Who was the First to Emigrate?

May 12, 2005
I don't know what made me think of this, but it would be interesting to find out. Who was the first Dominican to emigrate to the US? Anyone know?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There were Dominicans going to the US and Europe before passports were required...

HB

May 12, 2005
There were Dominicans going to the US and Europe before passports were required...

HB

I figured as much. I know that the Marines were there in the 20's and maybe a few came over then. also, I know the US was looking at Samana bay for a naval base in the 1860's, so maybe a few came then too.

ElRubio

Jul 9, 2010
apparently they were white dominicans from janico but im sure there was some immigration among the upper classes to us during the early 1900's

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There's probably a passenger list somewhere at Ellis Island that would answer that question.....

I'm thinking the first FAMOUS Dominican in the US was probably Porfirio Rubirosa. Can you think of anyone before that? Excluding Trujillo of course.

AE

nidiayjohn

May 20, 2010
Resident since 1982
The first inmigrant

In 1505, at the end of the second Hig?ey war (which lasted 8 or 10 months), Ponce de Le?n built a fortified home on the original site of the Villa de Salvale?n de Hig?ey. This should at least give him the status of residency, although he would have had to wait another 330 years before he could claim nationality.
In 1513 he lead an expedition to discover the Fountain of Youth, and incidentally discovered Florida
Does this make Ponce de Le?n the first to emigrate a los pa?ses?

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Taino Indians. Pottery evidence in the Bahamas show that, though by canoe, Tainos in Hispaniola "traded" with Arawaks in the Bahamas. Arawaks were also in lower Florida. Taino visitors surely integrated themselves and explored further west, perhaps with their Arawak friends, perhaps alone.

Tainos had a more advanced civil organization as well as distinctive and superior artifacts and artisanship.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I remember finding a website that listed ship manifests of those that travelled to Ellis Island. There were some ships from Dominican ports in the early 1900's that listed several Brugals and other families as passengers. They were in the first class and may have been visiting and not immigrating though.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No doubt Dominicans have been emigrating to the US ever since there have been established trade routes between the countries. I would expect this would have started possibly in the late 1600's or the early 1700's. By the latter part of the 1700's trade between SD and the US was in full swing. Here is a map of the colonial US showing important ports (courtesy Wikipedia):

w8mcnm.jpg

At the onset of the Haitian revolution many French in Saint Domingue came to SD and stayed while others eventually moved to the US in addition to Cuba. New Orleans and Charleston SC were two cities that received a great deal of immigrants. No doubt Dominicans came along as well.

In fact the mother of our family patriarch (we still have his Bible) was born in Santo Dominigo at the beginning of the 1800's and died relatively young at 33 in Charleston.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I definitely recall reading a book in Barnes n' Noble in regards to either Dominican history or Puerto Rican history, can't remember, but I do remember seeing names of passengers traveling back and forth from NYC to Trujillo City. It was a nice book with pictures of dominicans in the early 20th century.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks for the website. I did a search using my last name and found a "must be" relative arriving in Sept 7 1919, ship name: Huron from Santo Domingo port. I then conclude that many more Dominicans made in the same ship and this was probably not the first one to arrive.

Interesting, was the "must be" relative a direct ascendant of you like your greatgrandfather? So you are Dominican American and your family has been here in the US since 1919? If that is the case is your family completely assimilated or do you still speak Spanish/keep up other customs?

A trip to Ellis Island is definitely worth the ferry trip from either Liberty State Park in Jersey City or downtown Manhattan. As I remember, it mostly deals with immigrants from Europe but I am sure there are some exhibits on Latin America.