Getting a camera purchased from the USA shipped to STI.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I'm trying to buy a cheap point and shoot camera and have it sent by the company I bought it from to Santiago by UPS, etc. However everything I can find says it is restricted to shipping in the USA. Or the online ordering tells me it will not work when I enter DR as a country in the shipping address form.
I have the full correct address I want to send the camera to.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm trying to buy a cheap point and shoot camera and have it sent by the company I bought it from to Santiago by UPS, etc. However everything I can find says it is restricted to shipping in the USA. Or the online ordering tells me it will not work when I enter DR as a country in the shipping address form.
Some online sites won't accept foreing orders.

Get an EPS or similar shipping address. My EPS address is Miami. Nobody has problems shipping there, but some won't accept a purchase out of the country.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

get a dominican mail company,I use Business mail,and have for several years....but there are many...you get a miami address,all your mail and packages go there,and then here...

also,some us internet stores will not let you order if you are ordering online from the DR...such as egghead,and a few others....so I have a VPN called hidemyass,that gets you on a US server,so the online store sees you as ordering from US.
bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I use EPS. It is like Business Mail, but a different company. I buy lots of stuff in the US and have it shipped to the Miami address that EPS gave me. Consequently the question of shipping outside the US never even comes up because they are shipping to a US address.

Once in a great while I have a problem, but not because what I am ordering will end up in the DR. A few vendors have a policy of not shipping to an address different than the credit card address. But I only run into that once every year or two and just find another vendor selling the same product.

Reactions: cobraboy

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
So ship it to yourself in the USA first. Then physically walk into UPS, FedEx, or DHL and manually send your package to the DR. They all have locations in the DR and will ship it no problem. I've received many many MANY packages at my home in Santo Domingo from both DHL and UPS couriers.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So ship it to yourself in the USA first. Then physically walk into UPS, FedEx, or DHL and manually send your package to the DR. They all have locations in the DR and will ship it no problem. I've received many many MANY packages at my home in Santo Domingo from both DHL and UPS couriers.
Can't do that if you live here. And UPS/FedEx/DHL are very expensive compared to services like EPS.s ve

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I could ship it myself after getting it at my address but that would cost me probably $100 and I know nothing about the customs procedures either.
FYI, DHL no longer operates in the USA.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The simplest way, if you don't want to use one of the mail forwarding services, if to find someone to hand carry it to the DR for you. Shipping UPS or Fedex is expensive and can cause Customs hassles.

If the camera costs less than $200 US, and there is an invoice for its cost packed with it, going EPS, Business Mail, Transexpress (mail forwarding) will eliminate Customs problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A question: If you are in the US and your camera supplier is in the US, Who do you want to send a camera to? That makes a whole lot of difference.

HB

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
It certainly will be under $200. I'm trying to send it to a woman I met thru that latinasinlove.com site since they don't have a camera. It's hard to take good pictures with an Orange phone, I've tried. I'm independently wealthy due to an inheritance but she does not know this. I have drawn the line at some things like paying for her law school at UTESA. I've refused to tell her where the money I was spending when I was with her (for my hotel etc) was coming from. I told her that just because I am willing to spend money does not mean that I am not cheap.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Trainman is heading for a wreck...this is silly. It's his money but this chick is a sankyette if I ever saw one...

HB

randymartinez

Jun 28, 2010
Don't fall for that men!!!!...
She going to sell the camera and go to motel with another dude..LOL, but if you want to send it any way.

there's a couple of company that will take door to door under 100.