Haitian Government cedes sovereignty

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yup,
looking a bit grim again over here.

Many people are of the opinion that Preval wants to hold onto power.

The parliament has been largely disbanded and Preval is ruling by decree.
He is saying that elections are planned for November but they are doing little about registering people who are largely living in tents away from their homes.
The electoral board have taken over the old Gold's Gym (previously confiscated as part of a drug investigation) and you can no longer drive down that particular street.

People have lost what little faith they had in the system after the most popular party was prevented en mass from participating in last year's elections.

The UN and Canadian representatives declared that particular election fair and open with only a 5% turnout.

After Brazil win or lose the world cup, rumor has it, there will be 4 days of manifestation. That means rock throwing, rioting and general disorder. More businesses will be closed, more damage done, some people will probably die and I will have to hole up in the apartment for a few days wondering whether my diesel and water will last.

Hilariously, 'Tete Kole' - a mish mash of anti Preval idealists comprising of previously diametrically opposed political factions - Fanmi Lavalas, Group of 184 affiliates and the so called 'peasant' movement - are calling for Preval to resign right now, 6 months before his term ends.
They also want the (admittedly un-constitutional occupying force) UN to leave immediately as well.
So who, I ask, would they suggest is even remotely qualified to attempt to keep relative order in Haiti should they get their wish?

For me, the whole bloody lot of them are "comedians" and they should all have their ****ing stupid heads banged together.
They think nothing of regular folk who are just trying to get on with life and do something positive.
That is what folk do - they build stuff. They achieve stuff. They laugh, sing and get drunk, fight, smoke, puke, **** and fart. They argue, they screw, they love they win they lose, they moan about it, they write about it.

Here is a letter I wrote to a friend in England a few weeks ago:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Dear Steve,
as requested -

A few observations on some current Haitian politics:
Tete Kole wants Preval to stand down immediately, 6 months before the scheduled end of his presidential term.
They accuse Preval of trying to extend his term and want the CEP to announce elections, as scheduled, for November 2010.
The CEP has indeed called elections for November 2010 but Tete Kole still wants Preval to resign immediately.
Tete Kole is calling for Aristide to return yet they consists not only of Lavalas based groups but also many of the very 2004 coup supporters that helped have Aristide removed. However unrealistic their collective wishes may be, this is a marriage of pure convenience that must end in acrimonious, socially debilitating, bloody and expensive divorce as soon as Preval does hand over power.
The CEP did not let the Lavalas groups field candidates in the April 2009 elections due to a technicality yet Fanmi Lavalas and associated groups represent the majority view amongst Haitians, especially in Port au Prince.
The turnout of the April 2009 election was less than 5%. The most popular candidates were not allowed to stand resulting in the vast majority of the electorate being physically intimidated into not voting or having no sympathetic representative to vote for.
The Canadians and MINUSTAH who were observing declared the April 2009 elections fair and the CEP competent, in spite of the less than 5% turnout.
Tete Kole wants MINUSTAH to leave Haiti immediately as they are an unconstitutional occupying force.
A few Conclusions and questions :
This situation is ridiculous ? there is no relevant or remotely contemporary ideological context around Haitian politics; just short term positioning in a violently chaotic and cynical political environment. There are no good guys as distinct from bad guys. It may be their constitutional right to be idiots but please can these childish arrogant, fickle fools keep their irrelevant squabbles to themselves so that we can get on with doing business, improving our lives, making progress and maybe even having some fun doing it?

Why do we have to attempt this in spite of professional politicians and not with their assistance? Even ambivalence would be a relief.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Sorry Mountainannie, but I am losing patience with these clowns...

Somebody has to take charge here and for me it does not really matter who steals the money as long as they do it quickly - and let us not forget that money has been pledged - not actually donated - that is very different.

I know Americans who are here having invested tens of millions of dollars in the hope of picking up contracts. No contracts have been awarded and nothing is being done. Soon they will lose patience and their skills and expertise will be lost to Haiti.

Admittedly, sometimes I think that at this stage the wait may be no bad thing, especially in my more ideological moments.
People should have to wait for mechanisms to be put in place so that corruption is reduced and transparency increased
But this means the natives are getting restless.
Now I do not like it when a lot of non-Haitian start talking about "what Haiti needs" as we are not qualified to say - but please can we just have the least violent people in power? As long as there is relative calm then at least the non-NGOs and the for-profit guys and the entrepreneurs can keep on employing people, paying them a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. After all it is these guys - not the happy clappers and the government institutions that actually build stuff in Haiti.

This last shower seem, at least, to be relatively peaceful. We haven't had anything scary happen since April 2008.

