Elder Care

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
My mother has Altzheimers and I was considering bringng her to the DR from the USA. Is that possible and is there any memory care facilities that anyone is aware of. I am guessing that there probably isn't and if she were in the DR we would have to hire nursing care to come to the home??? Anyone know of a memory care facility, pricing, reputation and such? Thank you.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Thank you! If you remember the name, would you please post that here, I would really appreciate it. Also, I assume your "compadre" is satisfied with it, but if not, please let me know. I'll be up on he north coast, which will be tough, but I don't think there is that much choice... Greatful to know there is something.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
My father is suffering from Alzheimer's.
Two or so years ago, as he began to be too much of a burden to handle by my mother alone in Europe, we briefly looked into the possibility of bringing them both here.
We came to believe that this is a country where you can still AFFORD to have one or two full time people who are dedicated to ONE person along IN YOUR home... AS LONG as Alzheimer's is the only concern. The problem however is, that Alzheimer's typically affects elderly people and that elderly people can face sudden and critical issues besides Alzheimer's. Besides living IN Santo Domingo or Santiago, it so turns out that most locations are often not ideally fitted for specialized care. Given that my mother is also not getting younger we finally found that also her medical well being was not as assured as she would expect where she is from.
Just some of the considerations which made us decide against bringing them here permanently. They had a great time while visiting thou.

... J-D.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
JD, This is going to sound cold, but part of my consideration is money. In the USA it will cost from $6,000 to $10,000 per month for special care for my mother out of pocket. The family wealth will be gone quickly and so I'm thinking of options. Bringing my mother to a nice home/house with a full time nurse in the DR may be much more affordable option. Since she is nearly in the state where she is staring at the wall or TV almost blankly, I don't think her location will matter much to her. She already thinks the care facility that she is currently at is her home... I mean the house she used to live in. I want her to be comfortable and happy, but there is less and less of her that is responding and being in a large institution in the States doesn't really improve the quality of her life. Anyways, I don't know whats right, wrong, best or horrible any more... If a good affordable facilty might exist in the DR I would be tempted. If its home care in the DR, then as things get worse I can help the nurse turn her over and clean her and such... just rambling with thoughts now... Thanks for your help and contribution...much appreciated.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I don't know whats right, wrong, best or horrible any more...

Whoooa there!!!

Yes you do!

You obviously care deeply about this.
That is what is right.

I hope when if I am ever in a similar situation that I will have brought my kids up right enough to be thinking like you are thinking.

Good luck with this - you deserve it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have considered this..... not quite there yet but close, for my mother.

Yes, I would do it...bring her here.
The people/caregivers are genuinely tender and sincere ( I have seen it)
The climate is better... whether one is aware or not, one's health is better.
We can all attest to that (I hope)

The cost is a HUGE factor.... you can offer better care for less...again, whether you choose at home or in a "home".

Yes, The risk of complications exists.... but once you are at a point - down the road of no return - those risks become less of a risk.... sounds terrible, but.... how does the parent want to finish the day?

Its a hard decision and harder to verbalise.... I begin to ramble....

Good luck and follow your heart

WW

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Thank you William, be careful on the timing. Health considerations and changes in mental capacity can occur overnight and the option of moving your mother to the DR may not be possible??? I don't know...

I understand completely when you say hard to verbalize... You hang in there too. Everyone who has been through this before has told me there are no right or wrong answers...no written rules. We are on our own to decide someone elses care and when its mother, well I just loose my breath and ...

Best wishes

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wow... I feel for you. Here's something to consider. How easy would it be for you and your family to visit her in the DR? Assuming you ended up taking that route? Think about that and the additional costs associated with travel. If I lived in the DR and was in your situation, I'd take her there - the cost is low and level of care high. Just something else to think about. Good luck.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The house that I am currently babysitting was lived in by an elderly woman (85) that needed constant care around the clock. They had two women, one that lived here and cleaned, cooked, and attended to the lady and the other did nothing but take care of her from about 8:00 am till about 4:00 pm. One gave her her medication during the day and the other at night. They were not professional in that sense of the word but they were caring and attended her every need, including her bathroom needs. There total pay was 12,000 DP (325. U.S.) per month. Plus, add on their food expenses. I don't believe you would have any problem finding responsible WOMEN to help with your situation here. With all the ex pats that reside here, I'll bet you would receive quite a few excellent references of woman here that would meet your needs.
It sounds like wherever you choose to bring your mom, you will make sure she is well care for.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Elder care and assisted living are prime examples of business opportunities in the DR that no one has addressed.

I am very interested in hearing of any that exist or are in planning stages.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Elder care and assisted living are prime examples of business opportunities in the DR that no one has addressed.

My group fo friends has talked about this and feel the same way as you do....
I will keep you on the list.

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you William, be careful on the timing. Health considerations and changes in mental capacity can occur overnight and the option of moving your mother to the DR may not be possible??? I don't know...

