Best conversion rates at ATM's - US$ to DOP$

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
Hi folks,

Thanks for being such a great resource. I need to withdraw some money from my US bank account via the ATM. I will follow up with a wire transfer, but I need to open an account and the process takes some time. Do you happen to know which bank's ATM has the best exchange rate? I usually use BHD's in Cabarete, which last year had a decent rate, but I'm not sure as to whether that's the best one. Also, is there a better alternative to withdraw cash from my checking account in the US than using the ATM?

Thanks again,

Cris

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm not sure on this but isn't it your bank's exchange rate that governs it?

MC/Visa International uses the the rate from OANDA or Reuters and adds a 3% fee. The rate is not determined by the individual banks. Since banks get an "institutional rate", you still a favourable rate after the MC/Visa fee.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OANDA has three Forex rates: Min, Avg and Max. Do you know which one they use?

Currency Converter | OANDA

The FOREX market is not a centralized marketplace with one exchange and one marketmaker, therefore the "Average" rate is given.

MC/Visa international use the Interbank rate off of BLOOMBERG, however OANDA's Average rate is generally an accurate representation of the rate you will receive using an ATM with a MC or Visa emblem.

I have disputed ATM currency conversion rates in the past and my bank referred me to OANDA for a price quote.

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
Many thanks for all the replies. Your observations are very interesting since I compared banco popular's ATM rates to oanda's given rate and there's a spread of almost $1 DOP. It's still good to know that rates don't vary considerably.

Regards,

Cris