Buyer Beware

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Removed.

You need to post your name and contact details.

Then I have no problem you posting names and facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Removed.

You need to post your name and contact details.

Then I have no problem you posting names and facts.
My name is James Allen , and my contact details are jaiallen74@gmail.com
my contact phone is (809)848-0270.

The dealer I inferenced in the original post was Pioneer Motors USA/Caribbean , Cabarete , the owner is Oscar Girod ,

Cabarete, Puerto plata,
Dominicn Republic:
Phone:(809)571-0275
Mobil:(809)977-9650
E-mail:
pioneercaribbean@yahoo.com
1701 Whitehall Dr.
Davie, FL.33324 USA
Phone:(954)237-3849
Fax:(954)474-1664
I do not appreciate the inference that this is gossip though as my friend , who I am in the process of finding legal representation for because he is a pacifist minister is out of $3,000.00 dollars , and being an attorney from the U.S. myself , I am trying to resolve the issue.

I think posting names is dangerous in this or any Third World nation , but I will abide by your policy.

As I was saying , My friend , an American expat and a close friend purchased a 150cc Dune Buggy from the Pioneer Shop in Cabarete on April 16 , he has the receipt if you need to see that too. The friend lives in Islabon not far from the Cabana , a black American named John , his contact details are alvinjcarter@hotmail.com if that helps. He had earlier purchased a motorcycle from Pioneer that had a few issues , but the owner took it back and sold it , for twice what the buyer paid for it. He then purchased the dune buggy which he drove for one week and the engine retaining bolt broke. After the bolt broke and the engine fell on the ground in the center of Cabarete , the dealer repaired it , but it never worked right since . It caught on fire , burning the drive belt 4 times , and now it wont run at all and the owner refuses to fix it stating that it is the buyer's fault because he drove too fast once from Islabon to Cabarete centro and the owner claims to have been watching him drive it the week that he had it before then engine broke.

The owner even threatened myself when I inquired. I was going to buy a few myself for a start up business had the dealer been reputable , now , since I was threatened , I am angry , and am exasperated for my friend who has little recourse in this country.

The last thing I want to say is that there was a American lady who had bought a 3 wheeler from this dealer , same quality control issues , the owner repaired it , without complaint. I get the feeling that the owner is doing this because my friend is a black American expat.

The contact number is his as I am in and out of the country on business but you can verify the details with him. I am thinking this site is for expats to be able to HELP one another and the thought of someone else getting ripped off is unbearable to me and I only want to warn others. Consumer protection isn't gossip.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Why don't you have someone go into his dealership and ask him
If I purchase a Dune buggy from you here in the D.R., and bring it back to my home in Florida at a later date, will you honor the warranty in Florida?
Ask for this in writing, with this in hand maybe you can tie the 2 locations together as one enterprise and file a lawsuit in the U.S.
a BIG maybe, but maybe worth a try.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
That's what I was thinking. As the website lists them as one company , the BBB in Miami stated they have jurisdiction , although the BBB can neither force him to honor the warranty nor refund the money. The company website lists both the D.R. details and the Davie Florida details , so it seems to be one enterprise.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That's what I was thinking. As the website lists them as one company , the BBB in Miami stated they have jurisdiction , although the BBB can neither force him to honor the warranty nor refund the money. The company website lists both the D.R. details and the Davie Florida details , so it seems to be one enterprise.

I know when I would make a major purchase in the states, I would check with the BBB first. It is amazing how many purchases I backed away from because of a negative record. Even before I would hire a building contractor I would first check with the Corporation Commission for their track record.
Maybe your friend will never see a dime, but he can have the satisfaction of knowing that his complaint with the BBB is public record and will show a status of being unsatisfied.......FOREVER, or until he makes things right.
When he doe's this, send a copy to the owner, but I think the BBB does this for you.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Buggy Toys

I get the feeling that the owner is doing this because my friend is a black American expat.
I don't think so.
Customer protection in this country hardly exists, once the money is paid (especially for used items) it's all your problem.
I am even surprised that the seller accepted some responsibility and straightened out some problems.

BTW, do not expect too much from those 150 cc playthings, they are not really meant for the DR and its traffic or conditions.

donP

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I agree now , but something NEW that doesn't even work for 90 days ? I viewed him as he drove from Islabon to Cabarete Centro , never further , 90 days and it falls apart ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Roadworthiness

I agree now , but something NEW that doesn't even work for 90 days ? I viewed him as he drove from Islabon to Cabarete Centro , never further , 90 days and it falls apart ?
These Chinese things come in large cardboard boxes and are then assembled here.
God knows whether all bolts and nuts are used. Often lock washers and lock nuts are not put in the right places and a good mechanic should check for roadworthiness before the first ride.

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
These Chinese things come in large cardboard boxes and are then assembled here.
God knows whether all bolts and nuts are used. Often lock washers and lock nuts are not put in the right places and a good mechanic should check for roadworthiness before the first ride.

donP
ALL bikes come in boxes and are "assembeld" here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Something tells me this gives new meaning to the term "Jesus Clip"
:cheeky:

When we ordered our 12 bikes, we told Bonanza we wanted to be present when they were assembled. So they called us and we went to their Santo Domings shop for the "birthing" of our babies.

We thought we were "big customers" because we had ordered many millions of pesos of bikes.

Little did we know that these guys, at the time, sold 2,000 motos a month, and had a shop half the size of a football field with shipping boxes stacked to the 20' ceiling with crates of boxes. They had 15 f/t workers that did nothing but assemble bikes all day, abd Daihatsu trucks just kept pulling up, one after another, to haul the bikes away.

They assembled about 100 per day! It was like a symphony they way not one extra movement was made in the process.

Our bikes were bigger. It took them about 15 miunutes each to put them together.

Another eye-opening Dominican business experience.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we use the 150CC's Dune's for Tours.
they hold just a few months even with daily maintenance and then they go on the Trash.
they are not built for rough use like you would expect it from a ATV or a tough build Dune, the Chinese variations are Toys for Kids to learn how to drive off public Roads on limited speeds.
we do not sell anymore the used ones, they are only used as spare parts, something you need on Daily bases from the beginning.
the first ones we sold used but customers came back with problems several times per week.
we import them ourselves,
the Import license for the East Coast is hold by my Buddy Dirk, a Belgium Guy who is running Dune and ATV businesses since much more than 10 years here.
Mike

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
oh! and completely legal on the street too.

Legal on the street? I've seen motorcycles on the street that were held together by wire with smoke belching worse than the Iceland volcano and four people riding.

What is NOT legal on the street, and where is the law enforced?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the above poster Funbug, Kurt, I know myself, a good friend of mine.
e is thhe constructor of thhe real Fun Buggies, a licensed car manufacturer in the DR, te companys name is Fun Car Caribe.
and is reasonin about legal is very important, because is cars are real cars/Buggies, real engines, real papers, full insurance on a New Car, if you drive a ATV kind tingy on the road most here do not have any of that, and the day it makes bangg you are fu$$ed.
I drove such Buggy as the spare car myself for Years, great Fun, and when He ggives a 1 year Warranty it is something you can count on, reliable since over 15 years in bavaro as a Businessman.
cheers
Mike

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

They assembled about 100 per day! It was like a symphony they way not one extra movement was made in the process.

Our bikes were bigger. It took them about 15 miunutes each to put them together.
\

This sounds way more fun than some dodgy cigar factory and sugarcane-jewelry making tour!!!
Where do I sign up???