Cancer! Does Cuba help Dominicans?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
No, not me!
But my neighbor's wife has breast cancer. I know little detail. We just greet and since I found out, I asked once or twice politely "how is she doing". That has been very gracefully received by the family.
A month or so ago, It seemed things were looking brighter. Apparently they had removed a breast and she had been released home.
But today, I ran into her husband, him himself not looking very good... she is NOT doing well at all and scheduled for new chemo. More cancer! He said "it's life... we'll probably won't be neighbors much longer as we'll be putting the house up for sale soon if that's what it takes".

I don't want to "open the door" to any hopes of monetary aid from me... and I right now, I have no reason to believe that this would be their hopes.
But, I've been thinking. And I seem to remember previous "cancer" threads where CUBA was mentioned as a possible alternative for Dominicans to get treatment.

Does anybody know, if that is a real possibility and IF so, how Cuba is to be approached, how much or how little the cost(s) may be?

After some extensive search, I finally managed to find a web page of Cuba's consulate in Santo Domingo: Datos de la Embajada de Cuba en la RD
But have not found anything about any health or aid program for non-Cubans.

... J-D.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the problem is, that in DR post cancer treatment is not covered by seguro. and chemo/radio therapy is expensive no matter where you look...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
so, health insurance here will cover the removal of a cancer or tumor, but not the necessary treatment afterwards??? So, what is the use of removing it???:ermm:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You have probably already thought (& maybe acted) on this but are not the owners of the house in front of you Cuban? Fairly well heeled Cubans who might in fact already have some contacts over there as I recall?

If you do not find the answers you want/need, I will gladly chat with some doctors at Centro Medico & find out who the Cuban Doctors are who work there. Alternatively I will give you the names/tel.No.s of the doctors & you can ring or go see them yourself! ~ Grahame.

Reactions: J D Sauser

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Have a look at
SELECCI?N DE TRATAMIENTOS CONTRA EL C?NCER EN CUBA

Note: Usted s?lo paga los gastos de alojamiento y alimentaci?n. El tratamiento en si es gratis. There is also an experimental use of scorpion venom, Escozul, you might want to read up on (I obviously don't know if it works, but worth researching)
Escozul, veneno de alacr?n, Tratamiento Experimental

They have a rep in DR according to this, scroll down to Republica Dominicana (& ignore the DR flag colour scheme!)

Sr. Abel Vaquer
e-mail: rdominicana@cubaforhealth.com
Direcci?n: Avenida Espa?a, edificio 5, apto 7, Villa Duarte, al lado del orange. Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana.

Instituto Oncologia y Radiobiologia Habana / Escozul (espa?ol/english)

TRATAMIENTOS CONTRA EL CANCER EN CUBA

Instituto Nacional de Oncol?gica y Radiobiologia

Reactions: J D Sauser

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks to both of you, BB and Lambada.
My "Cuban" neighbors... well, most of them have "fled" to Miami. They are not fond of Cuba as it is and Cuba or it's ruler may not be fond of them.
If you have a Cuba friendly Cuban contact, yes, please, if you could find out if there is a program.
It would seem that the links provided by Lambada are geared towards an American and European CLIENTELE. I don't know if my neighbors can afford it and I don't really want to find out (if you know what I mean). So, I will study them, regroup the info and hand it out to them.

It was my understanding that Cuba had some "social" help programs for foreigners of limited economy (?).

And thank you too, dv8!

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It was my understanding that Cuba had some "social" help programs for foreigners of limited economy (?).
... J-D.

Yes they do. They have been sending medics to countries in need for years:
Havana's Medics Work Around The World

and certainly Operation Miracle, the joint Cuban-Venezuelan eye surgery initiative, receives patients in Cuba:

Further Increase in Operation Miracle Treatments

Cuban eye surgery programme benefits nearly half million patients

Over 47,000 Haitians benefit from Operation Miracle

Then there are the missions which arrive in the DR for a limited period:
Medical Mission to the Dominican Republic Organized by Doctors and Volunteers of the Cuban Association of the Order of Malta (different group of Cubans!)

Hope you'll find some leads therein, JD.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes they do. They have been sending medics to countries in need for years:
Havana's Medics Work Around The World

and certainly Operation Miracle, the joint Cuban-Venezuelan eye surgery initiative, receives patients in Cuba:

Further Increase in Operation Miracle Treatments

Cuban eye surgery programme benefits nearly half million patients

Over 47,000 Haitians benefit from Operation Miracle

Then there are the missions which arrive in the DR for a limited period:
Medical Mission to the Dominican Republic Organized by Doctors and Volunteers of the Cuban Association of the Order of Malta (different group of Cubans!)

