New RD$20.00 note

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I had my cashier give some to customers today as change. Some funny expressions. I had never seen that texture of money before. Original to say the least.

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
I still have a 10 peso bill in my purse. I think these new 20 bills are pointless since we already have 25 peso coins. Thats like making a 50? bill in the US :ermm:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
'bout time they brought them back.
hate carrying around so much change.
bring back the 10 peso note, too!

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
post a Foto of the Bills,
sounds like fun

Mike
100_0683.JPG

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Quote taken from Sosua News:
"The Central Bank of the Dominican Republic has decided to bring a new 20 peso banknote into circulation from July 1. When the 25 peso coin first came out the 20 peso paper banknote was withdrawn from the market. But the production of these coins is a costly affair, furthermore, the coins are saved up therefore there is a continuously shortage of change. The management of the central bank hopes that a 20 peso banknote is less interesting to save up and will make and end to the change shortage. The new bank note is made of a plastic (polymer) giving it a longer life, gets less dirty and less damaged. You can even give it a wash in the washing machine. The Dominican Republic is not the first country to have plastic money. Also Australia, Chile, China, Mexico, Taiwan, Costa Rica and Nicaragua use these washable bank notes."

I think this is a great idea and it should be done with all notes here in the D.R. As far as I remember, the Canadian Mint used to produce the coins for the D.R., (not sure about the notes), and one of the reasons why there was such a shortage of coins a couple of years back is that the government were struggling to pay for them, hence they were not shipped.
Having long lasting bills is very cost affective and will probably mean than these saved funds will be directed to a more worthwhile cause.....like the next election campaign, lol!!

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I hope you don't use that ruler for drawing straight lines. LOL!

You're right, it's more crooked than a politician.

I gave out some DOP $20 bills to buy limoncellos yesterday. They were thoroughly inspected by the street vendor, I think he was sure they were fake!

I like them though, I have far too many coins, they really weigh down my pants.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so they are for real, cool.
I didn't hear about them and still did not see any here.
yes, the coins are a pain I.T.Azz in the pocket, I hate that stuff and for the country it is anyways expensive to produce/or buy from the Canadians who don't wanna give Fiao on the Cash, lol.
I like the explanation above about the 'saving' problem,
because people fill their 'Cancias(sp?)' with all the Coins,
my Mrs has 2 big ones of them here and as soon as i come back home I get checked for the coins.
bad luck M'am, now the change will be 20-Bills in my purse, lol.
Mike

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
im glad I came across this thread

so what are the denominations of DR money? what is the easiest way to purchase things? this will be my first visit... Thanks for the help.

Damien

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
so what are the denominations of DR money? what is the easiest way to purchase things? this will be my first visit... Thanks for the help.

Damien

Dominican Peso (DOP; symbol RD$). Notes are in denominations of RD$2,000, 1,000, 500, 100 and 50. Coins are in denominations of RD$25, 10, 5 and 1.

and now the RD$20 note.

Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dominican Peso (DOP; symbol RD$). Notes are in denominations of RD$2,000, 1,000, 500, 100 and 50. Coins are in denominations of RD$25, 10, 5 and 1.

and now the RD$20 note.

Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

And of course the 200 note. which is totally useless in my book.

Mar 2, 2008
I agree it's fairly useless, but it is pretty, with the Mirabel sisters, lavender shade, and all. It also makes a nice 'separator' bill to place between the 100s and 500s.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I wanna see a picture of it crumpled up.

You know, like Motoconcho drivers and expats do with bills when they stuff em' en their pockets..

Ahh, well I read this too late. Just bought some fritura with my 20's.

But I did pore a bottle of coke over them. They held up well and just shed the black stickness.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

Damien

that simply depends where you will visit.
if you visit for a week or 2 to an AI resort in a touristy area,
then don't bother with exchanging money or such,
you can pay everywhere in US$$$, you get the rates told in $$$, too.
DR Money, named Dominican Pesos, is available in Coins of 1, 5, 10 and 25 Pesos and in Bills of 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 and 2000 Pesos.
exchange rate is actually 36.70.- Pesos for 1 US$.
for a quick exchange calculation to get the Ballpark about the price of a product take the simple formula of US$3.- = 100.- Pesos

if you visit to somewhere off the resort areas of course you need Pesos.
the easiest way to get 'em is the use of a credit or debit card at ATM's, they always dispense local currency or course/Pesos, and the exchange rates are always great, better than at any bank.
cheers
Mike

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Great for the 20 peso bill.

My wife always wants my "coin" change, now I will save more money! ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
Am i the only one that likes coin change?
Maybe its because i have a purse so its technically never in my pockets. I just cant stand it when i go to a colmado or something and they NEVER have change, if i pay for something i want my change not 2 halls mints :tired:
On the other hand i'm loving that new texture, its a great idea. we should make a transition and make all our bills like this.