Ex-pats (3 or more years in the DR), any change of heart?

Jan 3, 2003
Due to the increasing crime rate in the DR and some of it being perpetrated on ex-pats with extremely violent consequences, I am curious as to the answers to the following question:

Expats that made the Dominican Republic their full time home 3 or more years ago.

Would you do it now?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sure, never had a problem here.

Great people, weather, laid back etc.

The major issue I have is with the traffic in Santo Domingo, that has gotten much worse.

Sure the electricity aggravates me and some other little things, but I would rather be here than in London :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
crime is increasing all over the world, so far ive managed to avoid most of it....Ive been robbed in Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Australia....but thats about it so far

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Fantastic place, still love it after 13 years ! Guess I'll stay there until my last day...

Reactions: Bronxboy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I love it here too. I am just glad to be able to travel to USA for shopping and to see my family but in the end, I am at home when the plane touches down in santiago airport.
AZB

Reactions: Bronxboy

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Would I move here now?
Without a doubt and I'd choose my residence with the same criteria as to what type neighborhoods are safe, well managed, and drama free. That's one of the most difficult things for a newcomer to evaluate.

And I second what AZB says, I've arrived home when the plane lands here.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
I love it here and do not plan ever moving, there is a difference of culture but I like the culture here. I never plan on moving to the USA.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Still love it here....Only wish Home Depot would open a store here in Santiago, and a
Red Lobster would be nice.

OHHH, I am a huge fan of home depot. I can spend hours inside looking at stuff. Hehehehe
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont got 3 years but I agree with waytogo. I love to get a real fat JUICy piece of meat not overcooked or as hard as a plank of wood.
Guilden's spicy mustard,
Creamy peanut butter, and
Grace Jamaican hot sauce

Jan 3, 2003
Sure, never had a problem here.

Great people, weather, laid back etc.

The major issue I have is with the traffic in Santo Domingo, that has gotten much worse.

Sure the electricity aggravates me and some other little things, but I would rather be here than in London :)

Do you have another similar country to compare it too? I continue, ever since I put that thread up-DR versus CR (Costa Rica) to hear wonders of the latter.

What's so horrible about London anyway?

I love it here too. I am just glad to be able to travel to USA for shopping and to see my family but in the end, I am at home when the plane touches down in santiago airport.
AZB

Well AZB, you have spoken atrocities of the capital, Santo Domingo, so it's safe to say that if the entire country were like the capital you'd abandoned ship years ago.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Due to the increasing crime rate in the DR and some of it being perpetrated on ex-pats with extremely violent consequences, I am curious as to the answers to the following question:

Expats that made the Dominican Republic their full time home 3 or more years ago.

Would you do it now?

Dear boy, of course :cheeky:.

This has been home for nearly 18 years now and it has truly felt like home for only slightly less. When I leave the DR permanently it'll be in a box. Well it won't be of course, I'll be buried or cremated here. The only proviso is if I get really successful at facilitating the revolution............:)

Seriously though, my handbag got snatched back in 2004. That was in Tesco's, High Wycombe in the country I used to call home, when I went on a visit. Ain't never happened here. But then, I was a stranger in High Wycombe and I'm not here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What's so horrible about London anyway?

I never said London was horrible, just prefer Santo Domingo.

I have lived and worked in London, Sydney, Tokyo, Rio, New York, Miami and a short period in Amsterdam. They all have their good and bad points, none of them horrible, I just prefer Santo Domingo out of that list.

That could change in the future, especially with more exploration of Colombia.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Still love it here....Only wish Home Depot would open a store here in Santiago, and a
Red Lobster would be nice.
I have a Home depot and a Red lobster two miles away from my house here in US and miss Ferreteria Ochoa and Comedor el Sazon in Santiago.

Who understand people?? when you are there miss to be here and vise versa....

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i still would move here for miesposo. or to timbuktu, wherever.
but gosh, should he ever say "let's move to europe" i'd be ready within seconds, just let me fetch my passport and i am ready to go! i thought europe was 1000 times better when i moved here four years ago and now i know i was right...

Reactions: rio2003

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No change of heart. We did get fed up with life in the capital - traffic, stress and increased insecurity - but our solution was to move to Punta Cana, not to leave the country. Haven't regretted it for one moment.

Aug 21, 2007
Love it here. Won't say that some day I will not want new horizons, new countries and cultures to learn, fresh challenges of adaptation. If I were to leave, I certainly would miss my neighbors whose home countries span the globe. Where else would we get such rich diversity? May be somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

So overall, not a single complaint. Does that mean I am here for the duration? Maybe not. But for now....which is all we really have, isn't it, "it" doesn't get any better.

Lindsey

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
No change of heart or mind after 10 years here. I have absolutely no regrets. I would certainly do it again in a heartbeat (move to Santo Domingo, DR). I think that goes twice for my wife and kids. I agree with Lambada that the only way I'll be leaving DR is in a box to the afterlife :) I'll be here in DR until my good friends time & age allow me to stay.

NotLurking

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dear boy, of course :cheeky:.

This has been home for nearly 18 years now and it has truly felt like home for only slightly less. When I leave the DR permanently it'll be in a box. Well it won't be of course, I'll be buried or cremated here. The only proviso is if I get really successful at facilitating the revolution............:)

Seriously though, my handbag got snatched back in 2004. That was in Tesco's, High Wycombe in the country I used to call home, when I went on a visit. Ain't never happened here. But then, I was a stranger in High Wycombe and I'm not here.

This brings up a serious question... at least for me.

Do they have cremation here? Yes? Where?
The funerals here put them in the ground quite quickly.. its hot!!

What will I do when/if I die here?
I have no trouble staying here... just how to handle it.
Funeral pyre an option??

"yust wrap me up in dus flagge and flott me out to da sea"
My old Viking friend always said this

Not so bad, huh?

So, new thread..... DEATH IN PARAISO

Who's going first ??

WW