Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was the First to Emigrate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who was the First to Emigrate?

I don't know what made me think of this, but it would be interesting to find out. Who was the first Dominican to emigrate to the US? Anyone know?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican Americans - History, Immigration, Relations with other americans, Acculturation and assimilation, Cuisine, Holidays, Health issues, Language This might help a little bit .....just scroll down....some info .....not the first one or any specific names....But it seems it kinda started in 1960....or pretty close to that time.....and really took off in the 80's and 90's........

Post Thanks / Like

There were Dominicans going to the US and Europe before passports were required...

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    There were Dominicans going to the US and Europe before passports were required...

HB
    I figured as much. I know that the Marines were there in the 20's and maybe a few came over then. also, I know the US was looking at Samana bay for a naval base in the 1860's, so maybe a few came then too.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dominican Studies Institue at the City University of NY had a presentation on this not too long ago.

I think they helped with this too, not sure though.
    Nueva York | El Museo del Barrio New York

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

apparently they were white dominicans from janico but im sure there was some immigration among the upper classes to us during the early 1900's

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

There's probably a passenger list somewhere at Ellis Island that would answer that question.....

I'm thinking the first FAMOUS Dominican in the US was probably Porfirio Rubirosa. Can you think of anyone before that? Excluding Trujillo of course.

AE

Post Thanks / Like

Default The first inmigrant

In 1505, at the end of the second Higüey war (which lasted 8 or 10 months), Ponce de León built a fortified home on the original site of the Villa de Salvaleón de Higüey. This should at least give him the status of residency, although he would have had to wait another 330 years before he could claim nationality.
    In 1513 he lead an expedition to discover the Fountain of Youth, and incidentally discovered Florida
    Does this make Ponce de León the first to emigrate a los países?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I read it somewhere but now I cant find it. A search of Ellis Island records shows a Cambiaso, R. Perez from Pto Plata arrived on the ship Algonquin 1/24/1914.

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Taino Indians. Pottery evidence in the Bahamas show that, though by canoe, Tainos in Hispaniola "traded" with Arawaks in the Bahamas. Arawaks were also in lower Florida. Taino visitors surely integrated themselves and explored further west, perhaps with their Arawak friends, perhaps alone.

Tainos had a more advanced civil organization as well as distinctive and superior artifacts and artisanship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast