Is it really that bad? Damn!

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
Hey guys - I just graduated and planned on coming down to the DR for 7 days to celebrate. I speak Spanish and I've been to PR and Venezuela..never any problems. Soooo I've been reading these threads over the past few months and I'm starting to become concerned. I mean, is it really that dangerous or is it no more dangerous than any other country? Thank God I have never had any problems when traveling elsewhere....but these comments about the robberies, violence etc. are almost making me 2nd guess coming down. Maybe I should stick to PR? Advice? I mean let me know what I should expect.. s hell can I even go out to the clubs?
Please let me know your thoughts.. Damien

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If you've been to Puerto Rico & Venezuela without problems, you've shown you can travel in Latin American countries. You shouldn't have any problems here.

You don't need to fear the people. Keep in mind that most who have issues are either here on sex trips (which pretty much tells you the type of environment they stay in and the willingness of whom they're dealing with do whatever for a few pesos - including steal) or don't know how to handle themselves when traveling abroad.

Normal interactions with normal people are casual and fleeting when you travel. Just beware the ones that might want to become your instant best buddy - they have an agenda. You wouldn't befriend someone like that in New York or London, why here?

Come. Enjoy. Report back!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with CFA. If you hang with dirt you get dirty. It is as simple as that. The clubs in Santo Domingo and Santiago are really nice places for meeting people andhaving a good time.
Leave the bling at home and do not carry a huge wad of money to impress the chicks...
Dress right. Just like at home.

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
....and if you go to a club alone try to look like you are not looking for something, even if you are.
Dont leap into the ams of the first person who says hola

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Man, I live in one of safest city of the world, but there is an area of this city where I would not hangout any time I could smell the danger in this place since the first time I drove through....
Common sense that all you need!!!
Same like the animal to survive in forest.
Mantente como el chivo....

JJ

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
....and if you go to a club alone try to look like you are not looking for something, even if you are.
Dont leap into the ams of the first person who says hola

That's good advice maaron1. That person could easily be JR, trying to look like he's not looking.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
1. Don't look for drugs, prison here is not fun.
2. Don't drink a lot in unfamiliar places without some friends
3. Don't flash money/passport/electronics
4. I am sure you are a charming person but if someone you just met is all over you then make some space.
5. Don't go home with anyone you don't know wither its for a party or other.

Basically, all the advice anyone will give you is don't try to look like a big shot and keep a clear head. DR is safe, I've gone out many times with others and alone and I live here 24/7/365 and no problemos yet.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Maaron1, where are you travelling to within the DR? I can tell you that in Santo Domingo the most popular clubs are very safe and the music is very loud and if I was your age I'd be in them all the time. I'm getting old and cranky now and struggle to preserve what's left of my hearing. They check guns at the doors and do pat downs and if there's a problem with anyone they make them come back to collect their sidearm the next day after they've sobered up.

The people are generally very friendly (opposite of Miami where everyone's a badazz)
and you will have lots of fun. I think you've chosen a great place to celebrate. Congrats.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Maybe I should stick to PR?

I wouldn't Damien, no ;).

Police, Protesters Clash At Puerto Rico's Capitol

Normal common sense should see you through here in DR just fine. If you want specific advice about gay clubs, ask away - I'm sure there are posters who will respond. Listen to what is going on around you, without necessarily letting on that you speak Spanish first. If you don't like what you hear, quietly move on. Speaking Spanish will definitely give you an advantage but you don't necessarily need to publicise that.

Have a wonderful holiday!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Yes, go!

