Cell phone for USA

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Mods-- please feel free to move this thread to where it should be..

OK I am going to visit my sister and I want my own cell phone and want to leave it with her and refill the minutes on it. WHAT phone and prepaid plan should I get? Does anyone know of any cell phone plan in the US that does NOT charge for incoming international calls? thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The only one that comes to mind is the Go Phone from AT&T. You can add minutes as needed.

I don't know of any major phone company that doesn't charge time/minutes for incoming calls, regardless of where they come from.

MetroPCS has an add-on international plan [free calls to DR landlines] for $5 a month, but their service sucks big time from most locations.

AE

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Popular in the US

Would a Samsung R451C help?
It works with Straighttalk and I understand it works on prepaid cards.
I sent you a message.

donP

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
US Cellular is the only American carrier I know of with free incoming calls, and as far as I know, this includes calls from overseas.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Get a phone with Dual SIM cards so you can have a US Chip in it and another from Claro or whoever so you can call yourself when you want to and receive the call in the US

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Check this link. Prepaid wireless with free incoming calls.

U.S. Cellular

They have a range of monthy prepaid and pay as you go plans and phones as cheap as...................... free (after rebate) with no contract.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I usually go to slickdeals.net and find discounts that someone wiser than me or who has more time has found on a refurb net10.com phone. I then go to net10.com, order it and send it to where I am staying in the states. Typically I get a refurb phone + 600 minutes for around $20. I have been looking for a phone number that I can renew year after year for when I go to the states a few times a year without high monthly charges and heard you can get a TMobile number and plan with no minimum for around $100 year. I'm going to see what net10 would run for the year. Not sure about how international incoming calls are charged on net10.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As many mentioned by others, AT PayAsYouGo... about 10cents a minute plus a few hidden fees here and there. A $100.oo bulk time purchase guarantees your phone number for ONE year and the remaining time rolls over into the next year.

There are also other pay as you go companies which offer packages with a basic phone for around 29.99 at Walmart which usually includes about it's worth in calling minutes (also around 10c/min). Refills can be bought at Walmart too.

... J-D.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Would a Samsung R451C help?
It works with Straighttalk and I understand it works on prepaid cards.
I sent you a message.

donP
Yes, Right now this is the best prepay cellphone plan here in US. I have been trying all the different companies and this is the one I'm using now...

You have two options with this prepay plan:

A- a $ 30. card that give you 17 hours talk + 1000 Text messages and some ks. of internet usages per month...

B- a $ 45. card for unlimited talk and text and some internet ks / month.

no contract at all, they use the Verizon network it works really fine.

Oh, and the most important about this plan is that you can switch from option A to option B and vis versa...

You can get it at any Walmart stores.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Just text it with my daughter, we are connected on messenger and the text messages doesn't work from the DR..
So if need to text this plan won work..

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
If you need to be texting to and from the DR get a at&t go phone, sing up in their website and go to buy features, you can add 1000 text messages for only $9. that will be deducted from your monthly balance and this way you will be good keep in touch with your friend in the island.
I have this plan too.
Get a $ 15. Dollars card and use this only for text messages....
$9. per 1000. text and then get 500 additional text per $ 5.

I hate all those two years contracts!!

JJ