Why DR1, why????

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
For some time now, DR1 has, for some obscure reason, decided to link up with Facebook...

The result is simply astonishing, annoying, and causing the website to be agonisingly slow for those members living in the DR, depending on banda ancha or 3G... and I think quite a lot of members are unfortunately depending on those...

Aside from the fact that Facebook is one of the unsafest programs around, and one of the most obnoxious (my humble opinion), it simply kills the enjoyment of surfing on DR1...

I have actually started to play minesweeper while waiting for the next page to appear...

I suggest we start bombarding those guys from DR1 (sorry, Robert...) so DR 1 can be restored...:bunny::bunny:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For some time now, DR1 has, for some obscure reason, decided to link up with Facebook...

The result is simply astonishing, annoying, and causing the website to be agonisingly slow for those members living in the DR, depending on banda ancha or 3G... and I think quite a lot of members are unfortunately depending on those...

Aside from the fact that Facebook is one of the unsafest programs around, and one of the most obnoxious (my humble opinion), it simply kills the enjoyment of surfing on DR1...

I have actually started to play minesweeper while waiting for the next page to appear...

I suggest we start bombarding those guys from DR1 (sorry, Robert...) so DR 1 can be restored...:bunny::bunny:

I haven't had any other complaints of the site being slow due to Facebook.

What exactly is the problem?

What doesn't work?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no problem with DR1 pageloads here on my wireless stick.
sure I will not connect it with facebook,
Facbeook sucks,
and more important,
Facebook fills your computer with thosuands of computer speed slowing BS data daily, so if you care about your puter, stay far away from FB.
but simply and alone DR1,
i have to defend the English man,
it works just fine over here,
on the laptop on the Veranda this time of the eve of course.
cheers
Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Regardless of Facebook, DR1 has been in a full on nose dive for five years.

We must have climbed to a pretty big height if we have been in a nose dive for 5 years. 12,000+ uniques yesterday, not bad for a site in nose dive ;)

Why are you still here posting? I guess we must be doing something right????

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm certainly not complaining about DR1 in itself... but whenever you now open a thread it somehow routes through FB, and then google adds... just look at the bottom of your screen, and it makes the whole thing immensely slow for those with already slow speeds...

I can sympathise with the google-adds out of a commercial point of view... but feel that FB and DR1 should not have any connection... those of us who want to read on FB when one of their friends is getting ready to peel potatoes, are free to do so when they sign up there...

Especially if it influences the performance of a great MB to the annoyance of its members...

The reason for this thread, Robert, is certainly not an attack, but to see if other members feel the same way... and then it is up to DR1 to draw its conclusions...

Peter

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm certainly not complaining about DR1 in itself... but whenever you now open a thread it somehow routes through FB, and then google adds... just look at the bottom of your screen, and it makes the whole thing immensely slow for those with already slow speeds...

I can sympathise with the google-adds out of a commercial point of view... but feel that FB and DR1 should not have any connection... those of us who want to read on FB when one of their friends is getting ready to peel potatoes, are free to do so when they sign up there...

Especially if it influences the performance of a great MB to the annoyance of its members...

The reason for this thread, Robert, is certainly not an attack, but to see if other members feel the same way... and then it is up to DR1 to draw its conclusions...

btw... this is attempt 3 to try and post this reply... see where it gets to be very annoying???:bunny:

attempt 4

Peter

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I haven't noticed any slowness loading, but then again I am usually getting incoming at about 3.35mg. DR1 rocks, and Facebook blows.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i don't have any of these problems... but i'm not logged into facebook.

belgiank, if you log out of facebook before using dr1, does it speed things up? maybe clear your cache too

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not logged into facebook... I log in there maybe once a forthnight... and as soon as I have my new comp... I will not log in at all...

so this cannot be the problem...

apparently most of us agree on one thing, FB sucks, so why did DR1 start to cooperate with them...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm not logged into facebook... I log in there maybe once a forthnight... and as soon as I have my new comp... I will not log in at all...

so this cannot be the problem...

apparently most of us agree on one thing, FB sucks, so why did DR1 start to cooperate with them...

Don't use FB if you feel this way.

Here is a unique idea, if you do use Facebook and it causes DR1 issues, don't log to DR1 via Facebook, not exactly rocket science papi.

If you can get a dog to throw a Frisbee, I am sure you can log on to DR1 without FB!

cheers,

tambo'

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
That isn't the issue. I also have noticed, when the ADSL speed is slow here, that pages take forever to load and there is a message "waiting for Facebook."

I have never used Facebook, so it cannot be because I am logging on through it.

BelgianK, what I do (not a complete fix, but better) is to use Google Chrome as my browser. When DR1 is running slowly on IE or Firefox, Chrome is significantly faster - even for tabbed browsing.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just to set things straight...

I do not log onto DR1 through FB...
99% of the time I do not log onto FB at all...

I log onto DR1 by typing in the adress the old-fashioned way... and then the **** hits the fan... maybe I'm the only one reading the bottom of my screen, as everything is so slow... but any thread is redirected (rerouted...) through FB and google-adds... so this is the same for everyone here...

oh... you want to hear the bad news?... It also means everything you write here can be found, not by me, but by a lot of people out there...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow,
that's something i never considered,
Robert may be able to answer that.
I have tonight a surprisingly quick connection,
so I tried to log in several times in a row now,
but it goes too quick to read a thingy what is shown during the log in process shown on the bottom line of the page, can't comment on that, but would be interested to get it figured out by a knowledgeable Pro.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey,
now I saw it,
it shows www.facebook.com/extern......
couldn't read the rest, it shows just for an eyeblink.
Yes BelgianK,
now I agree to your explanation,
it is a rerouting and when on a slow connection that will slow it down significantly more.
what concerns me even more than speedloss is that I know as fact due bad experiences with facebook, that they leave a bunch of "marks" on the 'puter after visiting their site.
I would not appreciate to get such left on my 'puter again while simply logging into DR1 by my fav menue saved log in when I do not like, even hate, facebook.
would be a bad feature and considerable to stop using a log in.
explanations awaited
Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only people that see Google ads are non-logged in users.
If your logged in, you will not see the Google ads, only banner ads.

I'm trying to duplicate your error, But I can't :(

The Facebook code is almost nothing and should have very little effect on the page loading speed.
All we pull from Facebook is an image, a really small image.

The "Like" images are in an iFrame so that should not effect the page loading.

Unless lots of other people have issues or someone can show me exactly the problem they are having, I'm at a loss what to do.

We have a bunch of users logging in via their Facebook accounts.
A large percentage of new users have Facebook accounts and use the FConnet to login
to DR1. It's becoming more popular, for better or for worse :)

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
I have also noticed in the last little while (1 or two months?), that it takes longer than normal for DR1 to load and often enough I get an error message and I have to retry a few times; I don't seem to have this problem with other sites that I visit frequently. I have never accessed DR1 through facebook, nor would I, so I am not sure if it is being rerouted through facebook and/or why it would be.
I use a MAC so I don't see these message flashes across the bottom; I'm not sure if I can tell if it is being rerouted elsewhere.

My two cents.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DR1 is NOT re-routed through Facebook or any other site.

Yes, we pull an image from Facebook if your not logged in.
Once your logged in, then the code is removed.

What exact error message do you get?
What browser are you using on your MAC?
Is it slower to load when you're logged in or logged out?

The more info I have, the easier it is for me to trace a potential problem.

Thanks.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I just checked and saw the 'waiting for Facebook.......' message in the bar at bottom of page, but it was quick to load. No problem there. Mind you, I don't have a Facebook account.