Taking flatscreen tv from us in suitcase?

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Exactly the title! :cheeky: i was wondering what are the criteria for taking a 32" philips flatscreen tv in a maleta? would customs charge me for it? if so how much! i just bought it on sale at a very good price and was wondering how hard it is to take through the Santiago airport! Thanks!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
When the $%& at the airport want to charge you $1000 to bring in your $400 tv, be prepared to smash it to bits. They xray everything at that airport.

At Christmas time you might get it in duty free.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Really?

Really? but i thought anything 32" or under was duty free??? or is this only during christmas?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Bringing Flat Screen in your Suitecase

Hola:

Last fall I brought both a 32" and 22" flat screen inside my suitcases into Las Americas. The 32" and some beach towels were the only items in one very large suitecase which still met measurement requirements on flights from the U.S. to the D.R. My wife and I are american gringos and look like typical tourists. If you are travelling on a Dominican Passport I would not recommend tying this. We breezed through customs. We had a total of 4 suitecases for 2 people. We also had a lot of other assorted stuff with us. I took the 32" flat screen out of the box, used the box to cut cardboard to fold around the TV and then wrapped in bubble wrap. I had no problems with the TV arriving without damage.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Do you have a suitcase that will fit a 32 inch TV and protect it from the baggage handling? And that they will take on the airplane? It will be a very large suitcase.

I suspect it would be easier at POP than in Santiago.

Yes i do! my father has done it twice through sd! but my problem is i dont travel to sd because of the unconfortable travel from sd to santiago! and i already have my return flight through santiago.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have never had my checked luggage scanned at either POP or SDQ. I don't think they even have the equipment. I've heard Punta Cana is the most lax of all of them for aduanas on incoming passengers. Santiago is another matter, and as was posted earlier they scan everything, which creates an enormous bottleneck at the one and only machine they have. One of the reasons I now try to avoid flying into STI if I can.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have never had my checked luggage scanned at either POP or SDQ. I don't think they even have the equipment. I've heard Punta Cana is the most lax of all of them for aduanas on incoming passengers. Santiago is another matter, and as was posted earlier they scan everything, which creates an enormous bottleneck at the one and only machine they have. One of the reasons I now try to avoid flying into STI if I can.

True, STI does scan.. Pop ususally just has a few guys who randomly check a few bags...POP is the safer bet..nAnd even if you get your bag checked, just have a nice $50 bill ready for a tip..I gaurantee you, you will get the tv in..

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Santiago (ladrones) scans everyone, tourist or not. The $50 may work or it may not.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
When we came into Santiago last time from Fort Lauderdale, they did scan our bags... welll....

we had to put our bags on the belt of the scanner, and yes... they went through the scanner, but the screen was not switched on... and the lady supposedly watching the screen was resting her feet on top of the machine...

So I was not really impressed... mind you... this was spirit air at 2 am in the morning...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
we had to put our bags on the belt of the scanner, and yes... they went through the scanner, but the screen was not switched on... and the lady supposedly watching the screen was resting her feet on top of the machine...

And yet everyone put their bags on the scanner, because Heaven forbid someone not do that.

It's all so wonderfully Dominican, and why I (and many of us on here) love this country so much.

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
Before buying a flat screen, I asked the official at Santiago airport customs what is permissible. He advised me up to 26" is free (he also advised me that I can also bring in up to 12 pairs of sneakers and 12 jeans). I brought in the items without any problem, even advising the inspectors that I was bringing in a tv.

Reactions: waytogo

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
That is priceless. And as was mentioned, "So Dominican".

What size suitcase was used for a 32 inch TV?

its an old maleta from the 70lbs limit days of air travel it fits perfectly! damn so i might have to pay freight on this thing!!! 600 bucks to ship it! thats more than the tv!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
a week ago i went shopping in price smart and i checked the prices for flat TV - well i found them really fair priced and would not consider import one.
call them and ask for prices and make up your mind. the tel# you find on their internet page.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
In December 2008 I brought a 32" flat screen TV with me to POP in the original box and packaging. I thought I was being smart by making a cloth cover for the box, but they spotted it right away and made us open the cover. I told them it was for my apartment in Cabarete. They then checked my passport for all the arrivals and departures and then waved us through.
However, that was in the middle of December and maybe that was why....Christmas amnesty!

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
In December 2008 I brought a 32" flat screen TV with me to POP in the original box and packaging. I thought I was being smart by making a cloth cover for the box, but they spotted it right away and made us open the cover. I told them it was for my apartment in Cabarete. They then checked my passport for all the arrivals and departures and then waved us through.
However, that was in the middle of December and maybe that was why....Christmas amnesty!

Snowbird, do you have your Dominican Residency? I do not think gringos / tourists are technically entitled to the Christmas amnesty. Can someone confirm this?

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Ok so do u guys think i should change my flight to another airport???? cause i really wanna take this tv back with me!!!! which would be better? SDQ or POP?

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I just flew into Santiago, had a bunch of electronics, 3 sat receivers, wii, 4 security system cameras. They were very close to making me pay threw the nose, but the stupid guys looked at the security dvr/monitor (brand new in the box) and thought it was a microwave oven. They let me through without paying, barely.

BTW, I think that phillips tv fits in a carton barrel.