Dominican accent....

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The girl sounds like me when speaking English...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4T5fsv1Z1s&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4T5fsv1Z1s&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It sounds funny. These people can read english but place too much importance on trying to sound American. You can tell because the dude is using too many hand gestures to remember where to put the emphasis on the words.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
It sounds funny. These people can read english but place too much importance on trying to sound American. You can tell because the dude is using too many hand gestures to remember where to put the emphasis on the words.

When are we getting your video of speaking spanish?

Bachata, correct, that's one of the things I want to get rid of, my accent, but it just won't go lol.

Jan 3, 2003
Bachata, you speak English like her.

LOL- so you got a Latina accent then. Where are you from and where do you live?

That's cute and humble of you to express that publicly.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Bachata, correct, that's one of the things I want to get rid of, my accent, but it just won't go lol.

Como me decia un primo de la mujer mia; "que flojes la lengua". Le da mayor facilidad con un traigito. :)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
JJ, both are Santiago natives.
We screen tested about 20 people & they were by far the best.

Yeidry has some tv experience in Santiago, but to the best of my knowledge has never been to the U.S.
Ricardo (no prior on cam experience) worked several summers in the U.S. Speaks like a native today.

They were asked to enunciate clearly & both did a great job.
Filming, graphics, & editing done by a group out of Santiago as well.

Unfortunately, no longer airing on local tv due to the slow economy & low ad revenue. Still have all the videos on Pto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, transportation etc online at http://www.drtouristtv.com

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know about the hand gestures but it is a fact that Dominicans (and other Hispanics, especially PR) I have met over the years put way too much emphasis on knowing "catchy phrases" rather than being grammatically correct. For many, this is the reason they may never become fluent.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Chip, I think that to be fluent and to speak with a different accent are totally different.
Ex: I meet a guy the other here in Raleigh who speaks English fluently, words come out of his mouth with no pauses. But I could noticed he is no a native English speaker because of his accent..
The other day I meet a girl in Wake Forest she was talking very fast in English but I could notice she is Dominican because of her different Hispanic accent.

Nosotros los Dominicanos somos aceleraos y hacemos mas muecas y musara?as que un loco al hablar.

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

When I speak Spanish I sound like Jimmy Smits or anyone who thinks in english and is translating the words into Spanish as they come out of his mouth.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I think that to be fluent and to speak with a different accent are totally different.

I actually believe it's a combination of both. The key is being effective.

For example I have met people with a strong accent but they spoke grammatically correct that one could consider fluent.

On the other hand I have met people who had better pronunciation but that lacked the knowledge of proper grammar or "overextended" themselves and they were difficult to understand. I unfortunately have met many Dominicans that fall into this category and the unfortunate thing is it doesn't have to be like this if they would only tried to speak more simply as opposed to being "de moda".

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think they both sound lovely- the man more than the woman I think- I only hope my spanish accent is as good as their english

May 31, 2005

Dominicans use the hands a lot when speaking English or Spanish...