I just returned after some time away, and I was concerned by some postings as well. I had a great time, and encourage you to go, knowing Spanish will help. As others have said, don't leave your common sense at home. Don't want to start a war with any Boricuas on the board, but the DR IMHO has so much more to offer.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
I'm traveling to santo domingo and puerto plata and maybe a stop in santiago to visit a friend from school; maybe. thanks for the advice. it really makes me feel better. when I first went to PR about 5 years ago, I read the same type of reports, when I arrived it wasn't as bad as I had perceived. Hopefully the same is true for the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Maaron1, if the people who become victims on their vacations anywhere could just post their pictures or let us hear their voice, you would understand why they have victim written all over them. Over the years I have met guys who wanted to meet me in santiago for a chat and tips, were not your average joe from NYC. One older man comes to me, he looked like a banker (very elegant man). We were in monumento area and he points at a local girl from a barrio. She was there looking for some guy for quick cash and he happen to stumble upon her. I called the girl over to introduce him to my american friend, hoping he would get his rocks off and move on. I was surprised to see he chose her, he could have had any girl in santiago. Needless to say, he fell in love with her after the first sex and maybe married with her by now. How long would it be before she cleans him up good or cheats on his back when he is in USA? Another man begged me to give him some advice on a local girl (from barrio of-course). he was also american. When I met him, I found he had nail polish on every nail on his fingers. I also ran into some people I knew (patients). I hope they didn't think I was on a hot gay date. What do you think will happen to this man when he is walking hand in hand with a barrio girl in a dangerous barrio?
Then you have guys who send me messages and call me to ask for advice on how to get away from a hooker who has his baby and cleaning him out of cash and threatening him with violence etc.
Like people say. , you sleep with dogs, you will wake up with a flees or worse, a disease. yes, good decent folks can become victim anywhere but the majority of expats, tourists in DR fall victims because they either were in the wrong company, in the wrong place or just were not taking any precautions. Some have no common sense at all.
So keep your heads up and stay clear of shady people. You will be just fine.
AZB

manila

Nov 9, 2009
Maaron1, if the people who become victims on their vacations anywhere could just post their pictures or let us hear their voice, you would understand why they have victim written all over them. Over the years I have met guys who wanted to meet me in santiago for a chat and tips, were not your average joe from NYC. One older man comes to me, he looked like a banker (very elegant man). We were in monumento area and he points at a local girl from a barrio. She was there looking for some guy for quick cash and he happen to stumble upon her. I called the girl over to introduce him to my american friend, hoping he would get his rocks off and move on. I was surprised to see he chose her, he could have had any girl in santiago. Needless to say, he fell in love with her after the first sex and maybe married with her by now. How long would it be before she cleans him up good or cheats on his back when he is in USA? Another man begged me to give him some advice on a local girl (from barrio of-course). he was also american. When I met him, I found he had nail polish on every nail on his fingers. I also ran into some people I knew (patients). I hope they didn't think I was on a hot gay date. What do you think will happen to this man when he is walking hand in hand with a barrio girl in a dangerous barrio?
Then you have guys who send me messages and call me to ask for advice on how to get away from a hooker who has his baby and cleaning him out of cash and threatening him with violence etc.
Like people say. , you sleep with dogs, you will wake up with a flees or worse, a disease. yes, good decent folks can become victim anywhere but the majority of expats, tourists in DR fall victims because they either were in the wrong company, in the wrong place or just were not taking any precautions. Some have no common sense at all.
AZB

listen to the man.

azb, i've been meaning to thank you but the last time i tried and submitted my post on some thread it was already locked by robert :laugh:

i've been back and forth for two years now and i've always applied your reasoning, advise, and when i get in situations i think back of what you said and get my head straight and once again i'm saved of headaches. you da man dude!

also, hilbilly's 3 rules is gospel truth.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
listen to the man.

azb, i've been meaning to thank you but the last time i tried and submitted my post on some thread it was already locked by robert :laugh:

i've been back and forth for two years now and i've always applied your reasoning, advise, and when i get in situations i think back of what you said and get my head straight and once again i'm saved of headaches. you da man dude!

also, hilbilly's 3 rules is gospel truth.

There you go, this makes it all worth receiving all the abuse from AZB haters. One guys is saved of headaches. Solid example of a man who uses his head, not follows his heart.
Good work, keep coming here and keep enjoying this island.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There you go, this makes it all worth receiving all the abuse from AZB haters. One guys is saved of headaches. Solid example of a man who uses his head, not follows his heart.
Good work, keep coming here and keep enjoying this island.
AZB

Its not the heart they follow...it is much lower.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
AZB

Did that fruitbat hypnotist magician ever call you in february to discuss pickup lines?