Most memorable experience in DR

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
What is your most memorable experience in the DR ?

I'll post mine: Driving to Sabana de la Mar (across the bay from Saman?) early one morning, and then paying a couple of local fishermen a few hundred pesos to take me in their boat carved out of a huge hollowed-out tree up the coast on an "excursion". We even went back into the coastal mangroves of Los Haitises National Park.

We could see Saman? across several miles of open water. Ended up spending several hours on the water on a perfect morning. Huge lunch of fresh shrimp at a nearby "restaurant" for next to nothing. Also fun watching people getting on board the ferry to Saman?, and guys passing motos down to the ferry from the small dock to take across.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Our wedding on the beach in Costambar. The sun setting over Cofresi & the moon rising over Puerto Plata.

Sometimes we need to remind ourselves why we came here - great thread!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Becoming a good friend of Anthony Santos and having the pleasure of teaching him English for one of his songs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So many, but I think it was the first time I stood at the edge of a cliff overlooking the river and valley in San Jose de Ocoa..... breathtaking and such a sense of awe at the sheer beauty of the vista...

AE

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Taxi driver

Although there are many, my most memorable experience was when I accidentally left my backpack in a taxi late one evening. In it were passports, plane tickets, traveller's checks (it was a few years ago), and cash. The next day, in the midst of my panic, an obnoxious car horn blowing outside the gate turned out the be the taxi. The driver returned the backpack and all was exactly as I left it. Ever since that day, I have loved the DR and all Dominicans.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The Ocean,
my most memorable ones are about the spots where you can't see the Island for hours.
13 years ago on a 24ft'er caught in a heavy weather change,
the rough rain did not allow to see the nose of the lil Boat from the Center Console,
4 Austrian customers on Board scared to He$$ sitting in front of the Center console in a row on the floor with 2 lifevests at hand each,
all that with a Mate who tried to explain me at that time that he never learned how to swim,
I entered 2 hrs later without any visibility a few hundred yards aside of the usual Bavaro Passage (todays in front of the Melia Resort Water Sports Center) over the reef of the shallow in front of the Barcelo Palace Hotel, stopped a few meters aside their Catamaran they ankered there due that incoming weather.
No, I did not see that Catamaran til the moment we've been side by side.
the boat had wonderwise not even a scatch.
the GPS?
that been a simple Compass back in the day, most of the time I could not see it in front of Me.
Yes, I **** my pants a thousand times,
Yes,
It was just a fantastic piece of lifetime.

Mike