What if it were you?

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Hey guys saw this yesterday in santiago..........

So i was driving After gasing up(filling up Gas) and there is a police checkpoint right before a light... Now the cops seem to be cool theyre not really stopping anyone, but the driver of the car driving next to which happens to be a Black Suv With Windows Down got pulled over, one of the cops without asking for any papers or such when he approached the suv, yanks the guy out of the car and starts searching him and finds his concealed weapon(looked like a glock) in the guys waistband,plus a mag pouch with two additional magazines. the cop starts yelling @ the guy oh your going to jail Your going to jail (oh usted ta jodio usted va preso usted va preso) so the guy tells the cop: But Why? i have a permit to carry that weapon and i stopped when u asked me to stop? u didnt ask me if had a weapon, neither did u ask me for any licenses. u just reached in and opened my door! (mind you the damn traffic light was red so i was being nosy :) and the cop said that he didnt care that he was going to jail and that was that! luckily a higher rank showed up and asked what was going on and the guy was explaining what had happend and the cop was denying everything stating that the guy didnt stop or didnt show any type of respect! But after seeing the gun license the higher up let the guy go. Now my question to u guys..what would you have done in this situation?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Firstly I would report the problem with the lights being stuck on red for half an hour. Secondly I would carry on with my day and hope for no more light hold ups.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
reality...

Ok, here's how you get out of this situation.

#1. Don't drive with your windows down in the city, or with your door unlocked. The police are as bad as (and more dangerous than) carjackers.

#2. After the initial chitchat, you ask the cop that just pulled you over if he knows who you are or who you're connected with. He'll either say that it doesn't matter or he doesn't care.

#3. You tell him no problem, ask him for his name. You tell him he has a choice to make. He can either let you go or lose his job. Look him dead in the eye when you say this.

#4. Pick up your cell phone and start dialing. He'll ask who you're calling... you tell him it's the Collonel or General or the minister of the armed services. Doesn't really matter as long as it sounds official and you sound serious.

#5. He'll **** his pants and either try to save face by saying he's letting you off with "warning" or he'll ask you for a bribe or he'll appologise profusely. In any case, you're out of there.

He will NOT try to call your bluff. He only makes RD$5000 per month and needs that job to support his wife, 5 girlfriends and 20 children.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
#4. Pick up your cell phone and start dialing. He'll ask who you're calling... you tell him it's the Collonel or General or the minister of the armed services. Doesn't really matter as long as it sounds official and you sound serious.

I forgot to add that you tell him that you're calling the important person to make sure you mention that it's your uncle. Even in you're a gringo, it's plausible.

Ok, here's how you get out of this situation.

#1. Don't drive with your windows down in the city, or with your door unlocked. The police are as bad as (and more dangerous than) carjackers.

#2. After the initial chitchat, you ask the cop that just pulled you over if he knows who you are or who you're connected with. He'll either say that it doesn't matter or he doesn't care.

#3. You tell him no problem, ask him for his name. You tell him he has a choice to make. He can either let you go or lose his job. Look him dead in the eye when you say this.

#5. He'll **** his pants and either try to save face by saying he's letting you off with "warning" or he'll ask you for a bribe or he'll appologise profusely. In any case, you're out of there.

He will NOT try to call your bluff. He only makes RD$5000 per month and needs that job to support his wife, 5 girlfriends and 20 children.

HaHaHa I have done this many times.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I take a more submissive approach which is simply to look them in the eye,,, sometimes shake their hands.... No, sorry,.. no money....

But I did see a difference when my nephew was driving once.. his reaction was just to sort of freeze (this out of the city .. on the road to Jarabacoa) and I think that what some of the cops want to see is the reaction that the people have to being stopped..

I know that the assumption is that all the cops are just stopping folks for bribes but I go on the assumption that there are also a lot of cops who are stopping folks actually looking for contraband......

