'desirable area' in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
Is there an area or subdivision in Sosua where the more affluent locals and expats tend to live ( because of safety, security, little noise, amenities, nice choice of houses, etc.?)
If a person had $500,000+ to invest in property, what would be the 'desirable' locations?

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
My first choice would be Haciendas el Choco. You can purchase a lot of about 5000 sq mtrs for as little as US 100,000 and construct a house to the minimum size allowed by the community of 300 sq mtrs for around the $200,000 range. Of course if you want the finest quality materials budget 300,000 for the house. The community has its own home owners association and very reasonable fees considering the level of security and the high quality of the community. This is a very well run community with homes up to 3,000,000 dollars so you can imagine the residents demand the highest quality. You will also meet some of the nicest people on the north coast in this community, always willing to offer advice, with no hidden agendas. These comments are based from owning land in the community for the past 5 years and spending many weeks renting a house in the community.

Sea horse Ranch is another community to consider although you will probably be in the 700,000 range to live there.

Contact Michael or Sabine at Dominican Republic Real Estate | Villas, condos, lots and land for sale in Sosua/Cabarete | Caribbean real estate and property as they can give you excellent advice for both communities.

bebeto007

Mar 22, 2008
I would go either Ocean Village, Playa Laguna new development in between Playa Laguna 1 and 2 or Sea Horse Ranch if I would like to be close to the sea. Haciendas El Choco is great together with Panorama village and would be my choises if I want to see great views.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Camino Llibre

Directly across from the Texaco is Camino Llibre which goes up the hill above the town. Its aout a kilometer or so to the top. There is land and houses for sale. Its only a minute to town, and its safe. We get less bugs, fewer mosquitoes, wonderful breezes and when the heavy rains arrive it all goes down the hill. We have a guy who maintains the street every day and keeps it clean. Its one of the nicest areas in Sosua.

May 29, 2006
Directly across from the Texaco is Camino Llibre which goes up the hill above the town. Its aout a kilometer or so to the top. There is land and houses for sale. Its only a minute to town, and its safe. We get less bugs, fewer mosquitoes, wonderful breezes and when the heavy rains arrive it all goes down the hill. We have a guy who maintains the street every day and keeps it clean. Its one of the nicest areas in Sosua.

It also has some of the best panoramic views of the coast in the area. I would think you could get something for less than $500,000 up that way. Nice that it's close to the Playero too.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
To the OP: A good advice.....

Come down here...rent for at least 3 months, look around, talk to local expats. This thread can turn into a "Please my area is very good" translated as "Please buy my house, because we have a lot of robberies and I am scared."

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
low lying land

Many of the upscale developments built close to the ocean are on a low lying coastal plain. Take a look a day or so after we have had some heavy rains. Lots of standing water, millions of mosquitoes (unless you are paying to have them sprayed like Sea Horse Ranch), Buffo toads, flies and roaches. Speaking only for myself the smart money in the DR lives up on the hill with a nice but distant view. Plus we are Tsunami safe on our little mountain.

Reactions: rio2003

wendymathews

Mar 27, 2007
Residential Hispaniola on Calle Libre is the best. Close to town and beach, quiet and safe. Nice homes, great people

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Up the hill of Camino Llibere is great, but not so much so Residential Hispaniola, they do a lot of rentals there to partying tourist people that can be uncomfortable to be around. Pay a few more bucks and have a lot more privacy further up the hill. You'll see what I mean if you look around and talk to the right folks. Do your due diligence.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
before you buy anything in a residential (compound with guards)

Look closely at the maintenance agreement. The builders have caught on to the money gravy train that can be had for maintenance. And it goes on and on for years with no limits as to how much money they make from you. Personally I did not move to the DR to live in a compound with Canadians, Germans and Russians for neighbors and a mix of Dominicans and Haitians walking around with shotguns.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Many of the upscale developments built close to the ocean are on a low lying coastal plain. Take a look a day or so after we have had some heavy rains. Lots of standing water, millions of mosquitoes (unless you are paying to have them sprayed like Sea Horse Ranch), Buffo toads, flies and roaches. Speaking only for myself the smart money in the DR lives up on the hill with a nice but distant view. Plus we are Tsunami safe on our little mountain.

Excellent advice - beware of flooded sites after heavy rain - I can think of a few developments where this has turned into a major headache for unsuspecting buyers.... :ermm:

Rio

Reactions: Tamborista
Status
Not open for further replies.