Rights when stopped by police

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
I have no idea why, but in the past month I've been stopped by the police three times. I'd never been stopped in the three years I'd lived here before. Anyway, they usually poke around, ask for documents, ask me if I'm in the military, fiddle with my driver's license for a couple of minutes and then shove off. Makes me wonder, if they ever become a little too curious and need more incentive other than my complete and total openness for them to leave, what are my rights? Can I ask for a badge number? Can they request my documents just like that without telling me why I've been stopped? What are their rights and what are mine?

Thank you!

Mar 2, 2008
I'm sure you will receive many astute observations from some very knowledgeable people, but for me the bottom line is fairly straightforward, they have many rights and you have few.

If you are a gringo, that goes double, or perhaps it would be more precise to say, they have all the rights, and you have none.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've been stopped many times, asked if I have any weapons, sometimes have a look at my documents, sometimes just have a look into the car. I've never been asked for money and have always been treated politely so I personally have no issues with it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we have many checkpoints at changing positions here on the East, mostly during late afternoon and during the nights.
most are searches for weapons, during the last months they also ask for full documentation of the car and the driver on the same check.
so their first question is:
do ya have a Gun in da car???
if the answer is no they will most likely do a Search of the car, most checkpoints for that here on the East have at least One Dog handy to assist.
if answer "Yes",
then they ask to empty the Gun and hand it over together with the up to date renewed permits, both permits, cedular, residency card, card of car insurance, card of dominican drivers licence, copy of the car's Matricula.
if you have all that you are through in 2-3 minutes.
if you miss something related to the Car you get a Fine, that will be done by a always present AMET member within the Military Crowd,
if something related to the Gun is missing/not renewed etc they will keep the Gun and the presented Documents, you get a receipt for that, the original, the copy stay's with them, the document and the copy need to be signed by You and the Officer in charge who keeps your Gun.
make sure EVERYTHING they keep, like Gun, permit etc etc is remarked as such on the receipt.

til today they been always very Polite, never got asked about money/bribes, the opposite, I would have guessed it would have been a big mistake to offer such to the crowd.

a good half year back I had a neg experience, at least for a short time, I wrote about it on an other posting, will not repeat, but on that ocassion my own documentation not been in orden like it should be.

Mike

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
Here in Santiago they usually will set up their check point at evening, I have be stopped 2 ~3 times, and I have be asked for those documents, I always fully cooperate with them, I carry a box of 1st aux tools, that has fire extinguisher, triangle stop sign etc on it, somebody told me that transit law require one to carry them all, once I show them the box, they has no more word, and let me go~~

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Conversation between you and the policeman:
Cop; hagame el favor parece por ahi a la derecha
you; buenos dias senor en que podemos servirle?
cop; estamos haciendo una revicion de rutina
you; oh, si claro senor y como puedo ayudarlo?
cop; permitame por favor los pales del vehiculo, la licencia y su identificacion personal
you; claro senor con mucho gusto deme un segundo
cop; usted porta arma de fuego
you; no senor pero algun dia quisiera poder tener una
cop; valla con dios amigo
you; gracias senor hasta luego

JJ

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
why?

I don't want to get on too much of a tangent, but why are the police so interested in people carrying guns in their vehicles? Traffic is crazy, but I don't see that much road rage. And what I do see is expressed more with dueling horns and occasional sign language.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Conversation between you and the policeman:
Cop; hagame el favor parece por ahi a la derecha
you; buenos dias senor en que podemos servirle?
cop; estamos haciendo una revicion de rutina
you; oh, si claro senor y como puedo ayudarlo?
cop; permitame por favor los pales del vehiculo, la licencia y su identificacion personal
you; claro senor con mucho gusto deme un segundo
cop; usted porta arma de fuego
you; no senor pero algun dia quisiera poder tener una
cop; valla con dios amigo
you; gracias senor hasta luego

JJ

Excellent. May I add if they say: Dame algo para las cervezitas and you have an extra 50 bucks go ahead and give it to him, the hassle to fight it back is not worth it.

Remember these cops are the dumbest (brutos) people in the DR. They only feel important because they have a gun and a badge. If you disrespect those things they can react in a violent manner. Be smart.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I don't want to get on too much of a tangent, but why are the police so interested in people carrying guns in their vehicles? Traffic is crazy, but I don't see that much road rage. And what I do see is expressed more with dueling horns and occasional sign language.

Not in Santo Domingo, I have seen drivers shooting into the air on many occasions while trying to negotiate who has right of way in a rush hour stand off down a crowded street. So I presume on occasion they don't shoot into the air hence the interest, then again, I don't see much interest in stopping cars in the city so slightly puzzled.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Not in Santo Domingo, I have seen drivers shooting into the air on many occasions while trying to negotiate who has right of way in a rush hour stand off down a crowded street. So I presume on occasion they don't shoot into the air hence the interest, then again, I don't see much interest in stopping cars in the city so slightly puzzled.

Wow. I've never experienced that myself, but now it makes sense why the police don't want guns in cars.

I wonder if the guys resorted to gunfire because their horns were broken. And I suppose I'm assuming too much by saying "guys". Some of the dear ladies can be just a bit aggressive on the road, too.

Thanks for the answer to my question. Now, back to the thread...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Wow. I've never experienced that myself, but now it makes sense why the police don't want guns in cars.

I wonder if the guys resorted to gunfire because their horns were broken. And I suppose I'm assuming too much by saying "guys". Some of the dear ladies can be just a bit aggressive on the road, too.

Thanks for the answer to my question. Now, back to the thread...

no no,
you got that Gunsearch thingy wrong.
it is not prohibited to have a Gun in a Car, as long as the Gun is a Legal one and the Owner has the up to date permits handy.
they search the Cars at the ceckpoints for Illegal Guns,
and they confiscate dozens each few hours of Checkpoint.
Mike

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
So, the police are trying to get illegal guns off the streets and checkpoints are the easiest way to do so. And it would have nothing to do with road rage. Is that correct?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The preoccupation seems to be illegal guns in cars.
And fair enough!
Why have an illegal gun?

I'm thinking too much like an American and over-analyzing the situation, I do believe.

Back to the thread, it sounds to me like: if someone is obeying the law with proper documentation to drive, then there is no reason to fear stopping at a police checkpoint. Cooperate with the officers, and all should be well. BUT, be prepared for the rare rogue officer who may be looking to line his pocket.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Possibly a small chance that those illegal guns siezed do manage to find their way back onto the street somehow, no far be it from me to insinuate, <cough cough> no I will,,,,, bent police + siezed illegal guns + sale back into the street = nice bonus on sh1te salary.