Namebrand Counterfeit gymshoes in the D.R.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
After wearing out three pairs of gym shoes that I had brought from the states, I decided to spend the afternoon looking for brand name replacements such as Nike, Adidas, New Balance, well you get the drift. Went to the downtown area of Santiago and I had to go to at least 6 different shoe stores with no luck. Are all the name brands here counterfeits? The quality was so laughable with even more laughable pricing. 3 and 4 Mil for the worst garbage money could by.They were all marked inside the shoes as either being made in China or Vietnam.
Now I do realize that these brand name shoes are made in several different countries around the world, but this stuff couldn't have been originals, they were total craP, with a capital P.
Now, On a street corner there was a vendor selling no-name gym shoes that were made here in the D.R. and of excellent quality for 550 DP.
I bought one pair just to see how they hold up after some wear and tear.
Now the question....Does anyone know of a shoe store in Santiago that sells the real deal?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
but there are expensive right? I saw a pair of nike cross training shoes in Plaza International for like 4700 pesos. On the 2nd Floor next to the arcade.

And I think they have an Adidas store on the 1st floor way at the end of the mall. I dont know if I d trust sneakers that were 550pesos. Not for running or basketball. Reminds me of when I was younger and these guys were playing basketball on the outside court at my old high school. They picked this Chinese guy as an add on for 4 on 4. He had these knock-off Adidas Shelltoe shoes, that had 4 stripes on them vs. the trademark 3 stripe original. So he takes a fast break left to get the ball and the sole comes flying off his shoe and he standing there looking like his shoes are singing Italian opera and his foot is the tongue. Needless to say he got laughed at. And since these people are so self conscious here I think they d be too ashamed not to wear name brand shoes. Even if they only had 200 pesos to their name.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's a big problem here, massive amount of counterfeit sports shoes in the market.

In Santo Domingo you need to buy in the actual brand stores to guarantee they are genuine.

We have Adidas, Umbro and Puma stores here, I'm sure more will be on the way.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It's a big problem here, massive amount of counterfeit sports shoes in the market.

In Santo Domingo you need to buy in the actual brand stores to guarantee they are genuine.

We have Adidas, Umbro and Puma stores here, I'm sure more will be on the way.

When I go to the capital, I always take the Metro. Right across the street there is a multi floored shopping center. Are there any factory outlets there that you know of? Also I go to Plaza Llama, would they sell originals?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I ended up buying mine on-line and they were still cheaper than buying them here even with the shipping of usd18

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I ended up buying mine on-line and they were still cheaper than buying them here even with the shipping of usd18

Funny you mention that, I use ebay quite a bit and was just thinking of purchasing there. And ebays policy is that if anyone gets caught selling counterfeits, they get kicked off. So anyone selling a product with a long and positive feedback history should be pretty safe. But, you just can't see them up close and personnel before the purchase, and shipping would be rather inexpensive.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am with JR on this. "Import them yourself". Is it not amazing that you can import one item like a pair of sneakers yourself less expensively than for what you can purchase it here?

Using TransExpress you would probably have them in a week at the lowest shipping cost.

just purchased a pair of Scetchers shape ups,from US,got them in about 7 or 8 days....cant find them here yet..shipping was about 500 pesos...
bob
by the way,after walking in these for a couple of weeks,I cannot walk in my other Reboks...the sketchers are so comfortable...
bob

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You have to go to the nicer stores in the malls here to get the real deal and they are never cheap.

It's best to get them when you go back home on a trip if possible.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You have to go to the nicer stores in the malls here to get the real deal and they are never cheap.

It's best to get them when you go back home on a trip if possible.

True, or order through the Internet.