pregnancy and ticks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so, our dog is supposedly pregnant. too early to tell yet but apparently when dogs get their bottoms stuck together the female gets preggers. and the bottoms of fiji and her partner were stuck as our neighbour was glad to inform in his 6.45am phone call :)
we normally treat her with frontline for pulgas and garrapatas and it works fine but we have forgotten to give her the medicine prior to rakata and now we have a problem. within last week or so she has been swarmed with garrapatas (yesterday i pulled about 40 out of her ears only).
our vet says it is not good to give frontline to a pregnant dog but is even worse for her to have ticks. what is your experience?
i do not want anything bad to happen to fiji or the puppies but garrapatas are dangerous and we have to get rid of them. any other ideas?
and yes, as soon it stops raining we will fumigate the whole patio few times to make sure there are no bloodthirsty buggers left.
i appreciate all advice, thanks!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
No frontline or anything else here into a pregnant dog except 1 week prior to birth a deworming of the pregnant dog and 1 week after birth again. I find that quite necessary because worms can be so nefast on little pups.

What the ticks or flees are concirned, you can add some garlic to the dogs diet every day (not much) and you can treat the dog on the outside with a spray against ticks and flees but use the lesser strong version they use also for pups.

Ofcourse prevention in fumigating your lawn and patio is something you should do as soon as possible considering the amounts of ticks you have to get off your dog every day and they are dangerous to your dog aswell as to you and your family.

Take care.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what spray against ticks and fleas? where can i get it?
i googled frontline and they say it is supposedly safe on pregnant/nursing dogs but there were also many negative opinions about its use :(
darn, darn, darn.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Fipronex Duo Spray against ticks and flees. Got it here from petshop Animal Planet but any descent petshop should have it I guess.

I never ever use anything that goes into the bloodstream such as Frontline with a pregnant dog despite that they say its suppose to be safe.

I hesistate every time with the deworming but I still do it because where you can control quite well ticks and flees, you do not have any control on what a pregnant dog gets inside or puppies through the milk or through eating dirt from the ground.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, acira! we walk our dog every day so she "brings" stuff from the outside (ticks, worms, etc), we may hold that practice until she gets the pups. shame because she really looks forward to it every day!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Just try out the spray and have a walk with here and see if its working.
If its working fine, I wouldn't deny your dog its daily walk.

Don't deworm here now as the embryo's are too small right now, wait until 1 week before birth and give here a good cure and again 1 week after birth.
Use Drontal for deworming as that is at the moment the only one really helping to the more resistant worms.

Don't forget the puppies also! As from week two start deworming them all and repeat every two weeks until they are 3 months old (give that advice to the new owners of the puppies as you will probably have them yourself for 8 weeks).
NO frontline for puppies although there is a version on the market especially for pups but use IF necessary the spray on them or a shampoo against ticks and flees.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Acira forgot to mention, no drontal for the pups though. As we have not had pups here as yet, we will have to look into that ourselves... I will ask our trusted vet in Santiago and let you know...

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
i know this post is old but i have some info that might help some of you. when i bought my puppy 1 month ago she was filled with ticks and fleas. back in canada my dog never in her life had issued with that, it wasnt even a thought that came to my mind. anyways when i brought her home i found about 80 of them. she was only 9 weeks old and all fle and tick products i could find was for 12 weeks and over. i found a do it yourself spray online.

1 cup of w?ter
2 cups of vinager
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of sulfer powder. ( at the pharmacy its abut 10 pesos for a package)
and some old to not dry out your pets hair.( i used aloa vera oil that i use for my hair)

i sprayed my dog and the patio, all the window cils, and havent seen a tick or flea in about 2 weeks. of course after i took each one out one by one, and had night mares about them crawling onto our bed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i know this post is old but i have some info that might help some of you. when i bought my puppy 1 month ago she was filled with ticks and fleas. back in canada my dog never in her life had issued with that, it wasnt even a thought that came to my mind. anyways when i brought her home i found about 80 of them. she was only 9 weeks old and all fle and tick products i could find was for 12 weeks and over. i found a do it yourself spray online.

1 cup of w?ter
2 cups of vinager
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of sulfer powder. ( at the pharmacy its abut 10 pesos for a package)
and some old to not dry out your pets hair.( i used aloa vera oil that i use for my hair)

i sprayed my dog and the patio, all the window cils, and havent seen a tick or flea in about 2 weeks. of course after i took each one out one by one, and had night mares about them crawling onto our bed.

Good info to have. I just read the entire thread again, and we continued using Frontline when our rottie was pregnant because the box said it was safe.....who knew???

We also bathed the pups when they were small with a regular doggie shampoo, but we added a bit of Skin So Soft bath oil to the water, great for their coats and keeps the little buggies away too. We put it in a spray bottle for the big rotties, and spritz it on them, in addition to the Frontline.

Here in NJ, our rottie pup gets heartworm meds every month [after being tested] - but none of the vets in DR have ever mentioned it or tested the dogs - is it not done there? Or do we just have crummy vets?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Strangely 2 of my dogs have garrapatas and 2 dont....... go figure, they live together, play together, sleep together.........
I hand pick them off my rottweiler and the small poloche......
The vet gave us injections for the dogs. Supposedly poisons the dogs blood ( not harmful for the dogs says vet..... ) and in 2 or 3 days the garrapatas die and dry out. ( try and pick them off before they fall,off........) once every 2 months. I have no idea of the name ( and neither does the vet ?!!).

But even then the garrapatas always come back, and only on 2 of the dogs, so I guess it also has something to do with the kind of coat......
Campo, cows, grass........

I will give kaykat's potion a try...... thanks for the receipe ( for some unknown reason I cant "like").

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the injection must me ivermectine. malko, i suggest you buy a small pump that looks like a backpack. then go to veterinaria and get veneno para fumigar. you mix it with water and spray the area where dogs sleep and stay most of the time. spray also a patio, galeria and outside areas. it helps a lot.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We have sprayed dog houses, outside kitchen, around the house, walls ( they seem to "itch" themselves against the walls, especially after we bathe them )....... I think the conuco is the problem, too big to do anything about ( I spray the odd spot they like to dig into to....).

They have free run of the grounds around the house and also the conuco ( they go and poop far away down the bottom somewhere, so it is a lot less work for me in the mornings....).

And taking them " walkies" gets them mad with joy, so I dont have the heart to stop taking them out.......

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Go buy Brewers Yeast tablets. These are not harmful and should be available. I had a problem with ticks on my yellow lab years ago. My sister in-law, a nurse practitioner with German Shepards, told me to do that. My Lab was 70 lbs. Put 6 a day in his food. No more ticks--no more fleas.
I think Brewer's Yeast is a form of B vitamin. If we get to much, we pee it out.