Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Electricity norms?

Maybe some of you DR1 electricians can help me out.

For about a month I've been dealing with Edenorte about my power, and despite persistence on my part, I am getting bogged down in the bureaucratic idiocy that is Edenorte.

My power is coming in at 250V.

One Ede technician tells me the upper limit is 235V
    Another tells me that 250V is fine
    Yet another (this one the supervisor, who is apparently an enginero) tells me 245 is the upper limit, but that sitting at 240V is the way it should be.

Of course, i have two dead fans, as well as a dead pool pump so I am REALLY enjoying dealing with this issue.

Does anyone know for certain what the power company's actual limits are, as well as at what V the power is supposed to come in at.

Also, since it's been a month and at least 8 trips to the office, as well as visits from both the high line and the low line crews with still absolutely no resolution to this problem, what's my next step?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i am not an electrician but i think a voltage regulator may help. it should regulate the voltage coming in (which should be 210-220, apparently) and protect your equipment.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i am not an electrician but i think a voltage regulator may help. it should regulate the voltage coming in (which should be 210-220, apparently) and protect your equipment.
    What she said. X2

Edenorte will only give you headaches.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default La Lu

Quote Originally Posted by SosuaJoe View Post
    Does anyone know for certain what the power company's actual limits are, as well as at what V the power is supposed to come in at.
    I think it should be 220-230V on 60Hz.
    But they deliver anything from 140 to 290 V (más ó menos) and it's called "la lu"....

donP

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

for a 220V connection you should always use a voltage regulator.
    those 220V come from 2 separate 110V connections, and both go independently up and down, all day and night long, so they united powers may reach low's of just 190V sometimes and their highs may reach powers of 270 or 280V sometimes.
    both, the highs and also the lows, fu$$s your equipment.
    even on a simple 1 line 110V connection a Voltage regulator is a lifetime safer for sensible equipment like Pumps, Fridges, Computers etc.
    dealing with Edenorte or any other elec provider about your damaged equipment and the ''estimated'' incoming power will not bring your damaged equipment back, but you risk to damage the next pool pump, too.
    if their Ingenieurio they sent would be a real one he would have suggested such option to you on the first visit, as a good Ing. he even should have made you a offer to purchase and install such.
    we had one installed by CEPM back in the Time when we lived in Veron,
    it worked very fine over the years on the 110V and on the 220V,
    the electrical equipments in the house always had a constant power, in all the years not one machine damaged, no fridge repair, no burned computer, no damaged TV set etc, and that was very different in the prior years, we lived 9 years at the place in total.
    good luck
    Mike
    Mike

www.MikeFisherPuntaCana.com
    [email protected]
    Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Dominican Republic
    Mike Fisher Facebook Group on

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We are coming down again (with a laptop) should I be looking at some kind of regulator for my PC? Sure don't want it fried. IF so what exactly should I be looking for (renting in Caribe Campo)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know much about electricity. Is it possible to put a regulator on the entire incoming system at the meter or breaker box, or do i need regulators for each major appliance (or one for appliances located in proximity)?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting... but what is the cost of a voltage regulator, where can I get it, how should it be installed, etc...

just so I can negotiate correctly with my local electrician...

great post btw...

BelgianK

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puryear270 View Post
    I really don't know much about electricity. Is it possible to put a regulator on the entire incoming system at the meter or breaker box, or do i need regulators for each major appliance (or one for appliances located in proximity)?
    Yes, you can install a 1 - 10 kw voltage regulator or a inverter, best a programable type.

Most good inverters are set up to cut in and out at low voltage as well as high voltage, mine is set to cut in at 106 vac on the low side, and on the high side 136 vac.

One on each incoming hot lines of course for the 220 vac.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

errr i think regulator should go somewhere in the last sentence, not sure where though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast