sosua - manatees spotted off the coast

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there have been reports that manatees have returned to the north coast in significant numbers and have recently been spotted by dive schools and fishermen just off the coast from sosua .
Has anyone encountered any of these beasts, I know there used to be some around the luperon area

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Manatee-swimmer-420x0.jpg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great news and a great Foto, too. J.R.
would be nice to get a population of them back on the Isle.
but careful with the Foto,
they are very handsome when raised and trained by humans/in captivity,
they are not always soft as a wild animal in it's family/group protecting their kids in the group, a human would be very unwelcome by then and should not underestimate the strength of such large animal.
while we have a good number of dolphins,
we observe very few large seaturtles here o the east the last years,
and i never found a Manati here.
would be great to spot a family of 'em one day.
Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wonderful news!

Live and learn, I didn't realize they had left. My sister-in-law's brother purchased a hotel + restaurant on the north coast, I'm thinking it is Estero Hondo?? not far from Punta Rusia? We spent a day with him there. His boat says Manatee Bay or something similar. I was under the impression the manatees were still there! He's going to be offering boat rides to a private island [when I read Lambada's book I wondered if it was the same place she mentions] where visitors can spend the day, eat and swim etc.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there are less than 200 manaties(sp?) in DR waters. Some 20-25% of them are located in the Manatee preserve on the east side of Punta Rucia.

A highly endangered species. Please leave them alone.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought none had been spotted in punta rucia for a long time - I didnt know there was a reserve there

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
there are less than 200 manaties(sp?) in DR waters. Some 20-25% of them are located in the Manatee preserve on the east side of Punta Rucia.

A highly endangered species. Please leave them alone.

HB

HB, is that in/near Estero Hondo? I've only been there once, lots of mangrove trees, a zillion little red crabs running around, deserted beach in front of Jose's place - and he told us at the end of the road was a preserve......??

Was a heavenly atmosphere, we were totally alone.....

AE

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wonderful news!

Live and learn, I didn't realize they had left. My sister-in-law's brother purchased a hotel + restaurant on the north coast, I'm thinking it is Estero Hondo?? not far from Punta Rusia? We spent a day with him there. His boat says Manatee Bay or something similar. I was under the impression the manatees were still there! He's going to be offering boat rides to a private island [when I read Lambada's book I wondered if it was the same place she mentions] where visitors can spend the day, eat and swim etc.

AE

When I worked as a tour guide for the ecological tour (about 17 years ago) it was indeed Estero Hondo where we would take the tourists. The owner of that tour had built an open air restaurant, had sun loungers etc. All of that got burned one night & the security guard shot at. I never inquired too closely at the time because it seemed to be linked to certain people wanting the tour owner off the island & we all wondered whether his presence was a hindrance to narco drop-off points for onward transhipment...

Our boatman was very good at not going too close to the manatee particularly when there was a calf frolicking around. The number of manatee, however, were dwindling, even back then and sightings became rarer. When I first started working for them, sightings were quite common.