Dominican slang for money

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I am trying to decipher and translate a taped conversation, and there is a word that is rather muffled, but I am positive it signifies money. He says, "Quiero trabajar por cash asi no pueden volver a roer mas _______"

I don't think he's saying peso, because that doesn't sound right, but it sounds like peso or teco or something like that. I'm rusty at speaking Dominican, to say the least, but the only terms I can think of for money are "cuarto", "plata", "lana", "baro", "feria"...and most of these terms aren't typically Dominican.

Anyone, anyone?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
hmmm...great words, but listening, none of these fit...sounds more like cinco or pico or something like that; "a roer mas cinco" no se dice, vdd?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... "pico" when comes to money means "and something". so you can have veinte y pico: twenty and a bit, twenty something.
does it make sense?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
hmmm... "pico" when comes to money means "and something". so you can have veinte y pico: twenty and a bit, twenty something.
does it make sense?

I totally forgot about that! I think that might work! Thanks so much!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
G?ita; plata, Duartes, verdes, sucios, chavos, and my mind blanks out...must be more and better.

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Cuartos is the most used one. Tablas, los chelitos, los bullullos, el menudito, el efectivo & La Paca!! :D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"MOTA" is sometimes used to refer to poverty or worthless currency.

No tengo ni una mota...for example

HB

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
pico also comes from the word picar and In Dominican slang pico can also mean to get money. for example. yo boy a picar. it can mean that I'm gonna get some money.

Another term for getting money is "saco'". saco when translated to english means sack or bag but In DR slang saco means a lot of money.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"MOTA" is sometimes used to refer to poverty or worthless currency.
No tengo ni una mota...for example
HB

there was a thread about mota four years ago :) mota, i believe, being an old (that is out of circulation) coin of low value, right?