Disturbing oil/gas exploration

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Having just read a news article that states a British company is going to be conducting a survey for gas and oil off the shores of the Dominican Republic, I have to ask the question, does anyone not know what is happening in the Gulf?
This is one of the largest disasters ever, and who knows when it will end?
The effects on not only the employment but the continues effects on the ocean and bird population is catastrophic!!
We have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and with sightings of manatees and more turtles are we now going to put all of this at risk?
It continues to amaze me what governments will willingly risk for greed!!
Of course this is only MHO!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you would be amazed to see what they are really willing to risk/do,
day by day and all around the globe.

i just hope the Brits will not mess with the Island here and the Amis stay in their ""own"" Gulf of "Mexico",

but i doubt.

Mike

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
If they do find oil...will the government tax its worth like they should or will they let it slide for a one time annual fee paid by the oil company?
This government could use that money for some serious gain...if some/many dont steal it.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Spicedwine, could you post the link to the article please? Many thanks.

good question.
the subject is on the table so we wanna read some facts.

to the prior poster bringing in Tax incomes for a gubmint compared to the damages on the long term done to mother nature AND the Humans in such area:
ask Obama and the former seat holders if the Tax money and Oil and Gas from the Gulf been enough to recompense now the People of the Gulf Coast and bring mother nature back to live.
I doubt they will do any of both,
the ladder would be anyways impossible to do.
Mike

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
This is the article I read

The following is the article I read. It was posted on another site, and I am totally useless in doing the link thing! Sorry. If you want to know the site PM me and I will gladly respond.

"British oil exploration off Dominican coast"
posted on: Jun 21 2010 10:4 by Royston

The Director General of Mining has announced the start of exploration for oil reserves off the Dominican coast. Octavio Lopez said that some surveys have demonstrated that there is natural gas in areas under the ocean and this means there is a possibility of oil being there too.
He explained that in the vicinity of the Banco de la Plata and other coastal areas, there is already data available which could suggest the presence of oil.
Lopez said that a British company is starting a survey and it will be the most extensive ever conducted in Dominican waters. The survey is not costing the Dominican Government anything and if the results are positive, bids will be invited from international companies interested in exploratory drilling. This initial British survey is due to be completed in 30 days.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
history shows the outcome of Oil Deals between the 1st world with the money and the 3rd world with the Oil they desperately wanna get, the same way like today's Drugtrafficking of the sweeties for the 1st world with the bucks and the 3rd worlds who have what the big shots desperately need and are willing to take any risk for.
Jos? L?pez Portillo — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I found it, Ginnie,
it is on Dominican Central,
british oil exploration off dominican coast
Mike

Thanks Mike. Dominican Central, another site which translates news without putting the source article.....grrrr! However, I found where they got it from:
Director de Miner?a asegura hay amplias posibilidades de existencia petr?leo en zonas costeras

I wanted to check that reference to Banco de la Plata. And yes it does appear to mean Silver Bank. Think whales...........:ermm: I hope this British company whoever they are (not specified in either article) are NOT going to disturb whale calfing locations.

Mind you the info in both is questionnable (look further down where they refer to Barry Gold........meaning Barrick Gold. Thought they meant Barry Goldwater for a moment, except he's dead). Can't believe there's a DR journalist who hasn't heard of Barrick Gold. I think I'll reserve judgement until I see an announcement in UK press about which British company this is. The Director of Mining Octavio Lopez, is this Octavio Lopez, btw
Dominican Mining chief upbeat on Barrick Gold, Falconbridge operations

That 1981 article was illuminating, Mike.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I sincerly hope they take into consideration that this is only one of 2 excisting calving places of whales... which is of vital importance of survival of this breed... most importantly...

and secondly that this is also something which brings a lot of tourists down, and provides income for a lot of the locals...

then again.... what is the income of some locals, and the survival of a breed,compared to oil dollars...

let's hope the company in question is BP... they have no money to spare now anyways...

Reactions: Tamborista

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I sincerly hope they take into consideration that this is only one of 2 excisting calving places of whales... which is of vital importance of survival of this breed... most importantly...

and secondly that this is also something which brings a lot of tourists down, and provides income for a lot of the locals...

then again.... what is the income of some locals, and the survival of a breed,compared to oil dollars...

let's hope the company in question is BP... they have no money to spare now anyways...

woohahahaha
sooo true.
but sadly i would say it doesn't matter if the hammer running into the ground is sponsored by BP or Shell or who ever..,
it would hit the mother earth and it ''would'' hit hard.
i just really hope that they will never start such,
under the present situation of this Gubmint oil and gas concessions would simply mean that the corrupts allow the companies to just do what ever they want to.
look on the gulf to see the outcome of concessions given by the smart first world, sow what security can we expect from concessions given by a money seeking corrupt Island Gubmint??

Ginnie,
sorrily YES,
they mean the Silverbanks,
it is a protected area for mother nature,
and they will face a armed revolution at the moment they wanna invade such grounds, it will never happen, for no money of the globe.

an incident there of just 10% of the american Gulf Mess would kill north and east coast of this Isle within a few months, including our Island's vital water reservoir Los Haitises in Samana Bay, Birds Key, the Beaches of Punta Cana, it would bring unemployment to half of the poplulation of this country in a fraction of a second.
i really hope for international powers to step in for the Silverbanks and anything else in vicinity of our shoreline, a project there would be a non-reversible mess, again.

the northeast, east and southeast of the Isle is a vital point on the migrating route of a significant high percentage of the mayor spezies in the atlantic Ocean, northern and southern hemisphere alike, bothering that would not be something humans would be able to control.
the fishermen in the southern US/Gulf Coast will not produce anything worth the efford for a generation or two. and there been quiet a large number of people employed in that industry.

heck,
they think with a 20 billions $$$ settlement a lil incident in the Gulf can be ""repaired"". you can punish BP to dead/bancruptcy, but you can't repair with it, and that been well known from the beginning.
what i anyways wonder about is the fact that the rest of the numerous spots still goes on to produce under similar conditions, like Deepwater Horizon would have been something unique/special/out of the ordinary.
it isnt, it it just one of many, and all contain the same bombs hidden in 'em 24/7/365.

verys sad,
and I have no solution to add, neither.
Mike

Last edited:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Mike. You sound a bit dramatic, but I understand your concern. I also understand that given the current crisis in the Gulf of Mexico this is a sensitive topic.

Oil/ gas exploration and production doesn?t necessarily doom DR to ecological obliteration & destruction?. Just think of pristine Norway, a major oil producer. Another good example is Qatar. These countries have done well in managing the potential ill effects of oil/ gas production on their environments.

Looking at this from a different angle, one may think that the exploitation of oil/ gas in the DR may have a positive effect on its people and economy. The DR?s Agriculture, Tourism & Services Economy stands to be transformed to an Industrial Economy to service the oil/gas industry. An Industrial Economy & Industrialized Nation rather than the status quo ?. That doesn?t seem like a bad thing to me. It sounds like progress. This is the route Trinidad & Tobago followed, and based on the last statistic I heard, they are the strongest economy in the Caribbean (this may have since changed).

I know that my opinion is an unpopular one and I admit that I am somewhat biased when it comes to this topic.

Toober_SDQ
Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineer

It would be nice to work and live in the same country someday.:ermm:

Reactions: ExtremeR

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
petroazua.gif

06/06/2007
Eng. Melaneo Aquino. Conducts a measuring of gushing oil from well that hits 12 gal/min. at Azua. The quantity and quality of the oil found there, is of no commercial interest.

The question is not "IF" there's Oil or Natural Gas in the DR's territory/waters, but how much of it and to what extend commercially exploitable.

The Oil found in Azua and the Enriquillo extensions is too crude/raw and too small to invest into a large scale project of exploitation. Even the Venezuela rawest Oil (which can only be refined in the US) is like premium compared to the finds in the DR.

The problem with the Natural Gas deposits found so far is that the deep of the ocean floor makes it a very expensive deal to exploit commercially. Just drilling and securing the well would be very expensive, with not enough supply to warrant the investment long term.

There's sufficient Oil and Gas to supply a good chunk of what we consume in the DR, but not enough to have investors foot the bill so they could just sell it back to us at discounted rates. The DR has been preparing a group of engineers overseas to obtain the know-how and experience needed, in order to carry out in-land drilling/exploitation projects. There's a new contract to that with the Venezuelan owned/state run Oil and gas company.

The new exploration to be carried out in territorial waters is to be done under international interests, in order to provide a commercial guaranteed to those sectors by finding a big enough deposit. Once the large deposit is found, the DR will carry out tenders to big companies to exploit them.

So far the focus is more on Natural Gas than Oil, which is what the majority of exploration studies have found for our waters. So rest easy that no future major Oil spill will wreck havoc in our coasts and marine life visiting.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
There's no real alternative to oil. Very specific reasons behind the accident in the GOM. The industry will no longer be able to regulate itself.

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
Mike. You sound a bit dramatic, but I understand your concern. I also understand that given the current crisis in the Gulf of Mexico this is a sensitive topic.

Oil/ gas exploration and production doesn?t necessarily doom DR to ecological obliteration & destruction?. Just think of pristine Norway, a major oil producer. Another good example is Qatar. These countries have done well in managing the potential ill effects of oil/ gas production on their environments.

Looking at this from a different angle, one may think that the exploitation of oil/ gas in the DR may have a positive effect on its people and economy. The DR?s Agriculture, Tourism & Services Economy stands to be transformed to an Industrial Economy to service the oil/gas industry. An Industrial Economy & Industrialized Nation rather than the status quo ?. That doesn?t seem like a bad thing to me. It sounds like progress. This is the route Trinidad & Tobago followed, and based on the last statistic I heard, they are the strongest economy in the Caribbean (this may have since changed).

I know that my opinion is an unpopular one and I admit that I am somewhat biased when it comes to this topic.

Toober_SDQ
Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineer

It would be nice to work and live in the same country someday.:ermm:

I tend to agree with Toober. Another example of offshore oil/gas development is Newfoundland, once the poorest province in Canada. It now has a vibrant economy due to tax dollars from three producing offshote oil fields. The industry is strictly regulated, and works in cooperation with the fishing industry on the Grand Banks, also this area has numerous whales and pristine icebergs, which contribute to a growing tourist industry.
I am a marine consultant in the offshore oil/gas industry, I would love to see a service base set up in Puerto Plata harbour, creating employment, infrastructure, technology and dollars to the local economy, IF deposits were discovered in commercial quantities off the North coast. Cuba, Bahamas and Jamaica have all issued offshore exploration licences, the necessary geology seems to be in the area for extensive deposits of hydrocarbons.