As I said to my buddy in England - there are no good guys or bad guys here.
There are no discernible sides to take - so I don't.

It just pxsses me off that people are being prevented from doing anything because of all the pseudo political nonsense.

Rant over!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think it is apparent the guardians of the old regime, ie opposing anything to do with foreign/Western influence, is feeling their days are numbered and are obviously scrambling to prevent that.

That being said I believe they will fail. I base this on the fact that the international community is not leaving anytime soon. At least as far as the US government goes, they are already submitting RFP's for work. The great thing is since they are doing this via the open bid process this will prevent abuse to a large degree. In fact I'm currently working with a large Dominican firm on a bid and si Dios quiera I could return to the home of my ancestor(s) during the course of the year to do the project.

As the US gov't has promised almost 10 billion I expect to see more stringent requirements in future for the inclusion of Haitian professionals. As it is now, a branch of the US gov't already has set up camp in Haiti and has at least one professional Haitian (and no doubt American) contract officer for the aforementioned project.

This is the real hope of Haiti. Build infrastructure and entice the professionals abroad to come back and be part of the building process and stay afterwords.

E

engineerfg

Wow! I wish we would hear more of this in the mainstream media! I have a friend at the Guardian in the UK, would you be interested in talking to them??

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thanks for the update, Pedro. I have been off the Haiti watch for the last month or so and have spared myself the rumblings of Lavalas.. who will certainly NOT be allowed to come back into power for a long long long long time......... More likely the Duvalieristes!!!

What is really happening though is that Bill Clinton is the titular head of state since the Clinton-Bush Fund is one of the primary holders of funds, Bill is the UN Special Envoy, his wife is Secretary of State, and while Preval has veto power for the next 18 months.. he will not dare use it. After all, Clinton was always hailed as America's first African American President..... and many Haitians have longed for a full American occupation... at least a temporary one.

One thing that I did hear.. which is very positive.. is that the Clinton Bush fund.. along with the Clinton Foundation.. is NOT going to give out funding until there are micro finance funding projects.. BUSINESS PROJECTS .. that are going to make the country SELF SUSTAINING.. The head of the Clinton Foundation here.. a new head who was brought in recently and had to fire all the staff.. who were building an alternate medical system... said that they ONLY give money to projects which will be standing on their own inside of three years.

Clinton is challenging the NGO gravy boat.. which IMHO is a GREAT thing for HAITI...
'He has said "Are we really serious about putting ourselves out of business?"

He has acknowledged that agriculture and food sufficiency must come first... He regrets the importation of all that subsidized US rice that destroyed the HAitian rice industry

And, of course, he is not alone but is acting with the governments of Canada, Britian; France and the DR.. which, I believe are the major donors,. and, of course with the force of the UN.

I am sure that there will be outcries and riots and all sorts of screaming from Haitians both in Haiti and abroad when it really sinks in what has happened.

But EVERYONE can agree that the political class in Haiti has been completely corrupt and irresponsible... doing nothing for their people while they line their own pockets.

Do the interview with the Guardian, Pedro, we need more PRESS

And they do not pay me enough to go over there!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The Guardian!
Hmmmm...
That is more your department Mountain Annie.
You are a journalist I am most definitely not, although one day I would love to be able to write like you.

I am just a name on a forum and do not have the guts (suicidal instinct) to speak out and use my own name.
Plus this is not newsworthy until the projected riots start in a couple of weeks - then it will be all about those silly Haitians getting all uppity again and we should have some very engaging pictures of poor people throwing rocks - that is great television - discussing the reasons for it happening is not.

Also Chip.
I read that the USA government has a bill stalled in parliament (congress or senate?) at the moment to donate 2.5billion. The 9.5 Billion is from all parties concerned. And like I say less than a fraction of one percent has actually been given.
The Americans are wanting greater transparency and less corruption before they let the bill pass and the money released. And who can blame them???
Good on them!!!!

But like I say it just pxsses me off that we will have to sit and watch another unnecessary riot destroy jobs, businesses and more importantly, confidence in
investing in Haiti.

Bloody pointless!!!!

As you can probably tell it has been a hot, frustrating day and the air conditioning is on the blink.
And will these people ever learn to drive?
AAARRGGGGHH!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Also Chip.
I read that the USA government has a bill stalled in parliament (congress or senate?) at the moment to donate 2.5billion. The 9.5 Billion is from all parties concerned. And like I say less than a fraction of one percent has actually been given.
The Americans are wanting greater transparency and less corruption before they let the bill pass and the money released. And who can blame them???
Good on them!!!!

Thanks for the correction as far as the US total contribution.

