0 negative blood urgently needed in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

May 15, 2004
O negative blood is urgently needed at CMC clinic in Sosua for a small girl who needs an operation. If any donors are prepared to come forward, it will be much appreciated.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
good response so far.......

So far, 8 or 9 people have gone to give blood, which is a wonderful response.

Our thoughts are with the girl's family right now, but a more serious question is raised; this happened in the afternoon when it was easy to reach people. One post on Facebook and we had 3 people off to the hospital within 10 minutes.

Imagine though if something like this happens in the middle of the night and you cannot reach anyone and because of a lack of blood, the child (in this case) dies?

We think that it would be a good idea to have a data-base of blood groups of willing volunteers that could be reached in case of such an emergency. MJ Barshi is now trying to organize such a thing and she has asked that I post her telephone number for anyone who is willing to go on that list; 809 571 1818.

You can also PM me if you'd like to be added. Thanks, Clare

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Blood donors...

Am so pleased that you managed to find a number of people willing to donate blood in this latest incident.

I was under the impression that CMC were compiling their own list of available donors which was started some time ago.... I am a rather common O positive blood group and they had blood available for me when I needed it 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/96559-dr1-blood-donor-register-new-updated-oct-2009-a.html could be updated again noting those that may have left the area and those who have moved in and are willing to be donors either for emergencies or on a regular basis.

These appeals should not be left to a last moment call and, as pointed out, what happens if that need arises in the middle of the night?

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Perhaps this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/96559-dr1-blood-donor-register-new-updated-oct-2009-a.html could be updated again noting those that may have left the area and those who have moved in and are willing to be donors either for emergencies or on a regular basis.

Had no idea about that register Whirleybird - needs to be promoted again, especially as the population is so transient here. I know that MJ is determined to get an 'active' list going as you say - last minute appeals are great when everyone's awake and at the computer.

By the way, the girl is out of her OP now and in recovering with good prospects. She had ruptured her spleen, hence the blood loss.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Wow!!! Good news and to the 8 or 9 people who stepped up and gave blood, you are truly good people.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
O rH negative in santo domingo

I will give ya a pint of the O RH negative if I can give it here is SD, do not know if it is possible.

Maybe could get a few more donars here, it is a larger blood pool, maybe it would be worth while.............

Just let me know where and when to go................I will be there.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I will give ya a pint of the O RH negative if I can give it here is SD, do not know if it is possible.

Maybe could get a few more donars here, it is a larger blood pool, maybe it would be worth while.............

Just let me know where and when to go................I will be there.

Thank you - the hospital has enough blood for now - an overwhelming response, this time. Whirleybird's blood group thread was a good thing, but maybe is now a little out of date.

We are now looking at compiling a new list partially using Facebook (don't laugh - it really was the fastest way of getting help today; within 5 minutes, the first response from another young person who knew her and her father's blood group) to store some emergency contacts to a small group of people who will hold the list of available donors.

Ironically, the young girl who responded to the first alert did not know at the time she was going to donate to one of her best friends.

Caz

May 15, 2004
The names and contact details of all the folks who are willing to donate blood in times of need, is in a database at CMC, but was not being used for some reason. So as the situation was serious.........

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have to ask this, Is the blood screened here like in the states for different diseases like HIV, Hepatitis, etc. before being administered.
And, if yes, who does it.
Since HIV is so prevalent here, this has to be asked.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I have to ask this, Is the blood screened here like in the states for different diseases like HIV, Hepatitis, etc. before being administered.

It is a very good question and I will try and find out the answer - it is something we were discussing last night whilst all this was unraveling.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
They will do a PCV before the person donates to check haematocrit levels. When we had the original blood register thread back in 2007 I went and interviewed the doctora in charge of the blood bank at Ricardo Limardo in PP. Post 23 here, bit of an eye opener:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/65315-dr1-blood-donor-register-3.html
subsequently challenged by information helpfully obtained and posted by A. Hidalgo with a letter from the then Director of National Blood Programme. But it gives you some contact points swellsurf, to pursue this further.

Regrettably I'm excluded due to age and weight.

Aug 21, 2007
Mary Jo, from CMC is currently out of the country. That may be the reason why the CMC blood donor register was not used.

Lindsey

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006

Five years ago, I was operated on by Roberto Spitale (my hero) for a fractured vertebra and sciatic nerve damage. Because of the above issues I gave my own blood three days in advance of the op. It was my understanding that the screening done, if at all, is not what we would consider acceptable. A blood donor register is a great idea.
Well done swellsurf for rounding up the troops.....
I hope the little girl recovers quickly.

Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.