Honestey Is The Best Policy...leaving DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have read several threads about the departure tax and there are ways around this... when I hopped on the plane last weekend I came clean and paid $17k .

The guy that I said this to was very appreciative.

I was so honest I was upgraded to first class and the hot towells were only the beginning....as Seinfield would say..."more everything"

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Mike,
Uhm, to whom did you give the 17k?
To be given an upgrade, I'm guessing you paid the airline agent when you got your ticket... In which case you didn't pay the tax... you just gave a verrrrry big tip to the counter agent.

Overstay penalty is paid to immigration officials & you're given a receipt. They should have no reason to be thrilled by your payment... Or any ability to upgrade you!

What did you do?!

Reactions: mountainannie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Solmething smells in Denmark!! $17K to get out of the country is totally absurd and only shows that even staying here for a long time you are dumber than an ox.... Especially since there are payment schedules listed here witht he fines for overstaying your tourist visa.

And like CFA says, there is no way to get an upgrade for paying a fine, that is total BS!!

Come clean, you just paid the ticket agent 400 dollars just to get the upgrade....

HB

Reactions: waytogo

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
why does one get real knives and forks in first class- do they think hijackers cant afford the ticket price

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
We left last week and paid 2,500 RD each for my partner and I (14 months overstay) - and 1000RD each for the children (6 months) - These were official prices posted in immigration.

I had residency in 2004 (cost almost $1000 USD each) in the usual newcomer's 'Residency Rip Off' and did not renew after expiry. Whilst these prices stay more or less like this, it's cheaper (and less hassle) to pay the fine each year than to pursue residency all over again and wait hours for the 'big boss's' signature to finalize the application before you're told ''he's gone home - come back tomorrow''.

Please tell me if there's actually an easier way to do it since then.

LOL J.R.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
If Mike has been in the country 5 years + then 17,000 pesos is the correct tax.
I am interested to hear who you paid it to Mike.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If I had a choice, the money would have stayed right in my pocket.
For a 17K saving, I would have straddled the gas tank all the way home.....with a smile.
Honesty is the best policy when doing business with honest people.
Being honest to this thieving administration, I just don't see the point...IMHO

Reactions: J D Sauser

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I had residency in 2004 (cost almost $1000 USD each) in the usual newcomer's 'Residency Rip Off' and did not renew after expiry. Whilst these prices stay more or less like this, it's cheaper (and less hassle) to pay the fine each year than to pursue residency all over again

You might find that you can renew your 2004 residency (if it was permanent) rather than starting from scratch again - certainly worth looking into. And honestly, if something was to go wrong it isn't 'less hassle' not to have residency, particularly if you run a business. It could be quite a precarious situation to be in. There are now ways of checking on the database when you pay your business taxes to DGII - all of the departments are getting more linked than previously. The days of flying under the radar have gone so my advice to anyone living here fulltime for 5 or 6 years would be to get legal. Partly because it's the right thing to do and also because it could be a lot more expensive not to be.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
If I had a choice, the money would have stayed right in my pocket.
For a 17K saving, I would have straddled the gas tank all the way home.....with a smile.
Honesty is the best policy when doing business with honest people.
Being honest to this thieving administration, I just don't see the point...IMHO

Pot and kettle then! Two wrongs don't make a right! IMHO

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
You might find that you can renew your 2004 residency (if it was permanent) rather than starting from scratch again - certainly worth looking into. And honestly, if something was to go wrong it isn't 'less hassle' not to have residency, particularly if you run a business. It could be quite a precarious situation to be in. There are now ways of checking on the database when you pay your business taxes to DGII - all of the departments are getting more linked than previously. The days of flying under the radar have gone so my advice to anyone living here fulltime for 5 or 6 years would be to get legal. Partly because it's the right thing to do and also because it could be a lot more expensive not to be.

It's good advice, I will look into that to see if it's possible. Thanks.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Pot and kettle then! Two wrongs don't make a right! IMHO

You think being honest to thieves does anybody any good but the thieves...
I really don't think you compromise your morals and standards by screwing the ones that screw you....legally. Like I said, honesty is the only way to be when dealing with honest people. I put the government here on the same level as murderers and drug runners.....it has been said a million times on this forum, they are out for themselves and whatever they can get. So, being honest and coughing up 17K when not asked for it.....R U KIDDING ME.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Let me clarify that the upgrade had nothing to do with paying the fine which is cheaper to do than obtaining residency.

I felt that being honest had given me good karma and that's why I received the free upgrade.

I had paid extra for a bulkhead seat which was just a curtain dividing first class and the rest of the plane so I complained about that and the gay flight attendant gave me the first class upgrade for free.

I paid the fine to the immigration guy but could have said I lost my passport and just shown by birth certificate and DL

The sign said if you overstay 3-5 years it's RD 17k so i paid it not wanting problems in the future and felt good about it.

The pepercorn demiglaze on the filet needed more pepper but the raspberry cheescake was nice and light which was great considering all of the free vodka tonics to follow.

PC....on vacation!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
why does one get real knives and forks in first class- do they think hijackers cant afford the ticket price

They arm the 1st class passengers as a last line of defense against the hooligans in coach before the pilots cabin. They've had their genitals bombarded with x-rays and you never know when they'll just snap.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I renewed my residency in Santo Domingo 22 months ago in Santo Domingo. The immigration office is near where I live.

I was in and out in an hour.

Reactions: mike l

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let me clarify that the upgrade had nothing to do with paying the fine which is cheaper to do than obtaining residency.

I dispute the 'cheaper than paying residency' bit particularly if something else happens when it can then get very expensive indeed to be here without residency if one is a resident - see earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.