As far as the US contributions to Haiti's rebuilding is concerned money already has been released. We are currently bidding on a project that already has been designed and the contract will be awarded soon.

As far as the "fraction of one percent" goes from the American contribution, the article I read does not substantiate that:

The United States Government's Haiti Earthquake Response | The White House

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The fraction of one percent is from the commitments made from all donor countries, collectively.

You might find this interesting (or very boring like I did.)

<o></o>
IHRC - Progress
<o></o>

The mandate of the IHRC is to conduct strategic planning and coordination and implement resources from bilateral and multilateral donors, civil society organizations, and the business sector, with all necessary transparency and accountability.
<o></o>
The IHRC will take a multifaceted approach to strategic planning and coordination and will pro-actively convene stakeholders to communicate priorities for the activities of donors, civil society organizations and the private sector.
<o></o>
As part of this multifaceted approach, the IHRC will manage (i) a project review and approval process and (ii) a single information system to monitor and analyze all activities that contribute to Haiti?s long term recovery. These processes will enable the IHRC to make strategic and informed decisions on Haiti?s long-term recovery.
<o></o>
Projects that must be submitted to and addressed by the IHRC are activities by any person or entity related to the post-earthquake recovery or associated development needs of Haiti, that involves any pledge or donation, or the pledge or grant of debt relief, by any Donor, Haitian NGO, or International NGO, as well as activities that involve the expenditure of Private Funding relating to a matter of National Significance (list will be available online).
<o></o>
The webpage provides details on two forms that must be submitted to the IHRC to provide information on existing and future planned projects. The forms are explained in detail below. If you have any questions about the forms, please do not hesitate to send an e-mail to: projects@cirh.ht. In the coming weeks, these forms will be available for direct online submission through an interactive form.
<o></o>
EXISTING PROJECT FORM
<o></o>
If you are a donor or civil society organization (CSO) and your project has already received IHRC approval and/or has already started as of 17 June 2010, please complete the Existing Project Form. This form is for information and monitoring purposes only.

<o></o>
Completion of this form assists in the recovery of Haiti by:
<o></o>
1) Allowing the IHRC to develop a comprehensive information system of all existing donor and CSO activities in order to refine the Action Plan for National Recovery and Development and identify priorities; 2) Helping the IHRC coordinate recovery by understanding current activities in order to ensure future projects do not duplicate work; and 3) Enabling the IHRC to monitor the fulfillment of pledges made at the International Donors? Conference Towards a New Future for Haiti held on 31 March 2010.
<o></o>
Download document
http://www.cirh.ht/downloads/IHRC_Existing_Project_Form.doc
<o></o>
Note: the IHRC will consider that a project has started if project funds have been committed (e.g., obligated to a contract) or disbursed. If you have already submitted your project to the Plateforme Ha?tienne d?Investissement Public (PHIP), you do not need to complete this form.
<o></o>
NEW PROJECT CONCEPT NOTE
<o></o>
If you are a donor, civil society organization (CSO), or certain private sector actors and your project has not received IHRC approval and/or has not started by 17 June 2010, please complete the New Project Concept Note for IHRC review and approval. IHRC approval will indicate endorsement of the Government of Haiti.
<o></o>
Completion of this document assists in the recovery of Haiti by:
<o></o>
1) Providing sufficient detail by project for effective coordination to ensure that the project aligns with government plans and is not duplicative;
2) Allowing the IHRC to ensure that minimum standards are met in the design and implementation of a project? for example, to ensure that building standards are met and sufficient anti-corruption mechanisms are in place; and
3) Enabling the IHRC to monitor the fulfillment of pledges made at the International Donors? Conference Towards a New Future for Haiti held on 31 March 2010.
<o></o>
The New Project Concept Note should be completed by donors and civil society organizations according to the following criteria. If you are a:
<o></o>
a) Bilateral, multi-lateral or philanthropic donor: If the project has any funding at all from your organization, please fill out the New Project Concept Note.
<o></o>
b) Civil society organization (e.g., Haitian CSO, International CSO): If the project is partially or self-funded by your organization without any funding by a bilateral or multilateral, please fill out the New Project Concept Note.
<o></o>
c) Private businesses and individuals: If the project is privately funded by any person or entity without any funding by a bilateral, multilateral or civil society organization and (a) is both reasonably expected to exceed $500,000 and seeking IHRC assistance, or (b) is of National Significance, please fill out the New Project Concept Note. (a list of projects deemed of National Significance will be available online). The Government of Haiti is currently identifying priority projects will be considered of National Significance.
<o></o>
The IHRC is not funding projects at this time.

