Exhorbitant electricity bill

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Does any one know an expert electrician in the LT area who can test the electrics in our house. This month we have received a bill for RD$ 33,000 whereas our normal bill has never been higher than RD$ 12,000. we have not changed our lifestyle nor installed any new machinery.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Does any one know an expert electrician in the LT area who can test the electrics in our house. This month we have received a bill for RD$ 33,000 whereas our normal bill has never been higher than RD$ 12,000. we have not changed our lifestyle nor installed any new machinery.

Man, I will never bitch about my bill again, average, RD 2000. per month.
What is the LT area? I have someone if it's close to Santiago.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
When you contact an electrician request him to check all you interior lines and to include a trace of the service line from the house to the meter.

You or the electrician can do this. Consider breaking all your circuits (switch the breakers to the off position) at your breaker box and then observe the meter to see if it is continues to measure usage. If the meter is still recording usage after you have tripped the circuits, somebody has tapped into your line.

Note: if there is any construction near your house that requires a welder, they have been known to connect their equipment into any available electric source.

Good luck

Regards,
PJT

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right,
the first thing is to knock down the main breaker to the property, the meter should stand still.
if not, that means somebody is hooked up to your connection after the Meter and counts on your Bill.
in case the meter stands still there are 2 possibilities:
* you installed a machine during the last months which consumes much higher than the prior, I had that myself this year due a "great Deal" for a new heater, my usual Bill of 2.500-3.000 went up to near 5.000 2 consecutive months, yep, it takes a while befor you recognize such and find out the reason, 1 month after which you get the 1st high bill, 2nd month running while you still think about that 1 high bill, 3rd month after you got a clue about the 'may be' cause with the heater shut down/I put him on a separate breaker, to turn on when needed and turn off after the shower, darm , that worked, so the 4th month Bill been on the usual Nivel.
* the 2nd reason if that meter stands still could be simply because the person hooked up to your power is not using it at that Moment. maybe because it is a hook up of a nearby construction that has at that moment no electrical machine running, or you ordered a check by your local Power supplier, who of course shows up at your place with their company car with big letters written on that, so the bad neighbour shuts his consumption down for the short time of 'checking'.

I would recommend to check the meter-thingy with the breakers down a couple of times, at different hours, and don't tell your neighbours what you are doing or that you comlalin about such.
Mike

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
could it be a water pump- doesnt the electric supplier do free checks, I understand that edenorte does, but I have never used the service

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Do you have an inverter?

A couple of bad batteries could also cause a large drain.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
that is true - check to see how hot they are, mine were constantly trying to charge at one time

Also a blocked pool filter on some systems- leads to higher consumption

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
No inverter or other equipment other than ordinary household things, a pool pump and a well pump. I shall follow up on donP's friend on Monday. We can find no trace of anybody helping themselves to our electricity,

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I know this sounds way out there, but did you look at the number count on the meter,
they are always in such a hurry, maybe he just read the meter wrong.
Compare your previous bills.....