Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things To Do in Cabarete

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Things To Do in Cabarete

Hi,
    I've booked my trip to Cabarete from Sept 1-11. We will be staying at the Barefoot Beach Pad, we got a great deal on a studio there. Since the hotel is a ways out of town, I'm interested in renting bicycles. Can you recommend a place? Also which is the best SCUBA dive company? And finally, I'd like to swim with wild dolphins but I am not so stupid as to try to do it without a guide as it can be dangerous. I saw there is a tourist attraction with a dolphin experience, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'd like to get in the water with a friendly pod and if they want to interact with me that's fine, if not that's cool too. Is there anything like this available in Cabarete or the surrounding areas? Thanks again for all your responses!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't rent a bicycle. Your not at home.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Get a map

Having spent some time in Cabarete, the best thing to do is get a map and find some place else to visit. It is awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oriole100 View Post
    ???????????????????

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oriole100 View Post
    Mama Iguana rents mountain bikes and offers tours FYI.
    The office is in Cabarete.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Mama Iguana rents mountain bikes and offers tours FYI.
    The office is in Cabarete.
    Or Iguana Mama for the less dyslexic among us

Iguana Mama - Ecological Adventure Tours - Dominican Republic - Cabarete

Here's another good site for reference:

Cabarete - Dominican Republic - by Active Cabarete

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

dandman - wouldnt it be better to suggest somewhere else - it would be a lot more constructive

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with Cabarete, lovely beaches, good restaurants, easy access to visit other places. Someone with a bit less grey hair than me can tell you about the night life! LOL

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dandman View Post
    Having spent some time in Cabarete, the best thing to do is get a map and find some place else to visit. It is awful.
    Dandman- I won't bother to ask you to be specific since the last time you made this blanket criticism of Cabarete you didn't bother to respond to requests for the basis for your unhappiness.
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/630...tml#post524819

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Dandman, I actually did a fair amount of research as to which part of the DR would be best for the trip I'd like to take, and Cabarete seemed the best choice. It's actually one of Lonely Planet's Top 5 places to visit in the DR (Punta Cana is NOT one of them, btw) We're not looking for some kind of luxury vacation, we aren't offended or disgusted by poverty or prostitutes or drug addicts, so if those are your complaints about Cabarete they're not of much concern to us. We're not coming to the country to judge, we want to spend an inexpensive vacation on a beautiful beach, we want to speak Spanish and learn about local culture, and we want to do something radically different from what we do here in Denver, Colorado. We're going to Cabarete, plane tickets bought, hotel room booked, and so far I couldn't be happier with our decision. Thanks for your input, but I think we chose the right place :-)

And actually I appreciate your input on the bikes, oriole100. We debated whether or not it would be safe since the roads are so different there. We will definitely investigate everything before we make any choices about transportation. If we feel comfortable enough, maybe we will rent bikes or scooters. Thanks for the links DavidZ!

Random question: Do they make their own rum in the Dominican Republic or is it imported? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast