Best Hospital In S.Domingo?

E

engineerfg

Luckily I haven't needed too much medical care while here.

But if something were to go wrong, what would you recommend as the BEST hospital in Santo Domingo?

I accompanied a friend to one recently, and was told it's 'great' but I was less than impressed with it's 'third worldly charms' and the less than 'give a crap' attitude of the emergency room staff.

Where do the rock stars and multinational ceo's get their emergency appendicitis removals done in this country? (besides Miami).

Gracias.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Luckily I haven't needed too much medical care while here.

But if something were to go wrong, what would you recommend as the BEST hospital in Santo Domingo?

I accompanied a friend to one recently, and was told it's 'great' but I was less than impressed with it's 'third worldly charms' and the less than 'give a crap' attitude of the emergency room staff.

Where do the rock stars and multinational ceo's get their emergency appendicitis removals done in this country? (besides Miami).

Gracias.

All depends on the problem?

Cedimat for the high tech surgery, scans, nuclear medicine etc.
Corazon Unidas if you have heart issues.

All depends on your condition...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Robert I beg to disagree, as a former heart patient at CEDIMAT, plus other Dr. friends polled they all agree that CEDIMAT over Corazon Unidas. This is also were the Cardinal chose to go when he had his bypass.

In Santo Domingo. Depending on the problem
CEDIMAT
Plaza de Salud
Clinica Abrue

E

engineerfg

Wow. Talk about free market. Okay so just the best in terms of 'general' care. ie. slip and fall break something, or get malaria, or get into a car accident and need to get patched up.

Is the recommendation Plaza de Salud?

Basically where do the wealthy go?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
US Embassy staff and the Peace Corps workers are sent to Clinic Abreu.

I think it refers out the high tech heart operations (right, Bien Amor?) and it is not as modern perhaps as many of the others but evidently has some of the best trained doctors...

The nursing care is not what we would expect coming from the USA since the assumption is that you have family members who are going to stay with you and help .... perhaps there are other hospitals with better nursing care.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
US Embassy staff and the Peace Corps workers are sent to Clinic Abreu.

I think it refers out the high tech heart operations (right, Bien Amor?) and it is not as modern perhaps as many of the others but evidently has some of the best trained doctors...

The nursing care is not what we would expect coming from the USA since the assumption is that you have family members who are going to stay with you and help .... perhaps there are other hospitals with better nursing care.

Not sure they farm all of it out or if I was just lucky!. They do have a cardiologist on staff as well as superb oncologist at Abreu. I know that the Cardiologist at Abreu is also on staff at Corazon Unidas , but not at CEDIMAT.
the level of difference between Abreu and CEDIMAT is huge when it come to nursing staff. They are not expecting a stayover family member. But it is expensive, so get your health insurance!

Best bet for general care.
Plaza de Salud
or Clinica Abreu
Got something really nasty head for CEDIMAT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The posh folks tend to go to Abel Gonz?lez on Lincoln.

What about Hospiten?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The posh folks tend to go to Abel Gonz?lez on Lincoln.

What about Hospiten?

I went to Hospiten once and would never go again-- I went to get a malaria test since I had been on the border and had been sick - and wanted just that- just a malaria test -- but they had my VISA card and did a full blood work up for $300. (more than the price of a 24 hour stay at Abreu including tests)

I had a long talk with a Dominican American who was working there and he said that it was built-- primarily out in PC- for the folks who had international medical insurance..

And it certainly does look all bright and shiny....

Guess it would be fine if you have full insurance but if not-- watch out.