<o></o>
Download New Project Concept Note
http://www.cirh.ht/downloads/IHRC_New_Project_Concept_Note.doc
<o></o>
Download Implementing Agency Questionnaire http://www.cirh.ht/downloads/Implementing_Agency_DD_Questionnaire_En.doc

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Oh and in my fury I forgot to mention that I have a lot of time for Preval.
A cool headed individual who is the only guy ever to turn over power willingly, on time, peacefully and in good order.

Now, many may say that he turned his back on his people once he was elected. Others will say that he embraced the opposition in order to have a peaceful environment in which to progress.

I am not sure what I think about that but he is certainly much less hysterical and blood thirsty than those who came before....

E

engineerfg

Pedro it's clear that you're frustrated. Thanks very much for posting this stuff here. With this deadlock, I wonder if anyone will eventually move the ball past the goal posts?

I think the biggest 'news' here (at least for me) is that the most populist party was banned from the election, and only 5% came out to vote - and the Canadians said 'thumbs up' to the election.

Which leads to my next question -- is the money being pledged by foreign states, 'aid' or is it 'loans'? How is it being recognized? Anybody know?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You are right, Pedro, that once the rioting starts the media will pick up the story.. but perhaps.. just perhaps.. there will not be much rioting..

Lavalas is the party of Aristide who is in South Aftica. It is the "liberation theology" preferential treatment for the poor that is so popular in Haiti.. that got him elected the first time, then restored to power with the force of US troops.. then ousted again...

Many of Arisitide's cabinet are now in jail in the States for drug dealing..

Certainly there was llittle support for any of the other candidates who ran.

You might surmise that JBA is still the most popular leader .. and might indeed win an election .. to fill out the term that was taken by coup.

that would certainly be a giant step backwards for the nation since it is impossible to divide up the non wealth of a poor country....

The international community (US, Canada,France, GB primarily) who have been the primary donor supporting Haiti have simply tried to keep some sort of functioning government in place to allow some seeds of progress to germinate. And, indeed. before the Quake, there was some progress under Preval -- who at best is simply a "non offensive" President who tries to bring peace to all factions.

I would not get all twisted up about election results.. it is simply not possible to establish a democracy from the outside.. in a nation coming out of dictatorship with such a low level of education.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Everyone is rightly concerned about where the money is going to go, but with regard to infrastructure projects there is the real potential for little of the funds to be wasted because of corruption as it will be through an open bid process and administered by an outside agency.

The issue I see is how to create a professional cadre of Haitians to manage these works(roads, water and sewer lines, treatment plants) when the construction is finished what with no real working government in sight. Maybe someone will create municipal management districts to be ran and funded by foreign entities in the interim.

The real positive effect of this is that Haitians will be continually exposed to Westerners and their work effort. As there are more and more jobs created and plentiful goods Haitian will be less likely to fall under the spell of propaganda like in the good old days. There's nothing like having your belly full and knowing tomorrow will be the same to remind oneself that today is better than yesterday.

If I had to propose a realistic future for Haiti I would have to say the international community won't be going anywhere for at least ten years. At some point when the Haitians have forgotten what caused the turnaround, what with new roads, drinkable water and trash pickup, new resorts and plentiful markets, expect to see nationalistic feelings once again. Yet the old ways of blaming the foreigners won't work as well so new reasons will have to be invented - more along "sovereign state" reasoning along with the pointing out the inevitable failures/scandals due to foreigners that will arise during the "occupation" for lack of anything else.

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I am not frustrated at the election fiasco in itself - only that it gives rise to disorder and throws Haiti backwards - and worst of all stops people from coming and investing their cash.

Today I am by a beach in the D.R. with the family and all is again right with the world - well apart from England losing against Germany.

And I agree with MountainAnnie. Preval was a non-offensive president.
a giant leap forward for Haiti.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Which leads to my next question -- is the money being pledged by foreign states, 'aid' or is it 'loans'? How is it being recognized? Anybody know?

The pledge money is being administered by the World Bank under the direction of the IHRC - Home "committee" headed by Clinton and Prime Minister Bellerive.

If you read the plan for economic recovery from both the government and the business community which is posted there, you will see that this is a master plan for the redevelopment of a nation (and really, the US does not have such a great track record on this one!) which will extend far beyond the 18 month mandate of this "Commission."

The one thing that is clear is that it is an attempt to stop the hodge podge sort of development that has gone on in Haiti for years under the "government by NGOs" where anyone could just do anything --- a well here, a well there. All projects which are started after June have to have the approval of the Commission.

Note that all 5 of their executive posts are still open...... so it is going to be a long haul.