Oldtimer ban

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
From the newsroom today:
Ship those cars back

The Customs Department is ordering individuals and companies that imported vehicles older than five years to ship them out. The DGA says if they are not shipped within 20 days of arrival, the vehicles will be confiscated. Art. 2 of Customs Law 04-07 bans the import of vehicles that are older than five years. Wrecks have also been banned since 2002.Used electronic equipment are subject to a similar ban.

I've just sold my 38 year old car, but would love to obtain another classic in the future. Is it simply impossible to import any car older than five years? What if somebody wants to bring a pristine 1965 Mustang, for example?

I've seen some old Toyota BJ-40's around. They where produced until 1982. So some classics still drive around. Are there more classics like that driving around in DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
From the newsroom today:
Ship those cars back

The Customs Department is ordering individuals and companies that imported vehicles older than five years to ship them out. The DGA says if they are not shipped within 20 days of arrival, the vehicles will be confiscated. Art. 2 of Customs Law 04-07 bans the import of vehicles that are older than five years. Wrecks have also been banned since 2002.Used electronic equipment are subject to a similar ban.

I've just sold my 38 year old car, but would love to obtain another classic in the future. Is it simply impossible to import any car older than five years? What if somebody wants to bring a pristine 1965 Mustang, for example?

I've seen some old Toyota BJ-40's around. They where produced until 1982. So some classics still drive around. Are there more classics like that driving around in DR?
There is an organization that will permit the importation of what they consider a "classic" vehicle. You need their pre-approval. I got it to import my old TR6 but never pulled the trigger.

I lost who to contact. Perhaps Hillbilly knows.

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
Deja vu.... again...... We keep going over this.

Sorry... ;)

Once a vehicle is over 30 yrs. old, it pays a flat $3500 tax rate. The main requirement is a letter from the president of the Santo Domingo Classic Car Club, confirming your vehicle is indeed a classic. Not to hard to get.

Ai, $3500... that would be the value of a nice Citroen 2cv... There goes a dream of driving a 2cv again, for a while....
Thanks for the reply!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I saw a fellow bring in a Hummer last year.

$65,000 at the dock in duties and tax.... so I'm told

Absolument fou !

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Deja vu.... again...... We keep going over this.

I'm surmising the vehicles that are being ordered to be sent back, are vehicles that the owner/importer did not want to pay the taxes because they were so high.

If you bring in a vehicle older than 5 yrs, the taxes applied will be the same amount as a 5 yr old vehicle.

So, if you bring in a 15 year old Nissan Sentra, you'll pay taxes on a 2005 Nissan Sentra.

A friend of mine just brought in a 2001 Pontiac Minivan that is as good as new, and paid 2005 level taxes.

Once a vehicle is over 30 yrs. old, it pays a flat $3500 tax rate. The main requirement is a letter from the president of the Santo Domingo Classic Car Club, confirming your vehicle is indeed a classic.
Not to hard to get.

The Santo Domingo CC usually gets together every Saturday afternoon at the Pola Supermarket on Lincoln.

How would that dude know what a classic is? Its all open to interpretation. The dude who mentioned the Citroen 2CV is lost on me, I wouldnt consider it a classic. But then again he may not think a '75 Chrysler Cordoba 400HP is a classic also.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How would that dude know what a classic is? Its all open to interpretation. The dude who mentioned the Citroen 2CV is lost on me, I wouldnt consider it a classic. But then again he may not think a '75 Chrysler Cordoba 400HP is a classic also.

Inspector Clouseau had one.... called a deux chevaux... 2 horses.

A sardine can with a sewing machine engine and life savers for wheels.... tres chic... in some circles .
Small canvas top is an option.. rolls back a la sardine can

I would be curious to see the designated import value on this piece of tin.

Classic ?? Let the club decide

Racer Man--- how do they run those Maseratis, etc here on that gasoline ??

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
btw, I misstated that. Its a Cordoba Hi-Performance 400ci V8(6.6L) not 400 horsepower.

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com

You might call it a lemon, I call it a Citroen :cheeky:

Citroen 2cv produced from 1948 - 1990...
Mine was from 1972. So yeah, tin snail but still a classic. And roof down, engine purring, slow speed, dangerous in accidents, although they usually just gets pushed away instead of acting like a brick when being hit.
Besides, people always notice you when driving. So usually they are able to avoid you.

The suspension is very soft, it's easy to repair, there's not much that can go wrong, as it doesn't have any luxuries. It can go through rough terrain like a 4x4, people take it up to the North Cape, Africa's dunes and so on.

as they say: "It's not just a car, it's a way of life!" :bunny:
YouTube - 2cv completes a HUGE jump on sand dune
Chassis was bend, suspension broken, gastank shot; next day the car was driving again. After a hard nights work.

I thought it would be the perfect car for DR, bad roads, muddy roads, etc. Wouldn't try that too much with a heavy US car. Besides, nobody envy's you so it won't get stolen. But somehow people do like to vandalise it...
And last but not least: it's a babe-magnet! without having to dress up like a pimp ;)