Cooking Ribs in the DR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I love ribs and am not alone.

In the states I had all sorts of tools to do a great job cooking them to perfection. But I've struggled here. My toolkit is limited, unlike some of the restaruants who have the big barrel smokers and cheap labor keeping the coals stoked just right. But even the best of Dominican ribs just don't hit the spot like the ones from home.

We got a hankerin' for ribs recently. So a friend suggested I try his recipe since it doesn't need a lot of tools and the results are supposedly great.

So here is a photo documentary on the latest rib experiment @ Casa CB. Try this one at home, kiddies. Thank me later:

First, good, meaty ribs, seasoned. My friend uses KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning, but I didn't because it doesn't exist down here. So I used some fajita seasoning with garlic powder and paprika:
Rawribs.jpg

Into a bag they went, to "do their thing" for about 5 hours in the fridge:
Ribsbag.jpg

Time to cook. First thing, wrap in heavy foil, bone bend down:
beforefoil.jpg

Packages of pork goodness, ready for the oven:
infoil.jpg

They cook @ 250f for 2.5hours, come out and get unwrapped, meat side up:
Firstcook.jpg

The oven gets cranked to 350f and back in they go to dry out a little before going onto the grill. Remove in 20-25 mins.:
Cooked.jpg

On the grill...mmmm...nothing like rib smoke from the grill. Cook for 3-4 mins, turning frequently while you slather on the sauce. My friend uses Jack Daniels #7, but I didn't have any. I had to settle for some generic Hunts Hickory BBQ sauce. I may switch seasionings and sauce next try.:
Onthegrill.jpg

They are done:
Done.jpg

And on to the table:
Tothetable.jpg

The results were fantastic, and they didn't need hours on a smoldering grill. The meat just fell off the bones and they weren't mushy and wet. There is a slight smoky crust. This recipe is a keeper...until something better comes along.

So what's YOUR easy rib recipe?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Those look awesome.........I wasn't hungry.......but I am now..........looks like you did a good job....I'm gonna have to try that when I sober up someday...........

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
At La National we bought some Jim Beam Spicey Bourbon Sause, its comparable to the Jack Daniels sauce.
Lets give it a try, you cook the ribs and we bring the sauce.

Our usual recipe : the ribs are cooked in boiling water with the necessary vegetable stock, then in the mean time you make a salsa of ketchup, honey, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper and if you really like it spicey some fresh chili's.
After cooking the ribs, throw them warm in a plastic bag with half of the salsa, let them marinate for a couple of hours, put them on an oven tray together with the marinade and put them in the oven for about half an hour covered with alu foil. After half an hour take them out, put the rest of the salsa on them and put them under the grill for about 10 minutes.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm learning the art of brining. I've had some chicken legs marinating in a brine/apple juice solution for 4 hours. They'll get plopped on the grill in a while.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What is "brining"?

Eather way, sounds delicious ;)
Immersing meat in semi-salty water for a lengthy time. It adds flavor and tenderness but MUSTY be done correctly or you end with salty meat.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Ok, thats risky business indeed, in Europe they do it in a bed of salt and I ate it a few times, meat and fish, very tender meat, not salty at all IF its done correctly.

Aug 21, 2007
In my opinion, par boiling, cooking the meat in water prior to grilling, cooks all the flavor out of the meat. You are better to put it in the oven well-seasoned for an hour and a half at 275- 300 degrees fahrenheit. Then you have the flavor and tenderness. After that, throw it on the grill with your favorite spices and seasoning and sauce.

Brining is also wonderful. Takes a bit more time, though.

Lindsey

P.S Where is Mike, the official dr1 master cook?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Snake Man
I hope you wash your hands after flushing your tranny before you hit the grill !!

Ain't it funny, we grill "Big Time".
Fools seldom differ or great minds think alike.... take your pick

You need this book which was suggested to me by Lindsay Kaufman here on DR1... not cheap, but Amazon might work

Serious Barbeque by Adam Scott...... everything you need to know about brining and so on...... laborious preparation, but what else are you doing?

Really good, recipes.......the OP's comment about boiling first make sense in No America (we do it), but if the ribs aren't too fatty, you can mess up.

Try the book..... of course it is more than 1 lb so the shipping will kill you

Chef WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
BTW Sloppy thinking here

The beer can chicken recipe... if properly followed... it outstanding.

Even with the scrawny DR pollo's

DO NOT SKIMP on the details

Chef Webby

Reactions: Tamborista

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I am by no means the chef of the family but I will attempt to describe how my wife prepares her delicious ribs.
Step One - Pour 1.5 liters of Coca Cola or Pepsi into a deep dish pan.
Step Two - Insert ribs into the deep dish
Step Three - Slow cook for 2-3 hours
Step Four - Baste with your favorite sauce
Step Five - Broil
Step Six - Pour a glass of your favorite red and enjoy :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
It is that time of the night ya' know miamol!

Ok Ok,

First of all never boil your ribs or any other meat for that matter.

The mairinate and wrap in foil method is the only way to go as you bake on low heat and you end up steaming the lovely riblets in it's own flavours and juices and finish on the grill.

Tip:

Always remove the underside protective skin that protects the ribs from all of the inards.

Use a small sharp knife and run it along the bone to get a starting point to remove this. I always use napkins to get a grasp of this and if you do it right you can pull this off in one piece in less than 60 seconds.....

Just as fast as stealing something in the Dominican!

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Ted Reader also has excellent recipes for bbq'ing. He calls himself 'king of the q'. I would have to agree that boiling the ribs takes away the flavor. I braise mine....season with Ted Readers 'bone dust' then put in roaster with 2 cups apple juice...cover with sliced lemons and bake on 300 for 2 hours. The bbq for a few minutes with your favorite sauce (Ted also has great recipes for homemade bbq sauce). Excellent!