So another technique is just to be cool and calm and friendly,,,

Of course, this does not apply at night in Santo Domingo when--if I am driving-- I just gun the accelerator!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This shows, cops know who is who in DR. They know exactly who got a gun and who is innocent. Things change little here. I, generally, never get stopped. I have been stopped when the whole road is blocked and everyone was being checked.
here is what you do:
You must keep your composure and keep your head up. When the cop approaches you, he is also a bit apprehensive because he is not sure who you are or whom you know. From the start, I don't let the cop ask me questions, I ask him questions.
I immediately shake his hand first and treat him like a kid "dimelo, como estamos hoy....veo que ustedes estan trabajando duro hoy....que bueno ver la policia esta haciendo su trabajo en este calor...." now he will get a bit off track and will ask me if I have any weapons. I laugh and say "i don't need any weapons, my personality is enough to scare off the tigres, hehehehe" he laughs and lets me go. But in case he asks me to leave the car and wants to check me: I immediately ask for the comandante (person in charge of the unit). They usually point me to the guy and I walk up to him or ask him to come to me. I tell him I am Doctor so and so and I am on my way to home. he shakes my hand and lets me go with a smile.
The trick is the intimidate the cop. he is a kid and he will respect you if you keep your head up.
AZB

May 12, 2005
I have only gotten stopped twice in 5 1/2 years of driving in DR. Got a handshake and a wave from the cops and I was on my way without any further issues.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Don't stop

Learn the difference between a military uniform and a police uniform. Don't stop unless it's a military uniform.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Ahh.....Officer...you might want to look at this......

And when all else fails........Casually show him your "Get out of jail card"......That has always worked for me..........

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Windows closed and doors shut when driving through the city.
Does count in every big city in the world you know ;)

yep i noticed cars that have Limo tints (like my tahoe has) get stopped very little as opposed to cars that have their windows down! damn i gues its true everything over here is backwards compared to the u.s. LOL

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I get stopped occaisional and have gotten asked if I have a gun and I simply tell them no. It used to make me nervous but not anymore. I won't stop at night for anyone not unless I think I need to to not be in danger.

Funny is many times they aks me how I'm doing "commandante". It must be the close cropped hair and military demeanor, or maybe I'm just frightful looking? :)

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Hey guys saw this yesterday in santiago..........

So i was driving After gasing up(filling up Gas) and there is a police checkpoint right before a light... Now the cops seem to be cool theyre not really stopping anyone, but the driver of the car driving next to which happens to be a Black Suv With Windows Down got pulled over, one of the cops without asking for any papers or such when he approached the suv, yanks the guy out of the car and starts searching him and finds his concealed weapon(looked like a glock) in the guys waistband,plus a mag pouch with two additional magazines. the cop starts yelling @ the guy oh your going to jail Your going to jail (oh usted ta jodio usted va preso usted va preso) so the guy tells the cop: But Why? i have a permit to carry that weapon and i stopped when u asked me to stop? u didnt ask me if had a weapon, neither did u ask me for any licenses. u just reached in and opened my door! (mind you the damn traffic light was red so i was being nosy :) and the cop said that he didnt care that he was going to jail and that was that! luckily a higher rank showed up and asked what was going on and the guy was explaining what had happend and the cop was denying everything stating that the guy didnt stop or didnt show any type of respect! But after seeing the gun license the higher up let the guy go. Now my question to u guys..what would you have done in this situation?

Usually how this works is the first guy tears someone out of their car and scares the hell out of them, then the second guy rescues them from the first guy and for that they receive a "tip" (which they split w/ the first cop after you leave). "Good cop-bad cop" routine, Dominican style.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Learn the difference between a military uniform and a police uniform. Don't stop unless it's a military uniform.

I'd be careful about that. I saw the police shoot out a guy's tire and rear window right in the Colonial Zone one night for not stopping at their roadblock. Then they called in the DNCD to rip his car apart. The guy said they were late for a wedding and he had his wife and kid in the car and they were dressed for a wedding. Even had a gift with them.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
There's a checkpoint on my street so I get stopped at least once a month. Usually they see the blue eyes and just wave me on. If not, I greet them, show my ID and car papers and then say nothing so we wait. and wait. and wait. Eventually they're forced to say something and it's usually "You have a good day now".

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
There's a checkpoint on my street so I get stopped at least once a month. Usually they see the blue eyes and just wave me on. If not, I greet them, show my ID and car papers and then say nothing so we wait. and wait. and wait. Eventually they're forced to say something and it's usually "You have a good day now".

I've done this too... especially when I'm just too tired and not in the mood... they are waiting for a "propina". As soon as they realize they're wasting their time with you, they'll let you go.