I understand completely when you say hard to verbalize... You hang in there too. Everyone who has been through this before has told me there are no right or wrong answers...no written rules. We are on our own to decide someone elses care and when its mother, well I just loose my breath and ...

Best wishes

Friends are a good source of comfort and advice.... many people have been here before.
One humourous story comes to mind....

Our friend's father is in a facility... very happy.
Because of the sloped inclines for wheelchairs and the fat handrails, he thinks he's on cruiseship.
When the family visits, he wants to know which port they boarded at and how long they'll be onboard.
At meals, he encourages them to eat their fill..... "All the food is free here !"

He's better off than most of us !

Its when they don't know you or they go catatonic that life can be miserable.

I dread that day and hope it never comes.

WW

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is something i think of every day. i live in DR, my family is in poland. my parents are 63 (dad) and 62 (mom). so far so good: they are very active and healthy and there is no history of debilitating diseases in the family. i have high hopes they will stay well for many more years to come. at the same time i fear they may not.
i have a brother but he is not much of a support (although who knows what he can become in the time of need).
miesposo tells me to bring my family here: we have a big hose, a garden (my parents like to dig in the ground). would i bring them here now? never ever. they do not speak language, they know no one. they would feel bad. in any case i offered and they say no.
would i bring them here if they were really sick, in vegetative state? yes, because they'd have a better care and i would be able to afford it.

to the OP: miesposo'd grandfather was really sick before his death at 96. during his last years he had people taking care of him 24/7 including a professional nurse - she charged about 16k pesos a month. for 30k you could have a nurse, a strong dude to help with lifting and washing and a doctor to come regularly for checkups. all at home, not in a facility.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
JD, This is going to sound cold, but part of my consideration is money. In the USA it will cost from $6,000 to $10,000 per month for special care for my mother out of pocket. The family wealth will be gone quickly and so I'm thinking of options. Bringing my mother to a nice home/house with a full time nurse in the DR may be much more affordable option. Since she is nearly in the state where she is staring at the wall or TV almost blankly, I don't think her location will matter much to her. She already thinks the care facility that she is currently at is her home... I mean the house she used to live in. I want her to be comfortable and happy, but there is less and less of her that is responding and being in a large institution in the States doesn't really improve the quality of her life. Anyways, I don't know whats right, wrong, best or horrible any more... If a good affordable facilty might exist in the DR I would be tempted. If its home care in the DR, then as things get worse I can help the nurse turn her over and clean her and such... just rambling with thoughts now... Thanks for your help and contribution...much appreciated.

I'm going to be harsh. My thoughts - "Where's there's a will, there's a relative." Unless you have a family foundation set-up, the family wealth is hers it won't be yours or your siblings until she passes on. It' there for her old age and care and not to fund your own retirement dreams in the DR. Okay maybe I'm wrong and out of order, but someone has to say it. Only you will be able to decide what's in her best interest.

Is she an elderly Spanish-speaker? Or an American English speaker? All her memories are stored in that language and the highly-specialized care for Alzheimer's requires managing her behaviour with those memories. I doubt an English speaker would get that care in the DR in a Spanish-speaking environment. It's hard to find that care in the USA let alone in another culture. I'm sure there are some excellent care for Spanish speakers. This facility that Bob posted a link to looks promising as a retirement home but not for the kind of care your mother will need. It think there's great potential there for rehabilitative care post-hip replacement etc. but for Alzheimer's? I can't see it unless you have English speaking nurses, nursing aides etc. Maybe that will happen.

Do you live in the DR now? Most people last about a year or two and lose all their savings and return broke. For you to succeed with this idea, you would have to be very "street-wise" or you will go through the "family wealth" and find yourself up the creek without a paddle.

Talk to a financial advisor in the US, I think the better solution is in your own country. It's not easy. I've seen all kinds of cognitive disabilities with my own late mother and my brain-injured brother and I feel for what you are facing. Do the best you can in your mother's best interest and you will make her proud.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Margaret, you and I read the same words very differently.

I read the concern about Family finances as having insufficient funds to give the parent proper care for the proper time.
You read them as the child short changing the parent for his/her own benefit.

I see nothing in the poster's remarks that would allow me to think your way.

I want to say "Shame on you" but then I would be as judgmental as you seem to be.
Instead, I say... "read the posts again with an open mind, and see if you find anything different"

It is Sunday.

WW

Jan 9, 2004
These have been looked at....

and thought about and even planned by lots of locals and expats. The problem is without a good health plan (read Medicare or a good local plan) and the fact that many Dominican plans exclude the elderly after a certain age, it is just not viable economically...yet.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and thought about and even planned by lots of locals and expats. The problem is without a good health plan (read Medicare or a good local plan) and the fact that many Dominican plans exclude the elderly after a certain age, it is just not viable economically...yet.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but think what is being talked about here is "Pay as you play " plan. Self funded, no health plan.
Thats why the concern to lower the cost

WW