Why, of all days and nights, now???

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The general pic... lousy edenorte, being out most of the day... then a mini-tornado hitting Jarabacoa... torrential rains (and apparently even some hail)... of course, luz being absent for several hours... and us ending up in the dark, our batteries drained...

and then our Malinois deciding this was the perfect moment to give birth...

so I raced up the hill, on my borrowed moto, towards our very own CB, and he borrowed me his portable inverter... which I loaded up my moto, and transported as far as the hill down towards my house...

I stopped, and looked, with serious misgivings and serious despair, towards the slope downwards...

At that moment, a guy who lets his horses roam around our place stopped beside me... I explained my predicament, and without hesitation he picked up the inverter and raced down towards our house...

I followed at a slighter and more reasonable pace, as it was pitch dark...

Arrived, he absolutely refused any payment whatsoever... and wished me well with the puppies and the mother...

so far... 10 healthy puppies, a stressed and tired mother (her first litter), and a hell of a lot of noise... lol

Thanks to CB for lending me the inverter, which, in retrospect we did not need (as the electricity came back on the moment I arrived back at the house), but could have been a life-saver...

Thanks to CB for calling us to check everything was going ok... it just shows how great a friend he is, and how big an animal-lover he and his esposa are...

And thanks for this Dominican cow-herder, knowing us only slightly... but nevertheless helping us, without wanting anything in return...

I now need an expat or Dominican to lend me some earplugs.... whahahahahaha

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
update

now 11 pups, and I think I should start looking for someone who has a goat to squeeze to give extra milk... (goat's milk is great as it resembles the mother's milk and provides the same antibodies of the mother...)

Any help appreciated...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
After Belgiank stopped counting at 11 and decided it was time for him to go to bed, nr. 12 was born :cheeky: and then she stopped.

Mother and pups are doing excellent, all pups are mostly the same size, not one I say I have to keep an eye on (too small, to weak), they are all feeding well and taking turns with the necessary noise ofcourse.

I have an interesting set of dogs listening at the other end of the door, tilting their head with every noise the pups make, its really funny to watch them thinking...what the hec is making that noise??? whoehaa

Thanks JR for the link for the names, I will have a look at them but maybe more appropiate for the pups of Flash who will be born somewhere next week (I told here please please to wait till next week lol) and since she is the Australian Shepherd, I will definetely find some good names for her pups there.

Thanks from my part too to CB and his lovely wife to lend us a hand.

And thanks to my incredible hubbie to run around bringing new blankets, fresh water and all other stuff I wanted this night.

I haven't got the chance to see how much males and females there are, every time I picked up a pup, mama immediately snatched it back out of my hands to keep it close to here so that will have to wait a while.

Now just enjoying watching the pups and probably within a few weeks will be cursing as they start to explore around ;)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
will be posting some pics tomorrow, but as mi esposa took the camera and is sleeping in the room with the pups, I cannot do so now...

I started the tradition of naming our Malinois after cocktails or famous booze... and would really love some help with this...

I cannot imagine doing this alone... going through the coctail-list, finding a decent name, and then trying it out to make sure it fits a Belgian Shepherd...

This would be ok for 3 or 4 pups... but 12 !!!! :squareeye

Now, we want short names, or easily abbreviated... as this helps in training...

and no... for the obvious jokers amongst you... "sex on the beach" is not an option... I honestly do not want to walk my dog on Sosua beach, and then have to yell.... " SEX here "... It would be just too much of a disappointment to all the women there if I had to explain I was just calling my dog...:bunny::bunny:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I started the tradition of naming our Malinois after cocktails or famous booze... and would really love some help with this...

and no... for the obvious jokers amongst you... "sex on the beach" is not an option... I honestly do not want to walk my dog on Sosua beach, and then have to yell.... " SEX here "... It would be just too much of a disappointment to all the women there if I had to explain I was just calling my dog...:bunny::bunny:

Hilarious.

I'm a fan of daquaris, rumaritas (margarita with rum instead of tequila), hurricanes (a New Orleans drink), and anything else with rum in it... which now explains to everyone why I chose to move to the D.R.:glasses:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
got sumtin' for ya! we have this... hmm.... drink, i guess... in poland. it is called wściekły pies (perro rabioso): in a vodka shot glass you put vodka, then raspberry syrup, then two drops of tabasco. heavy syrup drops to the bottom so as you take a shot you taste briefly the bitterness of vodka, the spiciness of tabasco and then the sweetness of syrup.

2zi4y9l.jpg

and pliz, just pliz, post pics of the puppies!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
No wonder these forum discussions get so lively: we all drink.

When I'm drinking, I love everybody and I have the answers for all the problems in the world. And I am convinced if I just yell loud enough, everyone else will clearly see the wisdom of my solutions.

Now, back to the dogs: do you just use names of mixed drinks, or do you also use liquor names?

I'm thinking Bailey, Seagram, bourbon, Jack Daniels, grappa, and sangria would all be cool dog names.

For some reason, I'm thirsty now.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
got sumtin' for ya! we have this... hmm.... drink, i guess... in poland. it is called wściekły pies (perro rabioso): in a vodka shot glass you put vodka, then raspberry syrup, then two drops of tabasco. heavy syrup drops to the bottom so as you take a shot you taste briefly the bitterness of vodka, the spiciness of tabasco and then the sweetness of syrup.

2zi4y9l.jpg

Will keep it in mind as the characters of the pups develop, maybe one can be called appropiate then "perro rabioso" whoeaa

eum...pics are under thread Belgiank and Acira become abuelos.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

2zi4y9l.jpg

Anything with Vodka sounds great to me!!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
At least I was right about one thing... there are a hell of a lot of booze-enthusiasts on this board....:laugh:

Some great names so far...

Shnapps is german, and for a Belgian shepherd this is an insult... lol

The belgian version does not sound that great though.... jenever????? (to make it more plausible... the e would sound like an american a..., except for the last one which would sound like euh... lol)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
At least I was right about one thing... there are a hell of a lot of booze-enthusiasts on this board....:laugh:

Some great names so far...

Shnapps is german, and for a Belgian shepherd this is an insult... lol

The belgian version does not sound that great though.... jenever????? (to make it more plausible... the e would sound like an american a..., except for the last one which would sound like euh... lol)

ZHANAVEUH is a beautiful sounding name for a female dog.

I can't speak for the others, but I do love the alcohol.

Schnapps would be a good name for a German Shepherd, then.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont suppose pimms would be considered lol

karmaliet. lillet (although you would get funny looks in England lol)

Last edited: