Ominous sounds from our yard...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
since I renewed my lease for the house, I have been hearing very strange sounds from the backyard...

It is an animal, just to be ahead of all the wise-cracks...

I can only describe the sound like the very rapid roffling of an African drum... quite deep in sound, and lasting for up to a minute at a time...

It starts around dusk, and lasts throughout the nite...

I first suspected my landlord not happy with the deal he agreed to, but honestly cannot imagine the poor bloke sitting in my backyard making those sounds... lol

anybody any idea what it could be with the vague description I was able to provide??? (I'm thinking toad???...)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm afraid it is bad news... the bugger we hear at night is not JR crawling home from a bar, trying to forget the purchase of his flat net... but is a cane toad...

DECC | Help stop the spread of cane toads

they are apparently huge, and poisonous... on this website there is some article about a supertrap for cane toads.. but am unable to open this pdf for one reason or another..

does anybody know how to trap those guys... (they can kill dogs!!!)

Thanks for all the help...

Peter

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks Lambada...

for one reason or another my comp does not want to open the super trap... could you maybe copy it and post it???

the other trap sounds marvelous, but I think I would have to import it from Australia which is not really an option...

but thanks anyway

Peter

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks Lambada...

for one reason or another my comp does not want to open the super trap... could you maybe copy it and post it???

It's 2 pages with pics so not sure how a copy/paste will work. But, here goes:

Cane Toad control
Using the Super Trap
The Super Trap is a self sufficient Cane Toad catching unit that can be used along with other methods to control the spread of Cane Toads. The super trap can be used in a semi permanent situation and requires only a minimal amount of monitoring.
The Super Trap
When set up with adequate water and all parts functioning correctly, the Super Trap can house captured toads humanely for an extended period of time.
Components
25 gauge x 25mm x 25mm holes galvanised wire mesh.
20watt solar panel*
12volt battery
Black UV lights
Solar panel charge controller MP3128*
Trough with float valve
Drum for water
One way perspex finger gates**
* available from Jaycar Electronics
* *available from Frogwatch - Frogs, Toadlets, Tadpoles, and Toads
?
???????
Construction
Make a wire cage 1200mm x 1000mm x 500mm.
Measure the trap in half.
Cut holes in proposed section, large enough to be able to remove toads.
Cut an access hole in the proposed rear section, large enough to be able to remove toads.
Make a divider and fix it to the roof of the trap ensuring it sits 50-100mm from the trap floor.
Attach a light to this divider.
Place a water trough and drum in the rear of the cage.
Secure solar panel.
Insulate rear enclosed section with insulation.
Cover top of trap.
Super trap is now ready for use.
UV black lights available from electronics outlets
How does the trap work?
During the day the lights are off, at nightfall the solar panel controller turns the lights on. These will remain on until the solar panel detects light, the lights are then switched off, and the charging of the battery is continued.
When the lights are on they attract insects, the insects in turn attract the toads. The toads push on the one way finger gates to enter the trap to feed on the insects and become captured. During their stay in the trap they feed at their own will at night and seek shelter and water from the trough during the day.
Door showing finger gates manufactured by Frogwatch, Northern Territory
An example of a Super trap
Published by: Department of Environment and Climate Change NSW
59 - 61 Goulburn Street, Sydney. Phone: 1300 361 967
web: Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water NSW
? Department of Environment and Climate Change NSW.
? Photographs Adam

Reactions: Bronxboy

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Here is the preferred, non-toxic method used in Australia to kill cane toads:

There are lots of ways to kill cane toads, and some are really brutal.

To kill a cane toad humanely, the easiest approach is to pick the animal up (gloves are a good idea, to ensure you don’t get exposed to the toad’s poison!) and put it in a plastic bag, then pop the bag into the fridge. After a few hours the toad will be pretty much asleep (although still very much alive) and you can pop the bag into the freezer. (some of the sources say that after the frig and before the freezer, you should whack it on the head and crush its skull to ensure that it is dead, but that might be messy in your freezer).

Leave it there in the freezer for a long time – preferably a few days – because there are lots of stories about apparently-frozen toads coming back to life if they haven’t spent long enough in the freezer!

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
thanks for the posting.... but seems like a lot of work and investment.... will a good hit with a shovel do???

I am an animal lover, but these creatures are not even supposed to be here, and they threathen my kennel...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Leave no stone unturned....

Literally, if you are searching for the toad in daylight, you will need to lift every large leaf and turn every stone in an attempt to find its hideout - if found, they are not difficult to capture and catch as they are not swift movers. Rather than the shovel plan, we would opt for a swift demise using a sharp, pointed instrument into its brain.

We know of at least 2 dogs who have died as the result of cane toad poisoning in just the past few weeks....

In the meantime, please do keep a 'poison kit' from the vet handy - just in case!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Poison Kit

Definitely should get the poison kit...... Dr Bob in Sosua (not to be confused with DR1 Bob)

Problem is you must use it quickly.... the dog dies in about 20-30 minutes, if I recall correctly.
Lies down and curls up

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Definitely should get the poison kit...... Dr Bob in Sosua (not to be confused with DR1 Bob)

Problem is you must use it quickly.... the dog dies in about 20-30 minutes, if I recall correctly.
Lies down and curls up

WW

I forgot to say..... death can come with minimal contact... just a nose sniff.

They were brought in to clear the sugar cane fields of vermin.... thats the history I heard.
These are very dangerous little rascals

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Well...the jacuzzi is drained on advice of a professional, new filter sand is delivered and tomorrow he will clean the filters, the jacuzzi and set up for a fresh clean, frogfree jacuzzi...finally

And Belgiank is laying in hiding with his machete this evening to get that "little" bastard of a cane toad...

I wish him all the luck, dogs are all inside safely with me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sure these are the famous "Sapos Bogaert" that were brought in during the early part of the 20th century to eat mosquito larvae and mosquitos. Like the "Hur?n" or Mongoose these were thought to be biological cures for some local pests, but became pests themselves.

HB

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am indeed waiting for him, but I think the coward is hopping down the mountain towards La Vega, when he saw the determined look on my face...:bunny::bunny:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well...the jacuzzi is drained on advice of a professional, new filter sand is delivered and tomorrow he will clean the filters, the jacuzzi and set up for a fresh clean, frogfree jacuzzi...finally

And Belgiank is laying in hiding with his machete this evening to get that "little" bastard of a cane toad...

I wish him all the luck, dogs are all inside safely with me.

The toad will not attack.... the dogs will be curious about it.... anything close is bad

Good luck

WW