Incredible Tennis

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At Wimbleton there is a match that will go into it's THIRD DAY!!
Yesterday, they were tied at 2 sets apiece and tied at 7-7 in the 5th set.
It is now 59-59 in the fifth set, and there are something like 10 all time records broken...

It has just been suspended on account of darkness!!

Incredible story of persistance and resistance..

HB

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the first jamaican played there this year .........is that close enough to be dominican related lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually I should have mentioned Dominican-born Mary Jo Fernandez....HEHE

they have played 10 hours so far, 7 + in the fifth set alone. The Associated Press said:

WIMBLEDON, England -- The longest match in tennis history has been suspended for darkness at 59-59 in the fifth set at Wimbledon. The first-round match between 23rd-seeded John Isner of Tampa, Fla., and qualifier Nicolas Mahut of France was halted at dusk Wednesday. It had already been suspended because of fading light Tuesday night after the fourth set.

They have been playing for a total of exactly 10 hours -- 7 hours, 6 minutes in the fifth set alone, enough to break the full-match record of 6:33, set at the 2004 French Open.

Or words to that effect.

Mary Jo the Dominican-born, Cuban adopted, Jarabacoa reared tennis star and EXPN commentator said that she never wanted to see the match end...

Good stuff, no matter.

HB

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Mahut(france) and Isner(usa). Couldn't believe it. I believe they have an average of 96 aces each! Never saw guys so tired. First time in history absolutley amazing. ( for those that aren't into tennis, the average long game will go 14-16, not 59-59. Too bad they ended it, we'll see manjana.
I got a feeling for Mahut. Sombodey start a wimbeldon thread...LOL Great tennis.
Dougie.

May 5, 2007
The sad thing is, this marathon display of tennis could easily be decided by only a few strokes tomorrow. Guess it will be who wakes up with the least sore arm and can quickly get his "A" game on

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It took a bit more than an hour today, with Queen Elizabeth II in attendance, for Isner to defeat Mahut 70-68, I believe. The numbers are staggering and just for really intense sports nuts. Think of a 100 hole golf play off; a 200 goal f?tbol/soccer shootout; 50 Overtimes in a Hockey or Basketball game or a 100+ inning baseball game...with Dominican pitchers and batters!! JEJE

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the Queen only stayed to watch Andy Murray.......call me a nit picker lol

anyone interested in playing tennis by the way ? I havent asked for six months lol