Govn't, Dengue;Virus;Flu? in Villa Mella, La Javilla

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Seems to be a real bad deal going around with all the rain. My wife informs that many people including the whole family, and the barrio have a really bad virus; bed ridden, a few infants have died. Sounds like a bad flu. She and our son (infitro) have been to there Dr. at the clinic since we have Humano. Originally started with bad fever so they got tested for Dengue--negative. Dr. presp. meds. for both that seem to control the fever. All other symtoms she relates seem to be a bad flu--no vomiting or diarhea. Any posters aware of this going around? It was a serious struggle for her to get UCE, but she was very parinoid of Dengue. With all the rain it makes sense but our house is more on a hill. She claims there are many deaths from Dengue right now and the Gov't is paying to keep it quiet. Looking for some folks to weigh in or advise. Should we be soliciting the Gates/ Buffet Fund for help to finally eradicate this? Hope they send auditors with the money.--.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have had several haitan children to see me with amazing fevers of 42 centigrade. No idea what it is. so far all ok with paracetomal and ice to keep fever down but all negative for dengue. No idea what it is, and no sign of any other infection

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
My wife informed me today that an adult died last night from this virus. She and the baby are now on their way back to the clinic as it is worse. Bad coughing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not be paranoid about government involvement. dominican media thrive on any tragedy and lovingly pick up cases of dengue to write about it so it would be hard and counterproductive to try to contain dengue and dengue info.
i have not seen increased sales of fever/flu meds and antibiotics in our farmacia and we cater to some pretty poor folks in various barrios. i presume what the people you wrote about have is bad case of flu/cold they have not treated properly: they did not take all pills prescribed (especially antibiotics), they did not rest.
please advice wife and kids to take complete treatment and drink lots of fluids, maybe pedialyte or some other suero (hydrating drink). even an ordinary flu can kill if it is ignored and has a chance to develop into serious respiratory problem.
all the best!

Feb 7, 2007
I started with dry cough on Wednesday, Thursday morning some raised temperature, and runny nose, fever (39.3 C) by Thursday night. With antiflu meds got fever down to 37 by Friday morning.

Went to Doc on Friday morning, had blood-work done, I had low platelets (122 down from my regular 185, normal values 150-450). Still dry cough and congestion plus now sore throat. Got prescribed Fludibron, 2 tablets every 12 hours. Plus lots of liquids. I drank like 2.5 gallons of liquids in 24 hours what goes Friday to Saturday among teas, natural juices, gatorade and guava/red bell peper (guayava/aji morron rojo) juice - this one raises platelets, search the net! The fever was at 38.5-39.3 C all afternoon Friday and into early morning hours Saturday, even with fever reduction meds. I was about to visit emergency room again that night this high continuous fever was scaring me a lot!!

Saturday morning the fever was down to 37.5 was feeling a bit better. Another blood work, platelets down again to 107. Feeling more-less OK during the day, temperature 37.5 practically whole day. Dry cough changed to wet cough and congestion started to wear off (it probably helped I did hot vapor inhalations since Friday late night, and several times on Saturday). Saturday night temperature rose to 38, but no more. This was after 12 hours without anti-flu-meds, so it was the "natural", not reduced temperature. Took Fludibron, and went to bed.

Sunday morning I woke up with 36.8, but I was powerless. Doing anything was so hard!. The water drops in the shower were actually hurting me! The temperature during the day 37-37.5. At night it got better (power-wise), resumed some power, temperature still at 37.5. Cough and congestion reduced, still having sore throat.

Today (Monday) woke up with 36.5, and maintained 36.5-36.7 during the day (till now). Sore throat almost gone, congestion almost gone, but still feel some upper respiratory tract aches. Still some wet cough. About 70% of power resumed. Did not have blood work done today but will tomorrow morning after I am sure the fever is 100% gone.

Still drinking 1 gallon of guayaba/aji morron juice per day. Hydratation is very important, with gatorade, and natural juices. Guayaba/aji morron juice is also very helpful as it is an extreme vitamin boost. Plus I am taking 2x daily 1000 mg Vitam C + zinc tablets.

P.S. For me, it was one of the worst "flu's" (or whatever this was/is) I have ever experienced (or remember experiencing). 3 days at bed, with 39 C fevers ... huh,,,

Feb 7, 2007
bad case of flu/cold they have not treated properly: they did not take all pills prescribed (especially antibiotics), they did not rest.

DV8, it is the 21st century knowledge that antibiotics do not work against cold and 95% cases of flu. Only about 5% of cases of flu are caused by bacteria (instead of viruses) where antibiotics can work.

Antibiotics work against bacteria, not against viruses.

In case of flu (not cold!!!) within first 48 hours of symptoms anti-viral medicine may be administered (like Tamiflu) which reduces symptoms and reduces recovery time by 2 days.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
flu, cold, respiratory issues - i file it all together. many are caused by bacterial infection and thus can be treated with antibiotic. doctors prescribe them for a reason.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
When wife and child went to the clinic the Dr. Prescribed other meds. sent them home telling them to drink lots of jucies water and eat fruit. Must be a real bad flu. She sounds better today. The 13mo. child is sleeping alot so meds. must be working.

Feb 7, 2007
My friend working in one of Bavaro's hotels came back home yesterday afternoon with really bad fever. Apparently he already had it during the night-before shift. 39 C. Now he has been having this high fever for almost 24 hours; fever reduction meds did little to lower the temperature.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Wonder if this is a countrywide virus after all the rain. There are many adults that have been quite ill for at least a week.