Thinking of doing business and possibly moving to DR

Eurogirl

Jun 20, 2010
Hello Everyone,
I?m new to the forum and find your thread and tips especially interesting.
I?m an Eastern European woman living in New York for 15 years. I recently visited DR and fell in love with the people and the country.
I came across this website and been reading posts since my return to the US. I clearly see that as a woman I?m facing many challenges to return to DR either to do Business and work or for the purpose of learning the language and socializing.
I?m a fair skin, blue eyed European with dirty blond hair. I was raised in Europe so good manners, respect of other cultures, the elderly, knowing the etiquette comes natural to me. Immigrated to the US when I was 21yo, managed to make a comfortable life and build a business. Reading your comments gave me a pretty good picture of what to expect and how to handle situations as a foreigner, but my situation is a little different from many of you. I have only a handful of friends in the DR, no family, no Dominican husband. I have a few business ideas that I would like to pursue.
My question to you; Do I stand a chance? 
Thanks, and I Appreciate your opinions ?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, Eurogirl and thank you for your thoughtful first post. I moved it to a separate thread because the "Blending in" thread is for tips and observations rather than questions.

In reply, not all foreign women who moved here have done so as part of a couple or for a Dominican man. In other cases, some who did remained in the DR once the relationship ended and are living here as single women. Some of our forum members will no doubt have useful advice for you and experiences that they can share. Good luck!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hello Everyone,
I?m new to the forum and find your thread and tips especially interesting.
I?m an Eastern European woman living in New York for 15 years. I recently visited DR and fell in love with the people and the country.
I came across this website and been reading posts since my return to the US. I clearly see that as a woman I?m facing many challenges to return to DR either to do Business and work or for the purpose of learning the language and socializing.
I?m a fair skin, blue eyed European with dirty blond hair. I was raised in Europe so good manners, respect of other cultures, the elderly, knowing the etiquette comes natural to me. Immigrated to the US when I was 21yo, managed to make a comfortable life and build a business. Reading your comments gave me a pretty good picture of what to expect and how to handle situations as a foreigner, but my situation is a little different from many of you. I have only a handful of friends in the DR, no family, no Dominican husband. I have a few business ideas that I would like to pursue.
My question to you; Do I stand a chance? 
Thanks, and I Appreciate your opinions ?.

What's his name?

No seriously, you sound like you would be an asset in the DR.

Good luck and I say give it chance.

BTW, what kind of business ventures were you thinking about?

Eurogirl

Jun 20, 2010
Hi Bronxboy, The business profile I'm thinking about would involve LED lighting and solar technology. Came across and heard about the problem most have in DR the block outs and the high price of electricity. LED tech. lighting could mean great savings to both housholds and businesses.Thats one of the idea

ps: Don't understand... "What's his name?"

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

He was jokingly asking you if you had met a Dominican boyfriend. A lot of women move here for that reason - see Mars & Venus forum ;).

In answer to 'do you stand a chance' - it won't be easy but it's possible. Setting up a business is best left until you have worked out how things are done here, differently from both Europe & the US. And how!

But in your case, you give evidence of being a thoughful poster, you have already been an expat before and you have mastered English for your first transition. So I would say, so far, things are stacking up in your favour.

Welcome to DR1! :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi Bronxboy, The business profile I'm thinking about would involve LED lighting and solar technology. Came across and heard about the problem most have in DR the block outs and the high price of electricity. LED tech. lighting could mean great savings to both housholds and businesses.Thats one of the idea

Just messing with you. Some women anticipate moving to the DR because of a man they met but this is not your situation.

There are a few regular posters that can give you an insight on your business idea and if that idea has a chance to produce income.

Buena suerte!!!:cheeky:

Eurogirl

Jun 20, 2010
Thank you Lambada! As you said it won't be my first transition to adopt to a new country and it's language.What can I say, love challenges.
Didn't get the "joke " at fist sorry. No, No Dominican boyfriend in the picture ..LOL.
In regards to the business I will post in other threads maybe I get a few very valuable advise. Reading the posts, one thing I'm learning NETWORKING is most important.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
solar panels seem to be very expensive to import - maybe you can look at the manufacturing side - its seems a shame that we waste all this sunshine here because the systems are too expensive

Eurogirl

Jun 20, 2010
Manufacturing could be an option on the long run. Yes, solar is expensive, thats why I think it would work hand in hand with LED at the beginning. Significant savings for even the smalest household. Also there could be a non profit possibility installing solar for schools, churches, hospitals.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What can I say, love challenges.

Could be the perfect fit then :). I'm serious actually; I firmly believe there is a personality type which doesn't interpret these things as 'problems' as much as 'opportunities to get better at overcoming issues'.

We've been here nearly 18 years; of course the challenges decrease with familiarity but Dominicans are highly inventive :cheeky: so there's always a new twist on a familiar scenario.

There was an expat here who imported a whole lot of LED lights, the sort you attach to illuminate garden sheds in other countries. They sold like hotcakes among the expat community in Costambar - I don't know the expat but I bought a couple from someone who had bought 10. And when later I asked my contact if he had any more, the expat in question had apparently sold out.

You might want to google search for manufacturers/distributors here in DR as a starting point, if there are any.

And not about the DR but your non-profit idea has been followed in other places:
'Light Up The World' Taps LEDs for Villages 'Off-Grid'

Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
solar energy is becoming quite popular amongst the rich folks here around Jarabacoa....

having said this... I, as a businessman from Europe, was staggered about the low profit margins here... 10% seems quite acceptable here....

anyways... have some great ideas about windmills, and have great contacts... so maybe...

and of course welcome....

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Tourism, this is the growing industry in DR you can find a good job in this area. Learn the language the customs and the way people think and then you will be ready for your new challenges in business.

JJ

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
Instead of solar power, which is quite expensive, you could try to hook up with Humdinger Wind Energy. Their product used to be in the common domain, but they have patented it now.
They actually started off in Haiti with their experiment. At the moment it would be ideal for outside lighting. But I would love to have a full array of them!
It could be made yourself, they sell kits for schools and research.

Most, if not all, equipment and accessories related to alternative energy do not pay duties coming in to the country. You would need to get your logistics in place before importing any equipment. As other posters mention, solar technology is catching up and many people are thinking about it, having the resources and the money to pay for it is another thing, but everyone is looking to get into the solar energy. If you can adjust to the small market and compete with what's already here, the you would do great.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think the solar panel idea would be more profitable and desirable to those who own multi-occupied residential buildings or office towers as it allows the owner to spread the costs out over his tenants. And all you would really need is:1. to have your system as cost effective as a generator, with respect to installation, maintenance and operation AND a way to reserve the power during incliment weather or darkness where sunlight is not readily available.