Robinson Cano - potential MVP?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With all this talk about the "world cup" matches (which I find extremely boring and yes I tried to watch some of it but 5 minutes is all I could take.) I thought I would mention the game of baseball and a Dominican player.

Have a look at what Robinson Cano is doing this year. He has typically been a 2nd half of the season player. This year he is already looking like the potential MVP, a batting title winner and a gold glove winner at second base as well. Last night he hit a 2 run home run in the 10th inning that capped off a Yankees come back win over the Dodgers.

Announcers have long been saying that if he could just put together a good first half of the season, he could run away with a batting title. This could be that year.

Robinson Cano Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Go Yankees.

beejay

May 3, 2010
baseball in the uk is called rounders, and is played by women. if it is that good why is it not a world wide sport

May 12, 2005
Ubaldo Jimenez ? (BTW, this forum is for baseball lovers; probably no euros, sorry.)

He is having a lights out year, he is certainly the front runner for the NL Cy Young. It is very rare for a pitcher to win both MVP and Cy Young. Cano plays in the AL, and given the drop off in production of both Texiera and ARod this year, Cano is certainly the front runner for AL MVP.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will call it soccer, you can call it football.

baseball in the uk is called rounders, and is played by women. if it is that good why is it not a world wide sport

By the way. I learned a lot about soccer, THE WORLD WIDE SPORT, this week other than it is still very boring.
- Everyone tries to cheat as much as they can in soccer since they get away with it frequently.
- The referees in the game are absolutely horrible. If the world cup refs are that bad I can only imagine how poor the refs in regional games are.
- The fans are extremely prejudiced and I mean in a racial way.

Go Yankees!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
To each his/her own.

By the way. I learned a lot about soccer, THE WORLD WIDE SPORT, this week other than it is still very boring.
- Everyone tries to cheat as much as they can in soccer since they get away with it frequently.
...as opposed to what other sport?

A year ago you could have offered "golf" as your response, but Tiger took care of that debate.

- The referees in the game are absolutely horrible. If the world cup refs are that bad I can only imagine how poor the refs in regional games are.
Speaking as a USA supporter, I have a few blatant examples to agree with you.

However, as a spectator (and as on on-court basketball official) watching on slow-motion HD TV with 4 or more camera angles, our Lazy Boy view of the plays are VERY different than that of officials trying to keep up with highly skilled, world-class athletes moving at very high speeds (you - probably - can barely run to the refrigerator without tripping over your own hoofs).

Just look at the goal that Ghana scored against the US to win on Saturday. At full speed, the forward got drilled from behind, and was still able to withstand that and launch an amazing kick into the goal. If that's 'boring' to you, I really don't know what else to say. That was AMAZING!

That one play alone might be the most athletic thing I've ever witnessed.

- The fans are extremely prejudiced and I mean in a racial way.
That's why they call them 'fanaticos'. "Prejudiced" may be how you look at things in general.

Go Yankees!
Oh... now I get it.

As for Cano, I'm agreeable, he's solid.

However, unless he carries the MFY's to the playoffs on his shoulders alone, and gets more notoriety through his performance, I doubt he wins MVP. That's a popularity contest, and you have to be REALLY popular to win that award (most especially on the MFY's). Maybe next year, especially if he keeps up his torrid season.

That being said, no one else seems poised to run away with the award, so I guess he's as possible as anyone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nationalism versus Racism

Cleef, what I meant about prejudiced is that soccer teams have even been forced to play games without fans present because the fans were so blatantly racially prejudiced that it was deemed unsafe for them to play with the fans present. It is not nationalism for the fans to call the black players monkeys, it is ignorance.

I have no idea about golf since it also holds no interest for me.
There is no question that there are great athletes in soccer. No dispute on that.

BBC News - Racism still rife in Italian football

YouTube - Beautiful Game Turned Ugly: Racism in Europe's Soccer Arenas

I agree to each his or her own. Soccer is just way too boring for me.

Go Yankees (and let the Red Sucks drop to the bottom, although I know they have a good team). Hopefully Cano can keep up the pace and win that popularity contest. If the Yankees win again I would bet Cano is the MVP.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Cleef, what I meant about prejudiced is that soccer teams have even been forced to play games without fans present because the fans were so blatantly racially prejudiced that it was deemed unsafe for them to play with the fans present. It is not nationalism for the fans to call the black players monkeys, it is ignorance.

BBC News - Racism still rife in Italian football

YouTube - Beautiful Game Turned Ugly: Racism in Europe's Soccer Arenas
Didn't know anything about this. I'll catch up.