Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rights when stopped by police

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Rights when stopped by police

I have no idea why, but in the past month I've been stopped by the police three times. I'd never been stopped in the three years I'd lived here before. Anyway, they usually poke around, ask for documents, ask me if I'm in the military, fiddle with my driver's license for a couple of minutes and then shove off. Makes me wonder, if they ever become a little too curious and need more incentive other than my complete and total openness for them to leave, what are my rights? Can I ask for a badge number? Can they request my documents just like that without telling me why I've been stopped? What are their rights and what are mine?

Thank you!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you will receive many astute observations from some very knowledgeable people, but for me the bottom line is fairly straightforward, they have many rights and you have few.

If you are a gringo, that goes double, or perhaps it would be more precise to say, they have all the rights, and you have none.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been stopped many times, asked if I have any weapons, sometimes have a look at my documents, sometimes just have a look into the car. I've never been asked for money and have always been treated politely so I personally have no issues with it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we have many checkpoints at changing positions here on the East, mostly during late afternoon and during the nights.
    most are searches for weapons, during the last months they also ask for full documentation of the car and the driver on the same check.
    so their first question is:
    do ya have a Gun in da car???
    if the answer is no they will most likely do a Search of the car, most checkpoints for that here on the East have at least One Dog handy to assist.
    if answer "Yes",
    then they ask to empty the Gun and hand it over together with the up to date renewed permits, both permits, cedular, residency card, card of car insurance, card of dominican drivers licence, copy of the car's Matricula.
    if you have all that you are through in 2-3 minutes.
    if you miss something related to the Car you get a Fine, that will be done by a always present AMET member within the Military Crowd,
    if something related to the Gun is missing/not renewed etc they will keep the Gun and the presented Documents, you get a receipt for that, the original, the copy stay's with them, the document and the copy need to be signed by You and the Officer in charge who keeps your Gun.
    make sure EVERYTHING they keep, like Gun, permit etc etc is remarked as such on the receipt.

til today they been always very Polite, never got asked about money/bribes, the opposite, I would have guessed it would have been a big mistake to offer such to the crowd.

a good half year back I had a neg experience, at least for a short time, I wrote about it on an other posting, will not repeat, but on that ocassion my own documentation not been in orden like it should be.

Mike
    Mike
    www.MikeFisherPuntaCana.com
    [email protected]
    Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Dominican Republic
    Mike Fisher Facebook Group on

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Santiago they usually will set up their check point at evening, I have be stopped 2 ~3 times, and I have be asked for those documents, I always fully cooperate with them, I carry a box of 1st aux tools, that has fire extinguisher, triangle stop sign etc on it, somebody told me that transit law require one to carry them all, once I show them the box, they has no more word, and let me go~~

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

you have the right to remain silent

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    you have the right to remain silent
    Even after they shoot you dead.....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Conversation between you and the policeman:
    Cop; hagame el favor parece por ahi a la derecha
    you; buenos dias senor en que podemos servirle?
    cop; estamos haciendo una revicion de rutina
    you; oh, si claro senor y como puedo ayudarlo?
    cop; permitame por favor los pales del vehiculo, la licencia y su identificacion personal
    you; claro senor con mucho gusto deme un segundo
    cop; usted porta arma de fuego
    you; no senor pero algun dia quisiera poder tener una
    cop; valla con dios amigo
    you; gracias senor hasta luego

JJ

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default why?

I don't want to get on too much of a tangent, but why are the police so interested in people carrying guns in their vehicles? Traffic is crazy, but I don't see that much road rage. And what I do see is expressed more with dueling horns and occasional sign language.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

are all these posts that say nothing leading to something ?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast