If the subsidies were removed, what would be the price?

Jan 3, 2003
I have placed this in living since I guess it has to do with living in the DR but if it doesn't belong here, then the MODS will move it to where it belongs.

I am in favor of removing the subsidies for electricity and natural gas plus no more preferential pricing for oil imports.

Do others here share my view? If so, why? If not, why?

If you do share my view on this, then please answer the following questions:

I am curious to know though in your best estimation what would be the price of natural gas, electricity and gasoline if the subsidies were removed

AND

If so, what would be the consequences for the DR's social structure were these subsidies to be removed?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
First of all there would be no shortages in the LARGE cities. In the country there would be no power. Just like the USPS and Amtrak, the system is profitable in the large cities and from large cities to large cities. The system loses money when it has to cover the rural areas and underpopulated regions.
a. Electricity/Water would be constant and plentiful in wealthier areas, commercial and industrial areas of SDQ/S30, POP SPM, SFM. In the shanty towns and favelas, forget it. So expect cholera, dengue and likewise in the poor areas along with either electricity theft or noise/air pollution from diesel generators.
b. Fuel subsidy would make fuel cheaper in SD and S30 and coastal cities but interior? Probably 200% higher because of the transportation costs and inferior transportation network. Theft of fuel for blackmarket network, like in Nigeria.

c. Price? dont know, it d be cheap for those who could afford it and expensive for those who cant.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I have placed this in living since I guess it has to do with living in the DR but if it doesn't belong here, then the MODS will move it to where it belongs.

I am in favor of removing the subsidies for electricity and natural gas plus no more preferential pricing for oil imports.

Do others here share my view? If so, why? If not, why?

If you do share my view on this, then please answer the following questions:

I am curious to know though in your best estimation what would be the price of natural gas, electricity and gasoline if the subsidies were removed

AND

If so, what would be the consequences for the DR's social structure were these subsidies to be removed?

I've been led to believe that natural gas subsidy is in place to take some of the charcoal pressure off the forests, and therefore slow deforestation.