Hope you'll find some leads therein, JD.

Hope they are doing better with their medical system than education. My Cuban sister-in-law was impressed by the medical care she and her son recweived in the DR. Generation Y ? When Learning Turns to Dust

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes Bob, I'm pretty sure if you and your Cuban sister in law would pay for this woman's medical treatment she wouldn't need to go to that horrible country would she? ;)
Silly me, Why would I believe my sister-in-law, she doesn't live in Cuba anymore.
Since you are more a fan of the Cuban Government perhaps you can donate your money for:
Here is Info to Get Escozul from Labiofam Cuba | Cuba Forum by Havana Journal
MEDICC Review - Revention and treatment of Breast Cancer in Cuba
TRATAMIENTOS CONTRA EL CANCER EN CUBA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Lets please not let this one go into a pro/anti Castro-Cuba debate.

I have had many discussions with Cubans abroad. Medical care CAN be very good in Cuba, but supplies are often in shortage. Cuba is, as we all know, FAR from perfect.
HOWEVER, for foreigners, paying or not, the whole thing seems to be made to look much better/good.

HERE in the DR it's quite a bit different.
PAYING or with a reasonably good insurance, one can obtain quite good care, and there is not much of a shortage of supplies... except for electricity and gas for the ambulance maybe.
But, for somebody who goes or HAS to go to the "public" hospital... having an as serious issue as breast cancer is... :ermm:

Look, I don't know the details of the family in question... I DON'T really WANT to know or get overly involved. They are neighbors, we only greeted for years. Then, I found out and expressed my sympathies to the husband.

• The lady was said to be in treatment, I BELIEVE in Santo Domingo.
  • A couple of weeks ago, I hear she was back home, everybody over the street looked happier.
  • An NOW, it all looks bad again.

So, what may that all suggest?

• Maybe, it was and now is all too late.
  • Maybe, she got sub par care and attention.
  • Maybe, they are just not "interesting" patients... meaning, they are NOT rich... just struggling Dominican middle class.
  • Maybe, as clueless as I am, I might have it all a$$ backwards.

So, I thought, if Castro's Cuba feels it is of their political advantage to help or maybe even SAFE this lady... I say: Heck, why not? It's a life, a family, and there are kids too...

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lets please not let this one go into a pro/anti Castro-Cuba debate.

Absolutely second this. I think most of us were aware that your question required us to co-operate by helping find possible resources, and NOT offer political diatribes one way or the other. It doesn't help you and it most certainly doesn't help your neighbours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Absolutely second this. I think most of us were aware that your question required us to co-operate by helping find possible resources, and NOT offer political diatribes one way or the other. It doesn't help you and it most certainly doesn't help your neighbours.

I believe two of the links I provided give information on the process and costs ( hotel and meals only - treatment is free)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interestingly the same deal at the link provided at post 6. 'Usted s?lo paga los gastos de alojamiento y alimentaci?n. El tratamiento en si es gratis.'

Proves we both know how to use Google, DOESN'T IT. Medical Tourism is a big source of dollars for the Cuban government.

cuas

May 29, 2006
In my college years in the 70's the PLD was sending people to CUBA for medical care. I do not know if now.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Proves we both know how to use Google, DOESN'T IT. Medical Tourism is a big source of dollars for the Cuban government.

So what? so people should die awaiting class A medical help because Castro must not be supported at all cost?? Hey Castro should go, but my or anyone medical care is a way bigger priority.

Is amazing how sometimes people have priorities mixed up.

"Conio me estoy muriendo, pero al menos no le lleve mi dinero al mar..on de Fidel"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So what? so people should die awaiting class A medical help because Castro must not be supported at all cost?? Hey Castro should go, but my or anyone medical care is a way bigger priority.

Is amazing how sometimes people have priorities mixed up.

"Conio me estoy muriendo, pero al menos no le lleve mi dinero al mar..on de Fidel"

Not sure that I indicated anywhere than someone with a medical issue should not seek help in Cuba, or anywhere else. Cancer is a terrible disease and if Cuban research has led to a cure I'm sure Fidel would offer it for free to the world, humanitarian that he is. It's amazing how some people can figure out a person's priorities from a posting on DR1.