Laptop keyboard died

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
OK so my laptop (craptop) keyboard seems to have died. The mouse feature and computer work...so I can open programs, DVDs etc, but can't email...is it possible the humidity and recent rains have done a temporary "short" or am I toast with this machine?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In addition to the info in the post Lambada highlighted you can just load the on-screen keybord and use mouse to type!! Takes a bit of getting used to but it works in emergencies.

Matilda

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you could try using a plug in keyboard...if thats not a silly answer, my laptop has no screen, so its plugged into a monitor lol

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
OK so my laptop (craptop) keyboard seems to have died. The mouse feature and computer work...so I can open programs, DVDs etc, but can't email...is it possible the humidity and recent rains have done a temporary "short" or am I toast with this machine?

buy a 300 peso keyboard and plug it in to a USB plug....away you go

bob

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
laptop keyboards are $20 (in the USA) and easy to replace.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Thank you all! I was not drinking and surfing, yep I thought about buying a plug USB keyboard, never heards of the on-screen job but sounds cool....is there anyone in Sto Dgo that sells laptop keyboards? I figure it's a matter of popping off the top and removing a few screws and a plug in...

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Thank you all! I was not drinking and surfing, yep I thought about buying a plug USB keyboard, never heards of the on-screen job but sounds cool....is there anyone in Sto Dgo that sells laptop keyboards? I figure it's a matter of popping off the top and removing a few screws and a plug in...

Py,
It depends on the make and model because the market is somewhat limited, and most places don't carry parts for anything outside the HP, Dell, Toshiba, Acer models that are the bulk of the laptops available here. Cecomsa on Romulo Betancourt between Churchill and Nunez may have what you're looking for. If they do, they'll fit it for you, but perhaps not while you wait.

If it's anything more "exotic" than that, your best bet would be to buy on line and have it Fedexed to you here. As explained in the other thread, on most laptops it's fairly simple to pop out the keyboard and replace it as long as you use logic and not brute force.
Bryan

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Py,
It depends on the make and model because the market is somewhat limited, and most places don't carry parts for anything outside the HP, Dell, Toshiba, Acer models that are the bulk of the laptops available here. Cecomsa on Romulo Betancourt between Churchill and Nunez may have what you're looking for. If they do, they'll fit it for you, but perhaps not while you wait.

If it's anything more "exotic" than that, your best bet would be to buy on line and have it Fedexed to you here. As explained in the other thread, on most laptops it's fairly simple to pop out the keyboard and replace it as long as you use logic and not brute force.
Bryan

Its always good to know people that come and go to the states/canada just for these times when you need a special part. If your willing to pick it up in Santiago I can bring a keyboard for you next month. Find the part on e bay or where ever and send me the link.