Buy the dude a beer if he drinks it, I dont so I d be more insulted by that than returning the money.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............keep the money, it is an insult to return it......
That is it......... when you see him just say thanks and there was not need for him to give you money. Explain how in the DR people just do things to help out a neighbor. If you got beer or soda in the house you can offer him one.

NO need for a BBQ just because the guy gave you 5 bucks for helping him out. Sancocho for someone you don't even know. All you know he could be a vegetarian.

JJ I am surprised at you, this is your neighbor and you haven't already invited him over just to talk a bit. Have you become Americanized that quick?