Dog food in the D.R.?

Apr 7, 2010
For you dog owners, what's the quality of the dog food there? We're shipping out in 6 weeks and are considering buying up some here in the States to bring with us, but if it's readily available, of good quality, and reasonably-priced there, we may hold off.

Thanks!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Pretty much the same name brands that are in the states but a bit more expensive by about 25%, dry and canned...Shipping does cost....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a type of Royal Canin here that I haven't seen in the US.
I use it..... about 1600 pesos per 40lb bag.

If you have a container coming and lots of room..... ship what you want.
But it will run out eventually... then what will you do?

There is decent food available... Science Diet (altho not my choice)

WW

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
everything by proplan is available here, and they will deliver it straight from the importer to your house (if you want the contact details, pm me)

if you are into holistic brands like eagle or nature's variety, do bring your own, or even better, start importing it and i will buy it from you... lol

isabellewells

Nov 5, 2010
Hi dog and cat lovers

I am in the States and trying to get some good dog food sent directly to a family for their dog. can you recomend a company who actually delivers dog food directly to the door. thanks
any other recomendation would be appreciated. i understand the cost is about 25% above the State prices which is more than I expected. Any good brand you found that you can find in the supermarket without fillers or by product.
isa

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
for one dog no, no firm will deliver directly...

and no supermarkets carry any brands without side-products in them... they only carry dogchow, or a no name brand...

some veterinarios carry better products like ProPlan, Hills or RC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Dogs Eat Meat!"

Go to the "Butcher" at any "Supermercado" and you can get lots of "MEAT"!
"Trimmings","Puree of "Bones",chicken skins",isn't that "Offal"?????:cheeky:
Cris Colonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

"Oh", and all for less than 8 pesos a pound! "Dog Food" is about 20 'or more' pesos a pound,and ONLY about 20 to 25 % protien, the REST is: "God Only Knows What"!

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Dogs eat everything

Dogs are omnivores and will eat everything, not only meat. If you give a dog solely meat or bones he gets not the essential vitamins and minerals he needs.
Can he survive on it? Sure but if you want a good looking, healthy dog with shiny coat and a good resistance, you will need to go a bit further then beyond just giving meat.

I posted it already before, I am all for given a dog raw but in this country its not possible due to the lack of variety in their raw Barfen diet so I give kibbles.

Which kibble makes not that much difference since - at least the ones you can buy here - all have synthetic preservation stuff added and often as starch corn added to it but all kibbles at least are pretty much balanced in their protein/fat levels.

I look what goes best for the whole of my pack so that I don't have to stock several different kinds together and at the moment they are doing "fine" on Champeon. Have to see if the sport dogs of the pack will do good enough on it during intensive training which starts soon and see if they get enough energy out of it and otherwise those dogs will get the Proplan Performance.

Acira