gifts to bring for locals ????

vacation_junkie

Jun 22, 2010
when we travel I like to pack an extra bag of stuff to bring for locals, resort staff...etc.
I generally like to pack items that they can't really buy that will benefit them. I'm not prone to bringing candy or stuff like that!
I would love some suggestions!
Some has suggested hats!
What else?
what necessitates are hard to get there?
thanks for your help~

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
when we travel I like to pack an extra bag of stuff to bring for locals, resort staff...etc.
I generally like to pack items that they can't really buy that will benefit them. I'm not prone to bringing candy or stuff like that!
I would love some suggestions!
Some has suggested hats!
What else?
what necessitates are hard to get there?
thanks for your help~

Sun shades and manual appliances (can openers, church keys, etc.) and kids' stuff from the Dollar Store. Souveneir T-shirts, knockoff Yankee caps, Mets caps, Red Sox caps. Stuff off the clearance rack at Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx.

vacation_junkie

Jun 22, 2010
water. electricity.

lets be realistic now....:p
I am a heavy packer so theres no room for a generator or water tank!!! And there is no way i'm removing any shoes to spare some space! ☺

i'm thinking more on the lines of tooth paste, tooth brushes, nylons..etc...!
;)

vacation_junkie

Jun 22, 2010
Sun shades and manual appliances (can openers, church keys, etc.) and kids' stuff from the Dollar Store. Souveneir T-shirts, knockoff Yankee caps, Mets caps, Red Sox caps. Stuff off the clearance rack at Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx.

I'm Canadian...we are deprived of such great stores as Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx..Oh but that may give me an excuse to pop over the border to the US to visit those stores. ;)

What's a Church key?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
i'm thinking more on the lines of tooth paste, tooth brushes, nylons..etc...!
;)

Tooth brushes are probably cheaper there and toothpaste? Only from the $ store. I don't know about "nylons" but the humiditure is up around 103f so you probably won't see a lot of those being worn. I'd tend to stay away from "personal" or gender specific items except for the emplyees who may prove essential to the success of your trip. I have brought cologne and perfume for hotel desk, front office and management staff who have helped me out. But then I tend to stay in the same place alot and know many of them very well. It's amazing what a $45 bottle of designer cologne can mean to a recipient there.

I give corkscrew /church key sets to my favorite bartenders and it's pretty much $5 T-shirts and clearance sale sports gear for everyone else. I love a bargain and they love gifts. I usually plan on $1, $5 and $50 gifts. Every time I return I get the best room (the one where everything works), the deepest drinks and the hottest food. The bill is already printed out and waiting for me on my departure day and the minivan is waiting with the air blowing full blast on my trips to and from the airport.

All because I took the time and a little money to say "gracias".

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Technically a church key is a wine bottle opener a corkscrew. May be they need them I don't know the bottle opener is a good idea don't know if president
is a twist off or not I don't drink. I brought seed's ounce but it seamed that they were to lazy to put them in the ground and grow Basil, cilantro, mint ect so I did it my self they had no problem coming over and taking it when it was fully grown. Bring ball caps for kids and toothbrushes. But then they look at me like I am cheep. So f it here is some fried chicken and I call it a day.

vacation_junkie

Jun 22, 2010
Tooth brushes are probably cheaper there and toothpaste? Only from the $ store. I don't know about "nylons" but the humiditure is up around 103f so you probably won't see a lot of those being worn. I'd tend to stay away from "personal" or gender specific items except for the emplyees who may prove essential to the success of your trip. I have brought cologne and perfume for hotel desk, front office and management staff who have helped me out. But then I tend to stay in the same place alot and know many of them very well. It's amazing what a $45 bottle of designer cologne can mean to a recipient there.

I give corkscrew /church key sets to my favorite bartenders and it's pretty much $5 T-shirts and clearance sale sports gear for everyone else. I love a bargain and they love gifts. I usually plan on $1, $5 and $50 gifts. Every time I return I get the best room (the one where everything works), the deepest drinks and the hottest food. The bill is already printed out and waiting for me on my departure day and the minivan is waiting with the air blowing full blast on my trips to and from the airport.

All because I took the time and a little money to say "gracias".

Thanks! I know in Cuba they must wear nylons so we always bring 20-30 pairs. OH Bartender stuff.... I'm going to start little "gift boxes" in my spare room...It will pass the time quicker.

"Bartender box" ~church keys (My new word for the day)..cork Screws...and anything else that is brought to my attention.
"Front desk box" ~A bunch of useful office supplies"Room cleaner box " ~ hmmm still thinkin!
"Grounds people box" ~Hats , Mini flashlighs (Penlights) w/extra batteries

Appreciating all the help..keep them coming

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Childrens/Adult vitamins/Calcium/Iron tablets ( many anemic folk in DR ). Tylenol/Aleve/Motrin. Colgate toothpaste/toothbrushes. Small flashlights/some extra batteries. These are some of the expensive and more practical things.

But for the live for the day DR folk: Bailey's Irish Creme, old cell phones i collect from friends. The ever favorite giant Hersey chocolate bar. Baseballs. Cheap earrings, makeup kits, and nail polish.

Some might think this next item be forward but i usually buy large lots of condoms on ebay. I have an ex novia whose sister has HIV ( husband brought it home and died many years ago ) and make sure i get them to as many people that want them. And no, when a maid, waitress, campo chica or barrio women recieve them thay are still in the package. Thought i was going to set myself up on this one didn't you!!!!!!!!!

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Good gifts for the children are school supplies: pencils, colored pencils, paper, crayons, erasers. Also appreciated are toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, brushes, hair-ties, bar soap. These little guys have nothing :(