It's not a dog

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This afternoon I went to walk around my neighborhood with my wife and my four years old baby girl, there is a pretty and green loan where kids goes to play football and baseball some time, we were walking by the sidewalk when I saw a animal walking in the same direction as we was I didn't pay attention as I though it was a dog then I pointed the animal and said to the baby, look at the doggy!!! my wife who was raised in N. Jersey immediately recognized the animal and said backup it is a wolf...
By the time we were 20 meters way from him but he was not paying attention to us I could see when he started hunting a small animal that I presume it was a small rabbit what he grabbed in his mouth then ran into the woods.
I have heard many stories about wolfs but I don't now what to do if I'm attacked by this animal.

JJ

Reactions: Tamborista

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Are you sure it wasn't a coyote instead of a wolf? Wolf sightings in the city would make the 6 o'clock news. If you were unfortunate enough to be attacked by a wolf...you wouldn't have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike l

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
like I said I never seen a wolf before this animal looks like a dog but with thinner mouth.
I have heard many stories about people seen wolfs here in Raleigh.

JJ

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
redwolf1.jpg
JJ, this is the Red wolf that can be found in your area. Maybe it wasn't a coyote!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes that is the same animal I saw today. as I'm used to see dogs hanging out everywhere in DR I didn't take a picture of him with my cellphone. Damn I lost this chance.
Regarding to the city area where I live it will be easy for any wild animal live here because of the thickness of the forest.

JJ

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes that is the same animal I saw today. as I'm used to see dogs hanging out everywhere in DR I didn't take a picture of him with my cellphone. Damn I lost this chance.
Regarding to the city area where I live it will be easy for any wild animal live here because of the thickness of the forest.

JJ

unless its sick will be more afraid of you than you of it. small game is its thing. just don't have your itty bity dog with you

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Coyotes and wolves are often confused for each other because the only real difference to anyone not an expert is size. Probabley it was a coyote as wolves avoid people and coyotes don't care. Coyote are a huge problem in Canada stealing people cats and small dogs. Coyotes can be very dangerous for people also.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I Just talked to my friend Rick who is a North Carolinian about this and he say that probably what I saw is a fox as they are everywhere here in Raleigh.
Is the fox and the coyote the same animal??

JJ

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
The fox and coyotes are 2 different animals. Where I live in Canada we get coyotes in our neighborhood all the time and hear them yipping all night long (this is in a city). From the picture I would guess it to be a coyote. They can be dangerous (one attacked a small child on a park slide here last year).