Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer! Does Cuba help Dominicans?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancer! Does Cuba help Dominicans?

No, not me!
    But my neighbor's wife has breast cancer. I know little detail. We just greet and since I found out, I asked once or twice politely "how is she doing". That has been very gracefully received by the family.
    A month or so ago, It seemed things were looking brighter. Apparently they had removed a breast and she had been released home.
    But today, I ran into her husband, him himself not looking very good... she is NOT doing well at all and scheduled for new chemo. More cancer! He said "it's life... we'll probably won't be neighbors much longer as we'll be putting the house up for sale soon if that's what it takes".

I don't want to "open the door" to any hopes of monetary aid from me... and I right now, I have no reason to believe that this would be their hopes.
    But, I've been thinking. And I seem to remember previous "cancer" threads where CUBA was mentioned as a possible alternative for Dominicans to get treatment.

Does anybody know, if that is a real possibility and IF so, how Cuba is to be approached, how much or how little the cost(s) may be?

After some extensive search, I finally managed to find a web page of Cuba's consulate in Santo Domingo: Datos de la Embajada de Cuba en la RD
    But have not found anything about any health or aid program for non-Cubans.

... J-D.
    Last edited by J D Sauser; 06-23-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

the problem is, that in DR post cancer treatment is not covered by seguro. and chemo/radio therapy is expensive no matter where you look...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

so, health insurance here will cover the removal of a cancer or tumor, but not the necessary treatment afterwards??? So, what is the use of removing it???

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

well, it is not there anymore, that must be good, no? however, the insurance money ends there.
    i found this website with info on cuban health care:
    Sistema de salud
    an article about hospital in cuba that caters to extranjeros:
    http://lecturas.cibercuba.com/2008/1...A1s_alto_nivel

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You have probably already thought (& maybe acted) on this but are not the owners of the house in front of you Cuban? Fairly well heeled Cubans who might in fact already have some contacts over there as I recall?

If you do not find the answers you want/need, I will gladly chat with some doctors at Centro Medico & find out who the Cuban Doctors are who work there. Alternatively I will give you the names/tel.No.s of the doctors & you can ring or go see them yourself! ~ Grahame.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at
    SELECCIÓN DE TRATAMIENTOS CONTRA EL CÁNCER EN CUBA

Note: Usted sólo paga los gastos de alojamiento y alimentación. El tratamiento en si es gratis. There is also an experimental use of scorpion venom, Escozul, you might want to read up on (I obviously don't know if it works, but worth researching)
    Escozul, veneno de alacrán, Tratamiento Experimental

They have a rep in DR according to this, scroll down to Republica Dominicana (& ignore the DR flag colour scheme!)

Sr. Abel Vaquer
    e-mail: [email protected]
    Dirección: Avenida España, edificio 5, apto 7, Villa Duarte, al lado del orange. Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana.

Instituto Oncologia y Radiobiologia Habana / Escozul (español/english)

TRATAMIENTOS CONTRA EL CANCER EN CUBA

Instituto Nacional de Oncológica y Radiobiologia

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you, BB and Lambada.
    My "Cuban" neighbors... well, most of them have "fled" to Miami. They are not fond of Cuba as it is and Cuba or it's ruler may not be fond of them.
    If you have a Cuba friendly Cuban contact, yes, please, if you could find out if there is a program.
    It would seem that the links provided by Lambada are geared towards an American and European CLIENTELE. I don't know if my neighbors can afford it and I don't really want to find out (if you know what I mean). So, I will study them, regroup the info and hand it out to them.

It was my understanding that Cuba had some "social" help programs for foreigners of limited economy (?).

And thank you too, dv8!

... J-D.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    It was my understanding that Cuba had some "social" help programs for foreigners of limited economy (?).
    ... J-D.
    Yes they do. They have been sending medics to countries in need for years:
    Havana's Medics Work Around The World

and certainly Operation Miracle, the joint Cuban-Venezuelan eye surgery initiative, receives patients in Cuba:

Further Increase in Operation Miracle Treatments

Cuban eye surgery programme benefits nearly half million patients

Over 47,000 Haitians benefit from Operation Miracle

Then there are the missions which arrive in the DR for a limited period:
    Medical Mission to the Dominican Republic Organized by Doctors and Volunteers of the Cuban Association of the Order of Malta (different group of Cubans!)

Hope you'll find some leads therein, JD.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Yes they do. They have been sending medics to countries in need for years:
    Havana's Medics Work Around The World

and certainly Operation Miracle, the joint Cuban-Venezuelan eye surgery initiative, receives patients in Cuba:

Further Increase in Operation Miracle Treatments

Cuban eye surgery programme benefits nearly half million patients

Over 47,000 Haitians benefit from Operation Miracle

Then there are the missions which arrive in the DR for a limited period:
    Medical Mission to the Dominican Republic Organized by Doctors and Volunteers of the Cuban Association of the Order of Malta (different group of Cubans!)

Hope you'll find some leads therein, JD.
    Hope they are doing better with their medical system than education. My Cuban sister-in-law was impressed by the medical care she and her son recweived in the DR. Generation Y » When Learning Turns to Dust

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Hope they are doing better with their medical system than education. My Cuban sister-in-law was impressed by the medical care she and her son recweived in the DR. Generation Y » When Learning Turns to Dust

Yes Bob, I'm pretty sure if you and your Cuban sister in law would pay for this woman's medical treatment she wouldn't need to go to that horrible country would she?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast