Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting a camera purchased from the USA shipped to STI.

I'm trying to buy a cheap point and shoot camera and have it sent by the company I bought it from to Santiago by UPS, etc. However everything I can find says it is restricted to shipping in the USA. Or the online ordering tells me it will not work when I enter DR as a country in the shipping address form.
    I have the full correct address I want to send the camera to.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman33 View Post
    I'm trying to buy a cheap point and shoot camera and have it sent by the company I bought it from to Santiago by UPS, etc. However everything I can find says it is restricted to shipping in the USA. Or the online ordering tells me it will not work when I enter DR as a country in the shipping address form.
    Some online sites won't accept foreing orders.

Get an EPS or similar shipping address. My EPS address is Miami. Nobody has problems shipping there, but some won't accept a purchase out of the country.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman33 View Post
    get a dominican mail company,I use Business mail,and have for several years....but there are many...you get a miami address,all your mail and packages go there,and then here...

also,some us internet stores will not let you order if you are ordering online from the DR...such as egghead,and a few others....so I have a VPN called hidemyass,that gets you on a US server,so the online store sees you as ordering from US.
    bob

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use EPS. It is like Business Mail, but a different company. I buy lots of stuff in the US and have it shipped to the Miami address that EPS gave me. Consequently the question of shipping outside the US never even comes up because they are shipping to a US address.

Once in a great while I have a problem, but not because what I am ordering will end up in the DR. A few vendors have a policy of not shipping to an address different than the credit card address. But I only run into that once every year or two and just find another vendor selling the same product.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not making the order from the DR, I am in the USA..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So ship it to yourself in the USA first. Then physically walk into UPS, FedEx, or DHL and manually send your package to the DR. They all have locations in the DR and will ship it no problem. I've received many many MANY packages at my home in Santo Domingo from both DHL and UPS couriers.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genistar View Post
    So ship it to yourself in the USA first. Then physically walk into UPS, FedEx, or DHL and manually send your package to the DR. They all have locations in the DR and will ship it no problem. I've received many many MANY packages at my home in Santo Domingo from both DHL and UPS couriers.
    Can't do that if you live here. And UPS/FedEx/DHL are very expensive compared to services like EPS.s ve

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I could ship it myself after getting it at my address but that would cost me probably $100 and I know nothing about the customs procedures either.
    FYI, DHL no longer operates in the USA.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The simplest way, if you don't want to use one of the mail forwarding services, if to find someone to hand carry it to the DR for you. Shipping UPS or Fedex is expensive and can cause Customs hassles.

If the camera costs less than $200 US, and there is an invoice for its cost packed with it, going EPS, Business Mail, Transexpress (mail forwarding) will eliminate Customs problems.

Post Thanks / Like

A question: If you are in the US and your camera supplier is in the US, Who do you want to send a camera to? That makes a whole lot of difference.

HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast